• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

genuinely can't believe people want Lenny to leave.

I do, because he deserves a chance to prove himself at a higher level. It's what's best for him even if it might not be best for us.

Ryan was in my place of work before the beginning of the season and I said I hope you get a move, you deserve it; and that is still the case.

Our best case of getting another player like Ryan is to find a young player with something about him and nurture them into the player we need. Ryan certainly isn't the player he is now by accident. Our greatest asset are our coaches. The question is who will fill that gap in the interim. Could Wright do it?

Blues turn down Blades' latest bid for Leonard

SOUTHEND United have rejected another offer from Championship high-flyers Sheffield United for star midfielder Ryan Leonard.

More...

If the figure being quoted in the Echo is right, then I really think Lenny should be allowed to leave. I am not being defeatist but after our start to the season, it has to be unlikely that we will get promoted this season. Really hope I am proved wrong but Ron is gambling on a real outside bet by refusing the latest offer. I don't want to see Lenny go but if we don't get promoted then he would definitely be off anyway.

I would like to think the Club have a short list of possible replacements even a loan player to tide us over until the end of the season. In my opinion the sum of money being offered is staggering, considering Lenny can go for free at the end of the season.

Mind we could have an unbeaten December in which case I might well change my mind.

If it's £700K we have to take that and say thank you and good bye to one of all my all time favourite players.

If the figure being quoted in the Echo is right, then I really think Lenny should be allowed to leave. I am not being defeatist but after our start to the season, it has to be unlikely that we will get promoted this season. Really hope I am proved wrong but Ron is gambling on a real outside bet by refusing the latest offer. I don't want to see Lenny go but if we don't get promoted then he would definitely be off anyway.

I would like to think the Club have a short list of possible replacements even a loan player to tide us over until the end of the season. In my opinion the sum of money being offered is staggering, considering Lenny can go for free at the end of the season.

Mind we could have an unbeaten December in which case I might well change my mind.

This is exactly as I said earlier in the thread, notwithstanding some people have amazingly already given this season up, I haven't and I hope that Ron and Phil and also the players haven't and therefore, if we haven't ( and why should we ), Lenny is an integral part of any good form we would have

Lenny has been one of my favourite players for a while. A lot of footballers in his position would have had a massive strop, refused to play or not put any effort on the pitch. I have seen no change in his game since the talks began. He obviously wants to leave for a bigger team and money so I have the upmost respect for him when he does go. He is a big player and an integral part of our team. We will miss him and will find it extremely difficult to replace him with someone as good as him.

Lenny has been one of my favourite players for a while. A lot of footballers in his position would have had a massive strop, refused to play or not put any effort on the pitch. I have seen no change in his game since the talks began. He obviously wants to leave for a bigger team and money so I have the upmost respect for him when he does go. He is a big player and an integral part of our team. We will miss him and will find it extremely difficult to replace him with someone as good as him.

Ah the old myth that footballers down tools and have massive strops!! This hardly ever happens and at the end of the day we are still paying his wages so what right would he have to do any of these.

Personally I don't want him to leave, because he is a very good player, but if that's going to happen (and I expect it will at some point) then so be it.

Problem is any money we make will no doubt go into running the club and not a replacement (though it may free up some wages for that!!)

This is exactly as I said earlier in the thread, notwithstanding some people have amazingly already given this season up, I haven't and I hope that Ron and Phil and also the players haven't and therefore, if we haven't ( and why should we ), Lenny is an integral part of any good form we would have
It's not about giving up but the top 6 are just far too strong IMO. The only team I could realistically see dropping out is Shrewsbury and we'll be fighting a good 6 or 7 other decent teams for that last spot. And then even if we do make the play offs I can't see us getting past whichever 2 out of Charlton, Blackburn, Wigan and Bradford don't go up automatically so the chances of promotion are very slim at best. Is it really worth turning down such a large sum of money (if figures mentioned are true) for such a small chance at promotion? And you never know, we could make the play offs without Lenny.

It's not about giving up but the top 6 are just far too strong IMO. The only team I could realistically see dropping out is Shrewsbury and we'll be fighting a good 6 or 7 other decent teams for that last spot. And then even if we do make the play offs I can't see us getting past whichever 2 out of Charlton, Blackburn, Wigan and Bradford don't go up automatically so the chances of promotion are very slim at best. Is it really worth turning down such a large sum of money (if figures mentioned are true) for such a small chance at promotion? And you never know, we could make the play offs without Lenny.

There is still roughly half a season left, lots of points to win and lose .. we are still well within the race in my eyes, this division historically has been tight and you always get a team that puts a run together, from a mid table position at Christmas that makes the play offs. I don't see the play off teams as too strong either, I see them as targets.

As I said, I believe that the players and managers still believe we are in the mix and whilst we are in the mix, we must keep hold of our best players

Look on the bright side....If Ron can turn that offer down he must be confident of getting the green light for FF. Could it be that he would fund next year in the Championship whilst the stadium is being built.

Otherwise I can't see how it makes economic sense for a club in our position.

Quite a bid because of the shortness of his contract but a figure that I believe would be an absolute steal. If he goes for a million or on a free at the end of the season, his new club will have one of the bargains of the decade. The only thing missing from his game is enough quality on the pitch around him. Put him in a really good side and he will be formidable at any level. I hope we cash in, not just for the fee, but for the add ons. Money in the bank for some time to come!

Look on the bright side....If Ron can turn that offer down he must be confident of getting the green light for FF. Could it be that he would fund next year in the Championship whilst the stadium is being built.

Otherwise I can't see how it makes economic sense for a club in our position.

It does seem that money isn't a problem right now.....

There is still roughly half a season left, lots of points to win and lose .. we are still well within the race in my eyes, this division historically has been tight and you always get a team that puts a run together, from a mid table position at Christmas that makes the play offs. I don't see the play off teams as too strong either, I see them as targets.

As I said, I believe that the players and managers still believe we are in the mix and whilst we are in the mix, we must keep hold of our best players
You don’t see Blackburn, Charlton, Bradford and Scunthorpe as strong? Really?

I'd like to think i'm a optimistic Southend fan, and think we still have a chance at the play offs.

But, that type of money for someone who is out of contract at the end of the season is very, very good. If it's upped slightly and add-ons / sell on's are included I think we should be taking it.

For the future of the club it simply doesn't make sense to lose out on a £800k windfall

I guess it depends how the bid has been rejected.

It could be a flat refusal or it could be a "look fellas, you're in the ball park, but stick another £100k and some add-ons on top and we're in business".

Back