• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can we provide a card for Simon Dobbins Wife

Very sad news. I know Nicole Dobbin hated seeing the very mention of the word Southend anywhere. She suffered so much unfair verbal abuse outside Basildon court during the trial, which made things even worse, as their family life had already been totally ruined. She has understandably come out in anger and blasted Simon's attackers.
So this is extremely difficult to get the response right from Southend fans.

Last edited:
Very sad news. I know Nicole Dobbin hated seeing the very mention of the word Southend anywhere. She suffered so much unfair verbal abuse outside Basildon court during the trial, which made things even worse, as their family life had already been totally ruined. She has understandably come out in anger and blasted Simon's attackers.
So this is extremely difficult to get the response right from Southend fans.

Agreed.

I don't think there's any correct action any of us can take individually that will be in any way helpful. There is nothing we can do to make her feel any better, the clock can't be turned back and anything we do actually only serves to ease our own discomfort, simultaneously twisting the knife a touch for her and the family, albeit unintentionally.

I would also imagine that - when crowds are allowed back in - our fans may have to be careful at games up there.

Least said, soonest mended I think.

Agreed.

I don't think there's any correct action any of us can take individually that will be in any way helpful. There is nothing we can do to make her feel any better, the clock can't be turned back and anything we do actually only serves to ease our own discomfort, simultaneously twisting the knife a touch for her and the family, albeit unintentionally.

I would also imagine that - when crowds are allowed back in - our fans may have to be careful at games up there.

Least said, soonest mended I think.
Even if you aren’t sure how it will be received by his wife and family, it doesn’t stop a message or card from the Trust from being the right thing to do. Hopefully in the fullness of time she’ll be able to draw strength from the support and love shown by the football family, SUFC included.

Even if you aren’t sure how it will be received by his wife and family, it doesn’t stop a message or card from the Trust from being the right thing to do. Hopefully in the fullness of time she’ll be able to draw strength from the support and love shown by the football family, SUFC included.

No, fair enough from the Trust or Club. I did say individually though.

I have a good mate here in Barna who's a Cambridge United fan (I used to work with him and also sit next to him and his son at Espanyol games).I know he regularly reads Moosenet (their equivalent of SZ.).I'll email him and ask what their fans think we should do.

It not what Cambridge fans think. The only people that matter are his family..

I remember when Essex Fire Brigade killed someone going through red lights at Thames Drive....Some buffoon thought it a good idea to send a couple of bods in uniform to show support at the funeral. I'm told the victim's sons chased them out of the church.

Like others have said, the trust should reach out first and see whether it would be welcome or not.

However, there is the real possibility that there may be another court case with 15/20 year sentences on the line. People who kept quiet may well not this time and things will get very ugly. There may be worse to come so be careful not to be seen as jumping on the grief band wagon.

Last edited:
1.It not what Cambridge fans think. The only people that matter are his family..

I remember when Essex Fire Brigade killed someone going through red lights at Thames Drive....Some buffoon thought it a good idea to send a couple of bods in uniform to show support at the funeral. I'm told the victim's sons chased them out of the church.

2.Like others have said, the trust should reach out first and see whether it would be welcome or not.

However, there is the real possibility that there may be another court case with 15/20 year sentences on the line. People who kept quiet may well not this time and things will get very ugly. There may be worse to come so be careful not to be seen as jumping on the grief band wagon.

1.Certainly they're the people who matter most but from what I've read I don't think his wife would be particularly receptive to any gesture on the part of SUFC fans.

2.Agreed.

FWIW, this is what my Cambridge supporting mate had to say:-"Yeah, it's a big story in the Cambridge area, though I haven't seen any suggestions about what Southend fans should do - I suppose some sort of commemoration at the next Southend Cambridge match."

I think the sentiment is a nice one, however if I were the family I would want nothing from us and can understand the hatred towards the club from the family.

1.Certainly they're the people who matter most but from what I've read I don't think his wife would be particularly receptive to any gesture on the part of SUFC fans.

2.Agreed.

FWIW, this is what my Cambridge supporting mate had to say:-"Yeah, it's a big story in the Cambridge area, though I haven't seen any suggestions about what Southend fans should do - I suppose some sort of commemoration at the next Southend Cambridge match."

That was my point.....Which is why I posted it

The Shrimpers Trust were deeply saddened to learn of the tragic passing of Cambridge United fan Simon Dobbin yesterday and send the sincerest of condolences on behalf of our members and other supporters to his family and friends at this most terrible time.

A further statement will be made shortly further to ongoing discussion between Southend United and ourselves. RIP Simon.

Back