• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We carry NO attacking threat, Sod the stats!
Another day spent with what looks like half the team wanting it and the others collecting a wage.

Where to start with this one? That was game in which we could have got properly smacked yet equally could have grabbed something. The end analysis is that we didn't play badly with a weakened side against a team who certainly looked to have a bit of a swagger about them.

First fifteen minutes were a bit chaotic. Twice they got behind us, twice they have decent chances - one flicked away by Oxley then other smashed down from the crossbar. Unfortunately, Oxley was injured in that phase of play and looked in some discomfort for the rest of the half. And then, completely against the run of play, and out of nowhere we scored. Dimi hit a hopeful shot which took a deflection and flew into the bottom corner. Cue joviality in the away end. It didn't last long. Again they got behind us and that was 1-1. But, we hadn't played badly.

Second half saw young Bishop come on for his debut in place of Oxley. That seemed to instill a bit of steel into us. We looked like a team for a while. Everyone working hard, ensuring the keeper wasn't exposed. Even so, they had one off the line and so did we. The goal came from what is best described a Sunday League defending. We conceded a corner, which they took quickly without us noticing. Criminally bad. They got a third later on.

Now, I need to clarify "we didn't play badly". We kept possession nicely, but again failed to create much in the way of clear up chances (or even half chances). No one seems to want to give the ball away, and consequently they make the safe pass rather than risk a defender splitter or an early cross. Simple fact is, our forwards aren't scoring because they don't get chances, and when they get a chance they come along so rarely they lack the confidence to bury them. Ask yourself the last time we went into the last five minutes of a game with a two goal cushion. At home its only happened twice all season (Oldham at home and Fleetwood away). We are playing turgid, stagnant football. Its no pleasant to watch, and it doesn't work when you ship goals from set pieces on a regular basis like we did today.

My first game of the season. Good journey up the M1 then the M180, driving over the flatlands of the Fens and the sun was shining, beautiful big skies. Then suddenly you get to a roundabout and there it is, another soulless out of town retail park. You barely notice the ground among McDonalds and Frankie and Benny's, but it is a tidy compact little stadium and suits Scunny. If their fans think it's already dated then come to Roots Hall!

Scunthorpe start the stronger and are fast and incisive, everything we're not. We ride the storm and go one up against the run of play. For seven minutes I'm thinking can we just sit on this and grind out a result. Not with our defence. We play some nice football at times but there is no cutting edge. Ironically we're playing our best football of the game when we go 2-1 down. You just know we'll never recover after that as there is never any plan B with Phil Brown.

We are not a bad team and we have some good players. We just have no confidence right now and there is something badly wrong mentally. We need to grind out a win sharpish.

Referee was appalling and gave them everything. Funniest moment of the match - Anton falling on his arse yet still managing to beat two men.

I don't think we'll ever win at Glanford Park.

The second goal situation is a bit of a worry. You would think that with three very experienced defenders Ferdinand, Turner and White, at least one of them could have been alert to the quickly taken corner and organised things.

Shame we didn't win as there seemed to be quite a few cub scouts in the away stand judging from the shouts of "Brown owl" towards the end of the game. :unsure:

The second goal situation is a bit of a worry. You would think that with three very experienced defenders Ferdinand, Turner and White, at least one of them could have been alert to the quickly taken corner and organised things.

There were 10 very experienced outfield players average age 30+ . They all decided to take their mid-half nap at the same time. It was their left back who crept up with out waking them to score.

I know he's much liked on here, but what was old JW doing for their second goal? .. and Wright, come to think of it.

I know he's much liked on here, but what was old JW doing for their second goal? .. and Wright, come to think of it.

And Demetriou and Fortune -all jogging back slowly.. hadn't White just put the ball out for a corner with a good saving tackle or block if I remember the commentary.

No idea, mate, as I didn't hear the commentary, so was only looking at the goal footage, where two or three seemed to switch off.

Agreed, Demi and Fortune don't cover themselves in glory.

Biggest concern is that, time after time, we get done by Scunthorpe at set-pieces!

Last edited:
And Demetriou and Fortune -all jogging back slowly.. hadn't White just put the ball out for a corner with a good saving tackle or block if I remember the commentary.

No idea, mate, as I didn't hear the commentary, so was only looking at the goal footage, where two or three seemed to switrch off.

Agreed, Demi and Fortune don't cover themselves in glory.

Biggest concern is that, time after time, we get done by Scunthorpe at set-pieces!

Yep, Chris Phillips tweeted that he'd just done that. Players can't just switch off if the ball goes out of play, we're partial to a quickly taken free kick ourselves so should be more than aware of this kind of tactic being used against us.

Last edited:
The Second goal was down to both sets of players not listening to instructions. In fact I believe they may even have got the orders from the bench the wrong way round.

At 1-1 far to many of our players were chasing a second goal during our best spell. We know for a fact from shrimper zone this would never be allowed. So when we lost the ball very high up the pitch, Scunny done what they do best and broke real quick and forced a corner.

Graham Alexander was actually shouting to his players to take their time as he was probably happy to take a break in our half. Obviously Southends players heard the shout and coasted back but how's your luck when the Scunny player goes and takes it quick.

Obviously it should have been closed quicker and with more conviction, just like they did with our shots. Yes the stats say only 2 on target but they saved to certain goals with brave and committed defending. One shot was deflected inches past the post so is off target on the stats.

We put 2 great crosses in second half and McL and Turner climbed well but the defenders done just enough to stop the ball being headed down. Both efforts went just over the bar so again not on target but only missed because of good tight defending

Overall like the Bradford game we defended well but we were slow to deal with the second ball for their first (watch Fortune) then Coker doesn't read the danger and the impressive Duane Holmes picks a nice pass. Unlike us, Scunny know that a1-0 down just fire the ball, without fuss across the box....The earlier the better. Yes it bobbles about and their lad poaches a goal but you often make your own luck in football.

Overall a good performance even if the score says otherwise. The Oxley injury is a worry and I can't help thinking the more 'vocal' number one keeper would have livened up our sleeping defenders for the second goal. That's Not a slur on Bishop he had enough to think about on debut, just a shame some of the senior pros in front of him didn't give him the protection he deserved.

One really disappointing thing was the young lads who went down the front to abuse our players at the end. The team were heading to our end and many of the regulars in Christmas outfits etc wanted to show their appreciation. Of course if you see people giving you the w***** sign and telling you to FO...... then no surprise they just walked off

Now I know the fans favourite 'lost the dressing room' has been used a lot in the last 2 weeks but the players, including Cox and Anton certainly never showed that yesterday......Would be areal shame if a few idiots meant it was the fans who lost the dressing room........And that can and certainly has happened in the past.

Merry Christmas to you all enjoy it with your families and see you all on Boxing day. Time for us to step up and do our bit.

Last edited:
To me that lack of effort and concentration mentioned by some on here is a huge concern. This also has a link to that win mentality that PB goes on about. Its about being focused and putting your body on the line. I have been a shrimper for 38 years and due to my dad also an Everton fan. Watching Everton at the start of the season was and is very similar to the current Sufc side. On paper we have a very good side, much like Koeman built (goalscorer aside), but as a unit and as a TEAM they are struggling to keep clean sheets and the other end in inability to score or finish teams off. Everton took the gamble to change managers and whether liked or not Sam A has transformed Efc season in the space of 7 matches. All of sudden defenders are defending, organised and putting their body in the line. the other end they have started scoring. Sam A adapts the style of play and game plan based on the opposition, so yesterday he set the team up to contain Chelsea. brown doesnt seem to have the tactical nouse or the ability to change how we are playing. he has tried different players, different formations and different tactics but we simply cant keep clean sheets. Even yesterday after we scored no one thought we would win to nil, certainly not away from home. I thank Brown for what he has done, but it is time for a change, time for something new, fresh ideas. This is not a bad squad on paper. The age scenario is not the issue. They are professional footballers and there are plenty playing in this league and higher that are similar and older in age. They just need motivated and organised differently. This you would hope would come fro a new manager

T The age scenario is not the issue. They are professional footballers and there are plenty playing in this league and higher that are similar and older in age.

.... but not altogether in the same team!

But they are not all 36!!! Yes a few late 20s and a few early 30s, hardly Dads army.

The young boy Mclaughlin 27
Coker, Wordsworth, Wright 28
Cox Demetriou 30
White 31
Ferdinand 32
Turner 34
Fortune 36

Most of them have seen better days -lost a bit of pace if they ever had any and hunger.

In order to give a balanced view, let me go through the positives of Scunthorpe and highlight them against Southend. Throughout the game Scunthorpe were the more composed, their defence solid and compact, the movement of their players off the ball was good always giving them an outlet. They use the short and long ball to good effect, switching play as required. When danger appeared in their own half they closed ranks, closing down space denying room to ourselves, yet still able to attack in numbers and as a unit. Their defending appear more organised whereas ours was" panic station" mode. The lad Ojo no 6 ran the midfield and his contribution was a hundred times better than the combined efforts of Wordsworth and Wright. Each of their players appeared to know what to do and what was expected of them, but with Southend it was very disjointed to a large degree. We had a few good purple patches but mostly it all came to nothing. The players huffed and puffed to no avail. The midfield was powder puff losing too much procession in vital areas. Something has to change. This may mean a few personnel changes, wholesale clear out, change/improve backroom/coaching staff or changing the Manager. (I did note the call from some of the away support for Mr Brown to go) I do not know the answer but unless someone within the club does something, at this rate we will be fighting relegation. The only issue on which we did win was the vocal support of the away fans. Well done to them!

The young boy Mclaughlin 27
Coker, Wordsworth, Wright 28
Cox Demetriou 30
White 31
Ferdinand 32
Turner 34
Fortune 36

Most of them have seen better days -lost a bit of pace if they ever had any and hunger.

You forgot kightly and Robinson who are both on 3 year deals and are around 30 odd.

The average age of the league squads I believe is 24 or 25. Ours is 29 and possibly the oldest average in the league

Back