• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If we’re serious about getting promotion then how about Simon Grayson? He’s got Blackpool, Leeds, Huddersfield and Preston all promoted from this league.
Whether he’d want to move south is another question

Grayson's don't work in Essex, look at his brother

If Brown does go, it'll be Coughlan until the end of the season in my opinion. Knows the squad well, wouldn't cost us anything...

Maher to be his stand in assistant.

PB is still manager and while he is the players should remember they are no different than any of us who work for another ,if they dont like taking orders from him and playing the way he wants them too ,then be like the rest of us mere mortals go find another job,whilst PB is manager the players take orders from him,he is answering only to RM, and the players answer to PB.

Powell/Tilson dreamteam for me!

Ron Martin can eat humble pie. Tilson's dismissal was a farce as we all know. He had not 'lost the dressing room" as Adam Barrett and others would confirm. And not even Pepe Guardiola would have kept us up that season!

That particular point is always up for debate. People always talk about players not getting paid and off the field problems being the reason for our demise, which certainly are vaild points. However, Chris Wilder got Northampton promoted with similar circumstances. It goes to show that a job can be done, even if the hand you've been dealt is horrendous. It just depends on your character and managing approach.

Additionally, Ron Martin is adamant to this day that the squad we had was certainly good enough to stay up that season. Whether people agree with this sentiment will again be up for debate. One thing is for sure, Tilly would have been way out of his depth trying to accomplish the job that Sturrock did.

It really would be interesting to see how a 'healthy' Sturrock would handle the squad and budget that we have available now. Baring in mind he did a job feeding off scraps. A bit like our strikers :winking:

Whoever replaces Phil (and I think it's now fairly inevitable he won't last the season) will have to be seasoned in the transfer market with a fairly extensive set of contacts. We're in for one hell of a rebuilding job.

The whole love-in of the Cowley brothers is pure romantiscm, they hardly have a proven track record in the football league and as many have said, their ego's have got them looking for their next job at a higher level than ours.

Maher would be a great choice if you want to pay money to watch a team pass sideways and backwards whilst being managed by an inexperienced manager.

Adam Barrett, hmmmmm, had he stayed and been a coach then I could have seen the potential.

Coughlan, he's had years to move on so I'd assume he will go when Brown goes, possibly get a conference managerial job.

my choices would be Ardley, Ainsworth, Clarke at Bristol Rovers.

having said all that, we all know Brown is here to stay and we'll all have to suffer!!

I'm really surprised how many people want ST to return - sorry but he's had his time and did nothing when he left us, rather have Alan Little or Rob Newman back :omg:

Nathan Jones would be my choice,
But Luton are on the ascendancy at the moment , so why would he.
The Crowley’s, even ignoring their dislike of us, are also looking past our level for their next job.

Personally I think it will be another journeyman manger doing the rounds and he will be gone in a year as we slip down a division . I know I have said it before , but we are due a pony manager , we haven’t had one since Wignall and that’s almost 20 years and , regardless of when PB goes and why , i feel it will be his successor.

His successor is pretty screwed.

I feel we are a club entering a tailspin. An ageing squad; Brown's wasted what money we had on ageing veterans and has done a terrible job in bringing through young players; and a fanbase disillusioned by the joyless football (when was the last time Roots Hall rocked?).

Personally I can't see what difference promoting from within is going to make; we're better off with a fresh start.

Promoting from within would be a fresh start. They may be more likely to give chances to the likes of Bridge, Yearwood who wasn't been seen for two months, Bwomono - players that Kevin Maher knows well. This was the secret behind the Liverpool Boot Room back when they were actually good.

If we’re serious about getting promotion then how about Simon Grayson? He’s got Blackpool, Leeds, Huddersfield and Preston all promoted from this league.
Whether he’d want to move south is another question

Grayson OUT! Silverwood IN!

Who knows? Maybe it isn't?

The great thing about a potential 'caretaker' role (as we've all seen happen when a manager is severed) gives him the opportunity to show us both what he might be capable of and how the players might react even before making a substantial and risky investment in a new broom. IF we were to dispense with Brown at this point of a season, I'd see a lot of upside and very little downside.

I'm really keen on giving a caretaker a chance to claim their stake. It's generally an excellent chance to trial someone at basically no cost. That said we're not clear of relegation yet with a team that is going to struggle down the back straight and if we are going to get relegated this year then Brown should own his legacy.

I feel we are a club entering a tailspin. An ageing squad; Brown's wasted what money we had on ageing veterans and has done a terrible job in bringing through young players; and a fanbase disillusioned by the joyless football (when was the last time Roots Hall rocked?).

Think it's a bit harsh to say he's done a terrible job in bringing youth through. Bwomono, Yearwood and Kyprianou have all broken into the first-team squad this season. Brown also played his part in developing Bentley and Payne before they left and made the club some decent money. He's shown he's not afraid to give youngsters a chance when they deserve it (not just for the sake of it).

Nathan Jones would be my choice,
But Luton are on the ascendancy at the moment , so why would he.
The Crowley’s, even ignoring their dislike of us, are also looking past our level for their next job.

Personally I think it will be another journeyman manger doing the rounds and he will be gone in a year as we slip down a division . I know I have said it before , but we are due a pony manager , we haven’t had one since Wignall and that’s almost 20 years and , regardless of when PB goes and why , i feel it will be his successor.

To be fair the reason we haven't had one since then has been....well....Ron. He makes the decisions and I don't think anyone can complain about him making the right ones in Tilson, Sturrock and Brown. Ron is like Marmite - you either love him or hate him - but I have 100% faith in him picking a decent new manager for us when the time is right.

Promoting from within would be a fresh start. They may be more likely to give chances to the likes of Bridge, Yearwood who wasn't been seen for two months, Bwomono - players that Kevin Maher knows well. This was the secret behind the Liverpool Boot Room back when they were actually good.

I'm really keen on giving a caretaker a chance to claim their stake. It's generally an excellent chance to trial someone at basically no cost. That said we're not clear of relegation yet with a team that is going to struggle down the back straight and if we are going to get relegated this year then Brown should own his legacy.

Make your mind up .... successor is either screwed because of the ageing squad, or fortunate because he has Elvis ( 4 year deal from Phil ); Yearwood ( 4 year deal from Phil ); Harry K ( would still be playing I would say if he wasn't injured ); Wabo ( bench at MK Dons ); Ba ( signed by Phil ); Smith ( played by Phil a lot last season, but would find it tough to get in now because of Oxley - signed by Phil ) ......

Over the last 4 years you have bemoaned Phil Brown's appointment and predicted doom and gloom. The reality is of course we have gained promotion and a higher position in each of the last 4 years.

Whilst I do not expect that trend to continue there is absolutely no doubt that should Phil Brown leave tomorrow the club is in a significantly stronger position that when he took over.

Any successor, if appointed, has more than enough to work with. If they succeed in taking the team further, then congratulations to them they have built on Brown's legacy (as Brown has with Sturrock's) if they fail that is down to them, not Brown.

Think it's a bit harsh to say he's done a terrible job in bringing youth through. Bwomono, Yearwood and Kyprianou have all broken into the first-team squad this season. Brown also played his part in developing Bentley and Payne before they left and made the club some decent money. He's shown he's not afraid to give youngsters a chance when they deserve it (not just for the sake of it).

It's not at all harsh Bentley (and to a lesser extent) Payne both predate Brown and left two seasons ago.

Bwomono has played 4 games.
Yearwood has played less than 4 full games.

Make your mind up .... successor is either screwed because of the ageing squad, or fortunate because he has Elvis ( 4 year deal from Phil ); Yearwood ( 4 year deal from Phil ); Harry K ( would still be playing I would say if he wasn't injured ); Wabo ( bench at MK Dons ); Ba ( signed by Phil ); Smith ( played by Phil a lot last season, but would find it tough to get in now because of Oxley - signed by Phil ) ......

It's entirely consistent to think he's got to actually play them to prepare them for next year and that getting splinters on the bench isn't going to prepare them for first team football. They need to be given a chance and allowed to continue when they impress (as Yearwood did in pre-season; as Bwomono did earlier this season). Look how little league football they are getting:

Elvis 360 minutes and none for 2 months and now fourth choice right-back
Yearwood 341 minutes and none in the last 10 matches and now fifth choice central midfielder
Kyprianou 565 minutes (and just 705 minutes over 2 years)
Wabo 0 minutes
Ba 28 minutes
Bridge 5 minutes (and just 190 minutes over the last 3 years)

They've played just 1299 minutes between them.

The struggling Anton Ferdinand has played more than on his own.

At least Ba's been given some time off the bench in consecutive games. That's a positive step but it's far too little.

And it's not as if Brown's got the excuse because all his 28+ year olds are doing so well. They're not.

I reckon Brown would leave and Kev Maher would step in as caretaker. He'd be given an unofficial job interview and if results went his way he'd be in with a shout, ala Tilson. If results weren't great then I can see Ron going for another well known manager, possibly (and hopefully), Chris Powell.

It's not at all harsh Bentley (and to a lesser extent) Payne both predate Brown and left two seasons ago.

Bwomono has played 4 games.
Yearwood has played less than 4 full games.

It's entirely consistent to think he's got to actually play them to prepare them for next year and that getting splinters on the bench isn't going to prepare them for first team football. They need to be given a chance and allowed to continue when they impress (as Yearwood did in pre-season; as Bwomono did earlier this season). Look how little league football they are getting:

Elvis 360 minutes and none for 2 months and now fourth choice right-back
Yearwood 341 minutes and none in the last 10 matches and now fifth choice central midfielder
Kyprianou 565 minutes (and just 705 minutes over 2 years)
Wabo 0 minutes
Ba 28 minutes
Bridge 5 minutes (and just 190 minutes over the last 3 years)

They've played just 1299 minutes between them.

The struggling Anton Ferdinand has played more than on his own.

At least Ba's been given some time off the bench in consecutive games. That's a positive step but it's far too little.

And it's not as if Brown's got the excuse because all his 28+ year olds are doing so well. They're not.

I admire your dedication to the cause, I truly do, I really hope you cheer up for the next manager.

Couple of questions,

- who, factually are the 3 right backs ahead of Elvis ? Just so I know.
- Harry K is injured, not really PB's fault, but hey what the heck, lets go with that shall we
- Ba ... you bemoan his minutes, then go on to say at least he's now starting/involved, so can we move him from your black list.
- Wabo , give the bloke a chance yeah, I feel he has been introduced to get him involved in first team squad, however I do appreciate and respect your desire for a starting X1 with an average age of 17
Bridge ; this has been covered so much ... he's 22, so not young ... not done much when asked upon, but yes, you are right, notwithstanding this, he should be captain ... but he's he a tad too old for your 17 year old dream squad.

You ever considered watching youth football, would fit your need for a purely young team ....

Just on the counter, its been stated on here that actually JD has performed well this season and been better, probably because he has pressure from Elvis, but should he just be dropped because Elvis is younger ..
For me Yearwood is too similar to Lenny for them both to play, hence why, in pre season Yearwood invariably played where Lenny did and Lenny was moved out wide. But just so I know, you would play someone out of position, at a young age, just to play them ..
Harry K, Ive made my point above, again, for clarity HE IS INJURED AND UNAVALIABLE !!
Would you play Smith because he is younger than Ox ??

Back