• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Even though its just up the road for me its a truly unexciting draw, crap uncovered away end, can't a get a beer in the ground either.... Probably only be 1500 there as they are struggling and their gates are shocking.

To those driving down, 3 Hours to Yeovil on a good run.

...but they have the exquisitely named Tamburino Stand.

About a mile from me....by canoe!

Brilliant!... I will keep you in mind for my next cost saving measure across the Thames towards the medway!

BTW... does your canoe offer a full bar service with snacks? (I'm partial to a hot bacon butty myself, failing that, any chance of some crisps?)

Brilliant!... I will keep you in mind for my next cost saving measure across the Thames towards the medway!

BTW... does your canoe offer a full bar service with snacks? (I'm partial to a hot bacon butty myself, failing that, any chance of some crisps?)

Not across the Thames, down it!

To be fair, not everyone (other than rats) lives in Roots Hall.

For example, I'm sure it would take Suffolk Shrimper or MK Shrimper to name but a few a fair bit of journey to get there.

Only 150 miles from Milton Keynes to Yeovil, that's closer than going from Southend. So no excuse for any Southend fans in MK not to go:smile:

Down it?.... not towards the french!?!..I can't be dealing with garlic on an away day!

180 miles from Southend . About 3 and a half hours without stopping. With toilet breaks and parking it would end up not far off 5.

180 miles from Southend . About 3 and a half hours without stopping. With toilet breaks and parking it would end up not far off 5.

One stop - half an hour at most, and isn't it Yeovil that has the beer tent outside for away fans? No trouble parking as far as I recall. 4 hours including stops, not much difference to any of the South Yorkshire clubs.

One stop - half an hour at most, and isn't it Yeovil that has the beer tent outside for away fans? No trouble parking as far as I recall. 4 hours including stops, not much difference to any of the South Yorkshire clubs.

Of course it can take longer than that if you get back to your car to find your tyre has a nail in it and you have to drive back to Essex at 50mph on the emergency wheel :( Happy days

Went down to Yeovil with The Trust a few years back, when we had sleet and snow and took about 4 hours

The open terrace certainly makes me realise it is not for me, stomping my feet to keep warm at 4 pm nor the poor inhouse food next to the toilets

However great fans and made to feel very welcome and nice to talk to away fans without some mug chanting abuse as I walk along

Some interesting Southend connections with Paul Sturrock, Dave Webb, Wayne Gray, Efe Sodje,Barrington Belgrave,Jakub Sokolik

UTS

Thats Oxford you're thinking off I believe.

From the Football Ground Guide;;

"I was pleasantly surprised to find a large marquee outside of the ground, that had been set up as a make shift beer tent. There was a large sign outside the marquee which announced that 'Everyone Is Welcome!' Just a pity that wasn't quite correct as any away fans in colours were turned away at the entrance by a couple of burly looking bouncers. Some visiting fans did refer the bouncers to the said sign, but to no avail."

So if you went to both Yeovil and Oxford you'd be nervous. Two tents.

The open terrace certainly makes me realise it is not for me, stomping my feet to keep warm at 4 pm nor the poor inhouse food next to the toilets

That was pretty much every game in the 1970's & 80's!

No, IIRC Oxford has a reasonable bar/catering under the stand.
I think there's a pub at Oxford that sometimes sets up a tent and doesn't Oxford also have a bowling alley or something alongside the ground? Definitely Yeovil I'm thinking of though - it was shut the time I went due to it being quite windy!

Memories for some of us veterans! I remember going to Yeovil in 1963 when we lost 1-0 to what was then a team in the Southern league. When we got off the train at Southend Central in the evening we passed queues outside the Odeon where people were hoping to get tickets for the Beatles gig.

From the Football Ground Guide;;

"I was pleasantly surprised to find a large marquee outside of the ground, that had been set up as a make shift beer tent. There was a large sign outside the marquee which announced that 'Everyone Is Welcome!' Just a pity that wasn't quite correct as any away fans in colours were turned away at the entrance by a couple of burly looking bouncers. Some visiting fans did refer the bouncers to the said sign, but to no avail."

So if you went to both Yeovil and Oxford you'd be nervous. Two tents.

Last time I was there I was allowed access to the tent without any issues at all. True, I did not have a Southend United hat on, no S.U.F.C. scarf either and even a person with the smallest amount of common sense could put on a top to cover their football shirt before they arrive at the tent. Once in ........... all was fine and pleasant. :thumbsup:

Back