• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It was the home game v Fiorentina on may 4th, 1970, at Roots Hall I saw, as opposed to the later Anglo Italian cup game away:smile:

I'd be happy to do an article on the game, which was the home match at Roots Hall on May 4th, 1970, as opposed to the more exotic away game in the Anglo Italian cup in October 1993.
Some friends have a new youtube channel 'postcard from southend', & have roped me in as narrator. The 1st two are about the pier, & the connection between Leigh & Herge's Tintin. we are currently working on a short video about Sufc. Southend have been very helpful in sending us an enhanced logo & allowing us use of club footage. It should be posted in January :smile:

I'd be happy to do an article on the game, which was the home match at Roots Hall on May 4th, 1970, as opposed to the more exotic away game in the Anglo Italian cup in October 1993.
Some friends have a new youtube channel 'postcard from southend', & have roped me in as narrator. The 1st two are about the pier, & the connection between Leigh & Herge's Tintin. we are currently working on a short video about Sufc. Southend have been very helpful in sending us an enhanced logo & allowing us use of club footage. It should be posted in January :smile:

Sounds fantastic! And if you wouldn't mind penning a few words - allatseafanzine@hotmail.com

Pray tell me , what is the connection between Leigh and Herges Tin Tin .

The mauve program......

That's the one. wilburysteve was originally making a comment about post #10 on here. The game finished 1-0 to them, but they were reigning Italian Champions at the time, so not too bad a result. I was also at the game. I remember their passing was on a different planet and they played keep ball. I should imagine possession wise it was about 75/25 percent to Fiorentina.

c70df54115eb86ee07fea53e1b161f7c.jpg

Posted the pitch preparation snap for the 1956 Manchester City match on another thread, but shall I stick it on here, as well, or has it already been posted?

today is my 50th anniversary,,first game v Brentford(1-0) at Roots Hall.
Remember going to the game,entering Roots Hall for the first time and buying my first "holybook" from some bloke saying--Programme,programme buy your Southend programme here"
Dont remember the date i got married, sometime in the 80s,i think,have not got a picture of our wedding on the wall,but my first Southend home and away PROG do
A LOVE never to bettered

FA Cup replay 3rd Round, 1958 at Roots Hall, Southend 2 Liverpool 3. Arthur Rowley scored the winner for them by the way. Four days earlier we drew 1-1 in the first match in front of 43,454 at Anfield. We also were drawn against them the season before, also the 3rd Round, but that time we won 2-1 in front of 18,253 at Roots Hall. Wahey.
soccer-fa-cup-third-round-replay-southend-united-v-liverpool-g9jdex.jpg

soccer-fa-cup-third-round-southend-united-v-liverpool-g9j8gr.jpg

Last edited:
Vivid memory here for me, midweek replay, I sat next to Damien McCrory, Sam's son at Westclif High. Asked him to get all the Liverpool autographs via dad. Jim Stirling booted Billy Liddell up in the air a few times, consequence being Liverpool refused to sign my book even for Sam after the game. Boo Hoo, no treasured signatures. Memories eh!

Clapton Orient 1 Southend Utd 1 at Brisbane Road in September 1946. The next month Clapton Orient changed their name to Leyton Orient.
CyIVpktXgAAjZ6n.jpg

and here is a match report:

No.2 Div 3 (South)
Wednesday 4th September 1946
Clapton Orient 1-1 Southend United.

Southend continued their good start to the season by gaining their third point from two games with a draw against Clapton Orient only capitulating in the last few minutes by which time the light was so bad that Hankey can be somewhat excused for allowing the Orient to score direct from a corner kick. Rain had been falling at the start of the match but this had stopped by half time resulting in the pitch being in a sticky condition. The United were in confident mood and this was confirmed after twenty five minutes when Dudley netted from twenty yards with a fierce shot after a melee. Sheard was a tower of strength with Jackson and Bell working hard, while of the forwards Dudley and Hamilton played brilliant football. The Orient equaliser came five minutes from time with a shot which seemed hardly possible from the stands. The attendance was 6,300 and the Orient club are waiting for approval for their change of name to Leyton Orient. Unfortunately in the excitement of the closing stages play became somewhat vigorous and a small section of the crowd demonstrated against Southend after Hamilton had been spoken to by the referee and the Police removed about half a dozen people who had encroached onto the pitch. Team; Hankey; Jackson and Bell; Harris, Sheard and Walton; Smirk, Hamilton, Dudley, Thompson and Lane.

Back