• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I watched this on iFollow so my report is based on that. First half we were the better side in every department apart from conceding so soon after scoring. When Cox headed his goal you could see the confidence surge through him and he was much more like the Cox of last season. It was also good to see McLaughlin find the net and the whole side were playing the ball about on the ground far more than I have seen this season. Then we had the penalty. Nile was dancing through and was bought down. At this point Cox is shouting for the ball, he's the penalty taker. Not a chance reckons Nile, I'm the one fouled, I'm the one to take the penalty. The pair of them had a bit of a push and shove for the ball until Coxy realised that Nile was truly intent on taking the kick, which he did and we were 3-1 up. I'll pass on the goal celebrations. The sending off by the way was definitely deserved. Lenny was about to go clean through so he had to go. Great reaction from Fleetwood's O'Neill when he got to the tunnel, anything that was inanimate and kickable got kicked. Good job Fleetwood didn't have a cat in the vicinity. So, half time and a smug feeling, not had for some time before today. Second half was a bit of an anti-climax really. The Blues retained possession with some good one and two touch passing, but they never looked as threatening as in the first half. Maybe, if you're winning 3-1 and Tuesday is beckoning, there's no need to bust a gut. We did manage another goal from McGlashan late on and then we just had to go and concede another to them. No doubt there will be a bit of debate as to Kyrianou's part in their second goal. It has to be said that Fleetwood were dire, even before they went down to 10 men, but you can only beat what's put in front of you. Wright had a good debut, Ferdinand looked a lot more confortable than of late and Cox has hopefully nailed the can't score hoodoo. Roll on Tuesday and Wimbledon.

Good for u spent the first 45 trying to get a 6.oo match pass which for some reason i couldent get! No single game fee available for this game! Very annoyed

Lol another brown hater! U dont have a clue about football! Phil brown is the man with the plan! Haters bore off

Good for u spent the first 45 trying to get a 6.oo match pass which for some reason i couldent get! No single game fee available for this game! Very annoyed

I think until the VPN is working correctly, it knows you are in the UK and won't offer the single game option. I had the same issue the other week, no matter what VPN I used. I gave up too

Yes - 3 points - good .......... but there was more to the game than just that.

First half - 8 out of 10. 3 goals, bounced back from the comedy goal and played some nice football - looked like we were the home team.

Second half - 3 out of 10. Scored 1, let in 1 and against 10 men. Should have gone for more goals and "the jugular" just as Rotherham did against us. Disapointing compared to the first 45 minutes.

Strange game that.

Last week I said I believed our season turned itself around when Lady Luck finally showed up with Dimi's deflected goal. Today merely underlined. There was only team who turned up, and that was us. And dya know what, we actually looked liked a team that could do something. We got off to a flying start with Cox burying his header past the keeper. It lasted about 10 seconds and two touches from the kick off. Bizarre to say the least. (I will say with my old ref's head off, if the ball hadn't gone in, Oxley may well have seen red for the late challenge).

From then on there was only really one team in it. Forget the sending off (which it was, no complaints from them). We passed the ball around neatly and patiently, probing for gaps and made a few chances, before that happened. Macca popped up with a tidy finish and Ranger clever run won him a penalty which he converted. 3-1 at half time, thank you very much.

Fleetwood offered little - two chances, dealt with well by Oxley - in the second half. We didn't really do much. With two games next week, couldn't afford injuries. So yeah, whilst it was disappointing we didn't seek to improve the goal difference, we never looked in danger. Dimi nearly popped up with goal of the season with a lovely chip and we got behind them a few times. Finally, it was two subs, Fortune and McG who conjured up the fourth. Stupidly we conceded in injury time with what looked like some Keystone Cops defending from Hendrie.

Very impressed with young Kyprianou today. His distribution still leaves room for improvement, but defensively, he is improving every game and does not look out of place. Yeah, we've been unlucky with defensive injuries, but he's taken his chance and is well worth his place at the moment.

Jeez , and there was me thinking we'd actually won :stunned:
It's a match report, are people meant to ignore The had stufff simply because we won? If will loose 1-0 in the 95th minute having dominated and hit the post 6 times do you want ignore all that because we lost? You can't have it both ways,l. I get brown is saying " i will ignore their goals as we won"

Fleetwood offered little - two chances, dealt with well by Oxley - in the second half. We didn't really do much. With two games next week, couldn't afford injuries. So yeah, whilst it was disappointing we didn't seek to improve the goal difference, we never looked in danger. Dimi nearly popped up with goal of the season with a lovely chip and we got behind them a few times. Finally, it was two subs, Fortune and McG who conjured up the fourth. Stupidly we conceded in injury time with what looked like some Keystone Cops defending from Hendrie.

Very impressed with young Kyprianou today. His distribution still leaves room for improvement, but defensively, he is improving every game and does not look out of place. Yeah, we've been unlucky with defensive injuries, but he's taken his chance and is well worth his place at the moment.

It was Kyprianou doing the Keystone Cops bit LF, not Hendrie.

Also watched on iFollow, have to say, it was a good performance, and as I predicted in the pre-match thread, I fancied us to win. Yes there are negatives in the sloppy goals conceded and the fact we were up against 10 for most of the match. But we played some lovely, neat passing football and created numerous chances. Cox had an effort cleared off the line and Demi nearly scored with a chip from 30 odd yards. Let's take the positives! Wordsworth was excellent, almost scored from the free kick after the sending off. Leonard was everywhere as usual hustling and bustling, and Macca and Wright looked lively. Some of our one touch football was outstanding. The defence was rarely troubled and Anton looked more comfortable. Demetriou also had a good game. Cox's movement was outstanding and Ranger was always threatening.

I was amazed how poor Fleetwood were though, a shadow of the team from last season. I know they were down to 10 but they gave us so much space in the second half and seemed resigned to the defeat. Our defence could have got out deckchairs in the second half there was so little pressure, until Devante Cole came on.

Although there are still concerns around defence, we need to take this as a major confidence boost and remember we are a good team.

This makes up for the disappointment of last season when I was there for the 1-1 draw when we conceded at the death.

As has been mentioned O'Neill's kung fu antics in the tunnel after the sending off were a sight to behold!!

Now let's follow this up with a win on Tuesday!

We played well and even though the sending-off certainly changed the game, we'd been the better team before then too. Switched off for their equaliser but we responded well, took our chances and killed them off when they went down to 10 men. Don't think Fleetwood can have any complaints about the penalty or the red card. Second half was a bit of a non-event as you'd probably expect, we passed the ball around nicely and Fleetwood rarely threatened and never looked like coming back into it. McGlashan was a good substitution and he had a good impact when he came on. Was disappointed with Fleetwood, they were pretty poor overall but they clearly have some good players. An enjoyable first game of the season for me! Ratings:

Oxley 6 - Could maybe be criticised for their first goal but made a couple of saves in the second half

Demetriou 7 - Not really troubled defensively and almost scored in the second half with a brilliant chip.
Ferdinand 7 - Solid overall but like Oxley could be criticised for their first goal.
Kyprianou 7 - First time I've seen him and other than missing the ball for their second goal he looked steady and assured.
Timlin 6 - Got forward more after they went down to 10 men. Few stray passes.

Wright 7 - Tidy on the ball and saw plenty of it but he's not a winger, don't remember him taking on his man at all. Will need to find a way to fit him into the team.
Leonard 7 - Typical Lenny performance. His harrying caused the sending-off.
Wordsworth 6 - Pretty quiet but kept the ball well in the middle.
McLaughlin 7 - A goal and an assist, can't ask for more than that.

Ranger 7 - At first he was losing out in the air to their big centre-halves but he got more into the game as we started playing it into his feet more. Some lovely touches and great play for the penalty.
Cox 8 - MoTM. Looked up for it and worked his socks off all game. Linked up well with Ranger and deserved his goal.

Subs:
McGlashan 7 - Was exactly the right substitute to bring on and he had their defence on toast every time we got it out to him. Looked like he really wanted to score and so he did.
Fortune 7 - Great work to set up the fourth goal.
Hendrie 6 - Didn't really do anything of note.

He sat in front of Demi and stayed there for most of the match whilst providing cover for Demi who spent a great deal of time going up and down the wing. Reminded me of a player called Atkinson .......

Yep. For some reason we've always been best with right midfielder tucking inside and an out & out left winger - Pettefer/Gower & Atkinson/McLaughlin. I've mentioned this before but people always try to make formations look symmetrical when written down on a page when that's not often how it works in reality.

This is often ends up with that right sided player being viewed as unproductive by the fans but appreciated by the players and management.

Yep, good point.

Often it depends how good someone is going forward from full-back.

In yesterday's case, Timlin is not so good in a forward role from left-back, whereas Demi is.

Thinking back to the days of Chris Powell. He would push forward right to the bye-line often, but had Tilly playing that side, who would tuck in.

Whereas on the right, Dean Austin was not quite so good going forward, but had Andy Ansah playing more as a winger on that side.

Back