• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As i wrote before Kev,that game ,with JN, was 3rd September 1977..40 years ago.
KK and myself run that coach to B&bafc.
Three of us,Joe,myself and i sadly forgot the other was ,was in the Bmouth end,with our then girlfriends JN saw that and came across the pitch.
After the game,we went to the Police station to pick him up,but he had already been "bailed"and left

When Macdougal scored Bounmouths second goal he stood in the goal a and stuck two fingers up at the Southend supporters .

So not only the fans have changed...the players as well. At least,now, one match ban.
And the advert...whitbread!!! what crap beer that was..like Watneys!!!

Great 70s advert, i remember the tune.
TBH...i was trying to look at the 70s barmaids knockers,more than that crap beer

Great 70s advert, i remember the tune.
TBH...i was trying to look at the 70s barmaids knockers,more than that crap beer

Bit harsh on Watneys. A distribution warehouse in Benfleet got robbed one night back in the early 80's. There was hardly a kid in town who didn't get totally battered on the stuff for the next fortnight. Party 7 was our friend.

Bit harsh on Watneys. A distribution warehouse in Benfleet got robbed one night back in the early 80's. There was hardly a kid in town who didn't get totally battered on the stuff for the next fortnight. Party 7 was our friend.
Party 7 cans , the only way you could open them was with a hammer and screwdriver .

Must have been posted before but the striped kit on a murky day 69/70.

045fd8328fd4c6c3df216274a44ba461--folk.jpg

An educated guess would suggest the above picture was taken in October 1969. Geoff Hudson (in pic) had replaced Ernie Shepherd on 1st October which was followed by two away defeats. It could well be that this is the 11th October game against Workington (won 3-1) as it would seem likely a new team pic with new manager. A sparse looking crowd might reflect drawing two and losing five of the previous seven league games in addition to being knocked out of the League Cup during that poor run.

An educated guess would suggest the above picture was taken in October 1969. Geoff Hudson (in pic) had replaced Ernie Shepherd on 1st October which was followed by two away defeats. It could well be that this is the 11th October game against Workington (won 3-1) as it would seem likely a new team pic with new manager. A sparse looking crowd might reflect drawing two and losing five of the previous seven league games in addition to being knocked out of the League Cup during that poor run.
Looking at the picture and seeing who was playing it must be Newport County on the 10th Jan 1970 , look at that South Bank , I spent the Liverpool cup tie sitting on top of the Dolman sign with my brother in law and a bottle of rum .

Looking at the picture and seeing who was playing it must be Newport County on the 10th Jan 1970 , look at that South Bank , I spent the Liverpool cup tie sitting on top of the Dolman sign with my brother in law and a bottle of rum .

Cheers for update.
Yes the Dolman family used to live in Carlton Avenue . Great memories there. Johnny Foster advertising before becoming a director.
Who is that..4th right in front row - using the first ever mobile phone!

Spot on. We actually won this game 3-2 (Best2 and Garner). What I find odd is that for some reason the sub (only one in those days) Micky Beesley, is left out of the picture. Nowadays everyone bar the tea-lady gets in to a team piccy.

Cheers for update.
Yes the Dolman family used to live in Carlton Avenue . Great memories there. Johnny Foster advertising before becoming a director.
Who is that..4th right in front row - using the first ever mobile phone!
It is Peter Hunt - bit like Martin Peters, 15 years ahead of his time!

It is Peter Hunt - bit like Martin Peters, 15 years ahead of his time!

Who was subbed by Mike Beesley in that match. Almost exactly the same picture as used in the Peter Mason History book only a few seconds later (or earlier) as Peter Hunt had finished his call (or not started it).

I didn't know you were such an expert on mobile phones; it was exactly 15 years less 9 days before the the first commercial UK mobile phone call was made !

Blimey Kev, you've got a good memory you would only have been 7 at the time. :winking: I was probably there but have no recollection at all.:dim:

This photo was taken in the last season playing at the Greyhound Stadium Sutton Road, as you can see behind the players. But it appeared in the programme for our first match at Roots Hall v Norwich, Saturday 20th August 1955.

DHqxReEXcAAxOma.jpg

Back