• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-2 Rochdale

I asked that in the match thread, but a while back @BoyWonder2, I believe, reckoned Mr F had been offered a new contract?
If so, I'm staggered.
I'm always left open mouthed by Zoners who think he has something to offer.
Nothing against the bloke personally, but, He. Isn't. Very. Good.
My thoughts precisely - we can do better and we need better than Wes if we want to give it a good go at automatic promotion next season. I think the same is true, sadly, of Coker. Might be OK for the bench or occasional start but we need someone better in that position in our first choice XI.

It will be an interesting close season.

Really poor performance today, outplayed by a decent but midtable side.

Apropos nothing whatsoever to do with our match, it was wonderous to see that BT Sport decide that Boringwood and Ebbsfleet would be their live televised game for the viewing public. Also wonderous to see that poor old boring will now grace the NL South next season.

When they made that decision is was potentially the only game that had anything to be decided from it.

Boreham Wood 6th to 21st one season to the next.

Maybe they missed Zak Brunt - how have Barnet done this season?

The fact that neither keeper was really tested today apart from picking the ball out the net shows how the season and game fizzled out . This current style of possession football from the back still greatly divides the fans , and if pressed seems to cause endless scares and often results in a long ball forward .Is this current squad capable of doing a Wrexham or Chesterfield next season ,very debatable without a couple of quality signings .Also staying in this league could see the departure of some to the EFL
However without the sale going through quickly we could be back on the rollercoaster again during the close season.

Yes it was a disappointing end to a drama filled season but what was most annoying was when Rochdale scored their second goal so many so called supporters up and left their seats which was equally disappointing from my prospective.Some may have had urgent matters to attend to but surely you could wait and give your thanks to the players and staff for all their efforts this season not much to ask.Rant over

Disappointing today, we seem to want to walk the ball into the net rather than have any attempts on goal. Apart from the goal, I only remember Cards header into the side netting and Noors shot.

A dissapointing end to the game but we must be thankful that we have a team to support. As others have said we need a few additions to this squad. A couple of central midfielders who can score 8 to 10 goals a season and two strikers to challenge Waldron and Cardwell for starting places. With respect to Wes and Noor I don't think they are the type of players we need, both are neat and tidy footballers but offer so little threat in the final third. A few more goals from that area of the team and we would have been in the play offs. On another note, the sooner Roots Hall gets renovated the better, the facilities are pretty disgraceful for a sporting venue. It's a long hard road ahead for our club but we live in hope.

Disappointing today, we seem to want to walk the ball into the net rather than have any attempts on goal. Apart from the goal, I only remember Cards header into the side netting and Noors shot.
Waldron put an effort over the bar which he should have done better with

Given the circumstances that we were fortunate just to start the season, still having something to play for in the last game of the season was a massive bonus, considering for the first half of the season we had to beg the NL just to let us have 12 available players some times.

We had of course put the core of the side together by August 22 and had Collin and Oli Coker becoming solid first team players this year.

The players gave their all every game.

Appearance wise Bridge 45+1, Gus 41+1, Noor 40+1, Kensdale 40, Cardwell 39, Ralph 36 started the most games with Wes 31+7 and Cav 35 +1 also appearing in a good number of games.

Of the 7 games that Harry missed plus the following 4 as he struggled to get match fit again we only won 3.

Of course this squad are easily play off contenders but we do need strengthening if we want to finish top 3. We only won 13 home games, just over half, with 7 defeats at least 4 too many, as we struggle to score.

Today was of course a prime example - we hammered them for 25 minutes and should have been 3-0 up and home and dry with a glaring miss from Waldron and others hesitating when they should have shot.

It will be interesting to see if any leave - any chance of financial stability means we must still sell our better players. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Collin and Gus and maybe Harry go if they get the chance of proper EFL football - their careers are short.

3 or 4 out and 6 in I reckon.

Going to be the longest break ever until August.

Well what a strange day. It started with a (let’s face it, faint) hope we could make playoffs and an early goal as we took it to Rochdale. If Waldron had scored his chance just after the goal we’d have won comfortably I reckon. As it was, once Halifax scored the atmosphere noticeably went flat as a pancake as did our performance and their second goal was just another kick in the bollocks really.

Made me sad, watching the players take their lap as they looked like they felt they’d let us down. They didn’t. Our chairman did. The team have worked wonders and we should be in the play-offs.

We’ll learn and grow from this season but .. big caveat .. we need Martin fully gone and the consortium able to get on and make much needed ground improvements and squad improvements. We need a full capacity. We need those 2/3 extra players and a full, uninterrupted pre season. Let’s hope it all goes to plan as we all - fans and players - deserve a proper crack at promotion.

Well, that's that then. It was always going to be a big ask to overcome a 10 point deduction thanks to Mr Ron Calamity. Credit to Rochdale for giving it a good go despite having nothing to play for, unlike Eastleigh and earlier in the week Gateshead. We weren't good enough today - but they remain heroes all.

I've been watching the Shrimpers for over sixty years and I don't think it is down to my fading memory when I say that was one of the best seasons football I have seen over those years. The tremendous team spirit in the face of great adversity was truly remarkable. The devotion of the staff, the coaches, the players and the fans was inspiring.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Southend United - we stand, we did not fall.

Ron has to be out of the building before the players come back for pre season or we are ****ed

No, you see, I would like to see Wes Fonguck play football rather than jog around looking startled if the ball comes anywhere near him.
He is everything I don’t want in a team mate. Cheats off the ball, bottles anything that comes moderately close to a challenge, next to no end product.

I genuinely thank him for his service during our darkest hour but I will be glad when we try to get an upgrade on him.

Well, that's that then. It was always going to be a big ask to overcome a 10 point deduction thanks to Mr Ron Calamity. Credit to Rochdale for giving it a good go despite having nothing to play for, unlike Eastleigh and earlier in the week Gateshead. We weren't good enough today - but they remain heroes all.

I've been watching the Shrimpers for over sixty years and I don't think it is down to my fading memory when I say that was one of the best seasons football I have seen over those years. The tremendous team spirit in the face of great adversity was truly remarkable. The devotion of the staff, the coaches, the players and the fans was inspiring.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Southend United - we stand, we did not fall.
Crackingt post mate, my sentiments completely.

result don’t matter today this season was done if we’re being honest after the 10 points but a season were we dint even know if we’d have a club what an incredible season by every one associated with club roll on next season

Wasn’t the best game today, but results elsewhere meant it didn’t really matter.

6th place and play offs earned on the field, despite everything that has been thrown at them. Incredible season from this group of players, management, and backroom staff.

Let’s hope this takeover can finally get ****ing completed, we keep hold of our key players, and sign 3 or 4 more. If so, next season will be even better on the pitch.

Don’t really feel like a post mortem around the areas for improvement- it would be Groundhog Day as nothing has changed. All this is now for the transfer thread over the coming weeks.

For now, given what has been laid at our door, it’s a time to recognise the effort put in, and the achievement that if the league were decided solely by the results of football matches (heaven forbid) we would be in the playoffs.

There is so much more that is positive than negative- let’s hope the sale gets done very soon and onwards and upwards.

God wiling I will be back in my seat next season.

Back