• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just watched the Brown interview on iFollow and it's truly bizarre. One of the strangest interviews I've seen.

Echo what others have said - looks like a man under pressure. Makes you wonder if Ron has given him a points target over the next 3-5 games which he's currently a long way off achieving.

Just watched the Brown interview on iFollow and it's truly bizarre. One of the strangest interviews I've seen.

Echo what others have said - looks like a man under pressure. Makes you wonder if Ron has given him a points target over the next 3-5 games which he's currently a long way off achieving.

Or weather TefRon had a Frank exchange of views after Pompey & asked about value for money the club were getting?

I forgot that challenging for the play offs gets you promoted

That's not the point is it? Most people said they'd be happy with a mid table finish and we easily exceeded those expectations. To say it's a failure to end up 1 point off playoffs last season when not even our own fans thought we could do it is laughable. Whatever you think of Brown he's not failed with us at all up to this point.

That's not the point is it? Most people said they'd be happy with a mid table finish and we easily exceeded those expectations. To say it's a failure to end up 1 point off playoffs last season when not even our own fans thought we could do it is laughable. Whatever you think of Brown he's not failed with us at all up to this point.

We didn't get promoted. That's failure

The remit last season was to get promoted and we failed

Promotion cant be the only acceptable outcome every season.

The aim every year will to be promoted or there's no point turning up but I never expected us to get promoted last season so cant say the season was a failure, especially as it was an improvement on the year before. I had far more expectations this year than last, Id certainly say not making the play offs this season would be a failure after the investments made in the summer.

There's more to a successful season than 'just' promotion. Let's say we finish 16th but have some of the youngsters e.g. Yearwood, Ba, Wabo instead of some of the current senior players ready for next season. Let's say we have financial stability. Let's say we have the new stadium actually under way. I'd call that collective a successful season.

I think it is odd to hear these comments at this point. There have been several other games where his comments probably would have been fair after getting beat badly away from home a few times this season. So for him to come after what sounded like a better performance and not actually a loss is a bit strange. Even the Brown lovers must see that.

There is a real divide between fans at the moment whether Brown should or shouldn't be in a job but I think what I dislike about Brown is four things, one poster has already hit the nail on the head with one.

-He thinks he is Prem quality when IMO he is anything but.
-He lacks respect to SUFC fans by publicly begging for jobs he realistically stands no chance in getting. Been at least two cases of this. I will never forgive his comments on the football league show when talking about the how much he wanted the Bolton job.
-Constantly plays players out of position.
-Seems to plan very late for the season ahead and likes to get in older injury prone players and then blames luck when they get injured days later.

Even if we finish mid table this season I don't think he'll get the sack because him and Martin are a match made in heaven and I think Martin likes him way too much. That being said I don't think many people here can say we've won convincingly very much this season. Fleetwood and Blackburn are the only one's that I can think of, the other games I have walked away thinking several times 'how have we won that'.

History tells you that once managers start losing it and ranting like Brown, the end is nigh..... be it resignation or the sack.

I think it is now time for a change. A new man with fresh ideas and tactics can hopefully rejuvenate the squad.

I don't think Brown has done a bad job, far from it. He got us promoted and has consolidated since then. However, I don’t now see him as the man that can take us to the next level. It’s just gone a bit stale under him. Aside from any poor tactics, he now seems too agitated all the time and has gripes with just about everything and everyone. This is clearly feeding through to the players who more often than not are going through the motions.

Even for the ardent Brown fans, it must be hard to see how he can kick us on from here.

I wonder if Brown's disappointment at not getting even close to the Sunderland job is colouring his attitude towards the players. Perhaps he feels their generally poor performances this season have cost him his cherished ambition to get back to management in the Premier League and the bitterness of his comments reflects that.

I'd like to hear the full interview, but sometimes it's a trait of people who want out of something to self-sabotage.

All the self-aggrandizing of late, could be a way of forcing the hand of those who are tying his hands, whether the failing results (blaming the players) or being unable to look at other options (blaming the chairman).

It does seem, from an outsider, that words might have been spoken between RM and PB and, like others have said, some form of short term ultimatum is on the table (i.e. a number of points achieved by Christmas).

PB could well be looking at where he might be next summer and seeing these other jobs around, wondering if he should force his hand to jump ship now, in case the team doesn't deliver and he isn't offered a new contract.

I wonder if Brown's disappointment at not getting even close to the Sunderland job is colouring his attitude towards the players. Perhaps he feels their generally poor performances this season have cost him his cherished ambition to get back to management in the Premier League and the bitterness of his comments reflects that.

I doubt it. When I Jokingly asked PB if he was going to Sunderland he said No straight away.

Chris Phillips slipped the question into a conversation knowing full well how PB would answer. Well done Chris you got your Headline and a thread with 30 pages on here and it can be used on every other thread as well.

I'm amazed (well not really) how upset fans claim to be over their mangers comments on TV, radio or in the Echo. In the funny world of football. Other fans at other clubs want their manger sacked for not showing enough passion after a defeat etc.

I doubt it. When I Jokingly asked PB if he was going to Sunderland he said No straight away.

Chris Phillips slipped the question into a conversation knowing full well how PB would answer. Well done Chris you got your Headline and a thread with 30 pages on here and it can be used on every other thread as well.

I'm amazed (well not really) how upset fans claim to be over their mangers comments on TV, radio or in the Echo. In the funny world of football. Other fans at other clubs want their manger sacked for not showing enough passion after a defeat etc.

1) Phil walked into that by giving the interview straight after the final whistle whilst emotions were running high. CP didn't dupe him and is simply doing what his employers pay him to do.
2) Why? I've followed Southend United for almost my entire life and when our manager touts himself for other roles via the media, it rankles me as it shows a degree of disloyalty. If I wanted another job at a different company, I wouldn't give an interview to an industry publication so my employer could see it. What makes football different to the rest of the world? Ambition is great, but should be managed with a degree of tact. Similarly, when the manager fails to take an ounce of responsibility for a performance, it irritates me. It's anything but amazing in my opinion.
3) We drew last night. Why give the players a public lambasting when there have been at least half a dozen performances worse than that this season?

1) Phil walked into that by giving the interview straight after the final whistle whilst emotions were running high. CP didn't dupe him and is simply doing what his employers pay him to do.
2) Why? I've followed Southend United for almost my entire life and when our manager touts himself for other roles via the media, it rankles me as it shows a degree of disloyalty. If I wanted another job at a different company, I wouldn't give an interview to an industry publication so my employer could see it. What makes football different to the rest of the world? Ambition is great, but should be managed with a degree of tact. Similarly, when the manager fails to take an ounce of responsibility for a performance, it irritates me. It's anything but amazing in my opinion.
3) We drew last night. Why give the players a public lambasting when there have been at least half a dozen performances worse than that this season?

I know this is now an established fact for many of you. But do you rally believe the Chairman of Sunderland would trawl through local news websites like the Echo to see who might be interested.

Same as the England job if he really thought he might have a chance he would have been talking to his mate big Sam rather than talking like any other fan about the 'dream job'

I know this is now an established fact for many of you. But do you rally believe the Chairman of Sunderland would trawl through local news websites like the Echo to see who might be interested.

Same as the England job if he really thought he might have a chance he would have been talking to his mate big Sam rather than talking like any other fan about the 'dream job'

It's probably the reason PB rang him then

Back