• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Bolton Wanderers, Saturday 20th February, 15:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 93 88.6%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 88 83.8%
  • John White

Votes: 91 86.7%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 93 88.6%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 91 86.7%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 80 76.2%
  • Alan McCormack

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 83 79.0%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 51 48.6%
  • Jacob Mellis

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 78 74.3%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 90 85.7%
  • Emile Acquah

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Greg Halford

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Tyler Cordner

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Brandon Goodship

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Nile Ranger

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • Ricky Holmes

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Louis Walsh

• Rob Howard

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Michael Klass

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Harry Seaden

• Win

Votes: 48 45.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • Lose

Votes: 10 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
MM now has a half decent squad.

What matters now is whether the project involves trying to win games or trying to scrape draws.

We need wins so a positive set up is essential.

I’m not optimistic.

#ftheproject

Is Akinola available? Didn't he come off with with a head injury last week and I thought that meant he has to be sidelined for 2 weeks?

Last edited:
I fear the worst for this one tbh. But its nice to be a bit excited about a game for a change.

Is Akinola available? Didn't he come with with a head injury last week and I thought that meant he has to be sidelined for 2 weeks?
I hope so! Or will be acquah as lone striker with goodship as a 70th minute sub when we are 2 down ?

I know it's not a popular choice but I'd like to see what Goodship can do now that we have some players that will service him, he clearly isn't great on the ball but he's got decent movement and can shoot, so with Akinola and Holmes in the side we might see him start to get some goals.

I know it's not a popular choice but I'd like to see what Goodship can do now that we have some players that will service him, he clearly isn't great on the ball but he's got decent movement and can shoot, so with Akinola and Holmes in the side we might see him start to get some goals.
I think youll get your wish but only because of lack of options.

Ive said it before and ill say it again. Its now or never brandon.

Whilst I haven't liked tinkering in the past, and admire sticking with a team that did well in the last game, there is no room for sentiment. I think a couple of intelligent changes to the starting line-up would work well. I would be starting Macca - we are up against a team doing well with a manager urging his players to 'stamp their authority' and to 'strangle' us. Absolutely not. Get Macca in there from the start to impose OUR will on the game and to get in their faces from the off. We're the home team. I would also be starting Holmes as there was just no creativity or decent final ball in that team last week, despite the admirable defensive display and big effort.

Oxley
Elvis White Hobson Clifford
Macca Ferguson
Holmes Dieng ANG
Akinola

Subs:
Seaden
Cordner
Hart
Halford
Demi/Mellis
RHF
Goodship

Is Akinola available? Didn't he come off with with a head injury last week and I thought that meant he has to be sidelined for 2 weeks?

Only if he has concussion. He has passed all concussion tests and retests this week, so is available.

MM now has a half decent squad.

What matters now is whether the project involves trying to win games or trying to scrape draws.

We need wins so a positive set up is essential.

I’m not optimistic.

#ftheproject

I would seem you have become the one with a "project"

Yes we know he is not Adam Barrett and he never will be. Adam didn't want the job this time, in fact he knows he had dodged a bullet when Sol got the job the previous time.

You should be grateful its not AB closing his twitter account and young angry fans saying he means nothing to me...Like they did with CP.

Surely for those reason you can show your support because staying up is more important than you being able to say "I told you so"

If they don't I will buy you a beer at the NL grounds you need for a tick next season. :Winking: ....

Yes we know he is not Adam Barrett and he never will be. Adam didn't want the job this time, in fact he knows he had dodged a bullet when Sol got the job the previous time.

You should be grateful its not AB closing his twitter account and young angry fans saying he means nothing to me...Like they did with CP.

Surely for those reason you can show your support because staying up is more important than you being able to say "I told you so"

If they don't I will buy you a beer at the NL grounds you need for a tick next season. :Winking: ....

An offer I wouldn’t be able to refuse on a rainy night in Solihull.......

All of them ?????

Now the NL's position is sorted we now know what's needed.
With the 2 signings this week we certainly have the right mix of experience and youth.Just got to find that elusive balance on the pitch which will increase our goal ratio.
Expect another close game with hopefully our injury free midfield edging it for us .

M.M's. Most Difficult but also best selection headache of the season.
Will Ranger be fit. How do we fit Holmes in, are the new signing's fit enough.
Squad rotation we can use at last, with so many games coming up thick and fast.
Is Macca the man to take no crap from Bolton. Is he liable to last even 20 minutes.
Acquah our most under rated and promising player up front after his good performance last week. Play him??. Bring K. Taylor back.!! I could go on. But below my take.
Will Jay Simpson sign at 11.59 and Play.
The back line picks itself !!

Oxley
Elvis. White. Hobson. Clifford.
Dieng
Holmes.(K.Taylor) Ferguson. ANG.
Akinola
Ranger (Acquah)

Subs. Seadon. Cordner. Hart. Macca (Demi). KTaylor (R.H.G.) Acquah (Halford). Goodship

Whilst I haven't liked tinkering in the past, and admire sticking with a team that did well in the last game, there is no room for sentiment. I think a couple of intelligent changes to the starting line-up would work well. I would be starting Macca - we are up against a team doing well with a manager urging his players to 'stamp their authority' and to 'strangle' us. Absolutely not. Get Macca in there from the start to impose OUR will on the game and to get in their faces from the off. We're the home team. I would also be starting Holmes as there was just no creativity or decent final ball in that team last week, despite the admirable defensive display and big effort.

Oxley
Elvis White Hobson Clifford
Macca Ferguson
Holmes Dieng ANG
Akinola

Subs:
Seaden
Cordner
Hart
Halford
Demi/Mellis
RHF
Goodship

That's a good line up, but you have to have Acquah on the bench if he's not in the starting eleven.

It is strangely baffling our attachment with Ranger. I’m amazed he’s back in the fold, let alone dye a starting berth today. In the 2 years since he left Southend he’s been in Sunday league football and at Spalding United. As a ‘striker’ he’s never been prolific. He scored twice in 51 games for Newcastle. Less than 1 in 4 for us when playing against lower league opposition. Usually when released they fall into obscurity, which he has done, yet strangely he’s back at Southend. Bizarre to say the least. Maybe I’m missing something. Although I doubt it’s his character that we want around the place.

Reactions: Ted
Fine weather in Leigh on Sea today and I’m going to pay for the game. Have people been finding phone or laptop works better and how’s the ifollow experience been generally in recent weeks? Cheers.

Now the NL's position is sorted we now know what's needed.
With the 2 signings this week we certainly have the right mix of experience and youth.Just got to find that elusive balance on the pitch which will increase our goal ratio.
Expect another close game with hopefully our injury free midfield edging it for us .
Interesting, you say NL is 'sorted'.
This is worth a read and as Jim Parmenter, Dover chairman put it:
"Nobody has addressed what happens to the seven clubs that have no income, can't afford to carry on and don't want to carry on," Parmenter said.
"The National League have washed their hands of it. It shows the mess that organisation is in."
"We have to see if other clubs can continue playing."
"I know at least four that are saying they can't afford it. We have to see how the league deals with this issue."

Back