• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-2 Rochdale

A disappointing end to not only the season but also to a 15 match unbeaten run. Atmosphere was quite flat considering the potential, but, as others have said, I'd much rather miss out because the other two teams did the job than just because we didn't.

I thought the double substitution in midfield was odd - I thought Morton started well but then made a few mistakes, and that Coker was battling hard, getting a foot in often plus also has that potential for a goal in him. Didn't mind Husin coming on, but I'm afraid I'm another who doesn't really "get" Fonguck. He'll have one exceptional game in maybe 5, and the rest be pretty poor, dodging challenges and losing so much possession. Yesterday was one of those. I'd be very surprised to see him back next season.

I really hope Waldron's pre-season goes well as he gets in some great positions, but, like last weekend, he was quite wasteful in front of goal. I think he's going to be fantastic for us next year. Reminds me of Simon Cox's ability to get in good positions.

Defensively, we looked quite shaky for some odd reason - Kens and Collin had words at the end of the 1st half, and all that shilly shallying around with the ball at the back is all well and good at times, but sometimes, you just need to put your laces through it and clear it long and hard up field.

Gus MOTM by a country mile, though honourable mentions for Cards, Cav, Taylor, Bridge and Ralph, who all put a decent shift in.

Anyway, at least they'll all be relaxed and able to have a few beers at the presentation dinner later on.

They are all heroes for what they've been through this season, and how they have stuck with it. Props to all.

Now the season is over sadly we fell a little short .Or apart from some RAT we would have finished 4th .But lets all hope for a clean break from the rat clan .An next season we can start on the first day with a full pre season .And a real good go at promotion .Have a good summer one and all shrimpers every where .

Disappointing and flat end to the season. Started so well and scored a good goal, thereafter we didn’t really ever get going and in the end Dale probably deserved the win. I really thought with a full house the players would put on a show. Sadly they looked tired and times void of idea and not dissimilar to a few games we’ve lost or struggled with this season at home. We lost more games at home than away this season and if we are looking to up next season our home form needs to be bang on. On the day thought Miley, Gus, Cardwell, Ralph and Taylor played well. Thought taking Morton off was and odd decision.

But overall it’s been a playoff season in terms of points and at times we did t even know we’d still have a club. We had no preseason, played half the season under embargo and playing games with 12/13 players so we must look at the season as a huge success and not disappointment

A mini rebuild needs to happen, we may lose 2 or 3 from those contracted

Wes, Powell, Dackers, Sandat to leave
JD and David Martin to retire or player coach
Like to see Wood stay but feel his time might be up

Last edited:
Yes disappointing end to a horrendously frustrating season. We have survived but we now have a nearly sold club with a nearly good enough squad.

The first game we lost back in August at Dorking came after we were one up and a certain Mr K messed it up. Some lessons it seems have not been learned. Like how to beat the first man with a corner. Or not to take an extra touch in front of goal. Worst still trying to pass instead of shooting on sight.

Don’t want to pile in on Kensdale as it didn’t matter and I haven’t seen any highlights….But I’m sure he played a part (without touching the ball) for the second goal. Instead of covering the obvious pass to their scorer he went the other way.

The answer is not more ballers at CM. Obviously I wouldn’t turn one down. But if we learn to smash to ball up to Cardwell when it’s clearly the safest option. Then take offence to any oppo keeper at RH….I mean set out to really spoil his day….We would be nailed on top 3 with the players we already have.

Roll on the sale and the chance for Kev to sign the couple of players needed to make a challenge for the title next season.

So fellow zoners don’t be to glum. As I’m writing this by the pool in Lanzarote In the background the bar is playing Johnny Nash. I can see clearly now. It’s going to be bright sunshiny day. So will next season

Yes disappointing end to a horrendously frustrating season. We have survived but we now have a nearly sold club with a nearly good enough squad.

The first game we lost back in August at Dorking came after we were one up and a certain Mr K messed it up. Some lessons it seems have not been learned. Like how to beat the first man with a corner. Or not to take an extra touch in front of goal. Worst still trying to pass instead of shooting on sight.

Don’t want to pile in on Kensdale as it didn’t matter and I haven’t seen any highlights….But I’m sure he played a part (without touching the ball) for the second goal. Instead of covering the obvious pass to their scorer he went the other way.

The answer is not more ballers at CM. Obviously I wouldn’t turn one down. But if we learn to smash to ball up to Cardwell when it’s clearly the safest option. Then take offence to any oppo keeper at RH….I mean set out to really spoil his day….We would be nailed on top 3 with the players we already have.

Roll on the sale and the chance for Kev to sign the couple of players needed to make a challenge for the title next season.

So fellow zoners don’t be to glum. As I’m writing this by the pool in Lanzarote In the background the bar is playing Johnny Nash. I can see clearly now. It’s going to be bright sunshiny day. So will next season
We can see all obstacles in our way. I think we can make it once The Pain has gone.

If Kensdale was perfect, he wouldn't be playing in this League. He's had a fantastic season. He's improved a lot. Him and Taylor have saved us many times with a perfectly timed tackle. He's also got his head to quite a few dangerous free kicks and crosses. Yes, he has the odd mistake in him when he dithers. But he more than makes up for it, for me.

Kensdale and Taylor have played well this season and are a big part in the fine defensive record. The downside is that they have scored only one goal between the pair of them. The vast majority of promoted teams have at least one centre back who scores from set pieces. Hopefully Adam Crowther will be the one next season, he had a great record at King's Lynn. These extra goals can make a big difference.

Anybody else getting fed up with Kensdale constantly having a severe spell of brain fog on the edge of his own 18 yard box?
Probably just me...appreciate we aren't allowed to criticise any of our players without severe repercussions.
For all the good credit built up this season, the management and players will be expected to get promotion next season, so for me, we need a serious injection of discipline and common sense at critical times of a game - far too many times this season, we have helped to swing the game in the opposition's favour with a piece of rank naivety or terrible decision-making.
At times today Kensdales
Too error prone get rid!
I’m struggling to disagree Wigs, maybe some stern advice from the Amigos may stop the errors.🤞

Too error prone get rid!
I am a little undecided…how many mistakes did he make this season that led to goals? I am not sure he is comfortable enough on the ball to play the way we play. It does seem to be an issue up and down the leagues. Think of the likes of Dunk and McGuire….good defensively..terrible passing it about on the floor.

I can think of a least 3 goals that have come from a Kemsdale mistake this season….and others where he has got away with it!

I am a little undecided…how many mistakes did he make this season that led to goals? I am not sure he is comfortable enough on the ball to play the way we play. It does seem to be an issue up and down the leagues. Think of the likes of Dunk and McGuire….good defensively..terrible passing it about on the floor.

I can think of a least 3 goals that have come from a Kemsdale mistake this season….and others where he has got away with it!

Certainly gave away Bromley’s winning goal at Roots Hall. Andy Woodman had done his homework on Kensdale. He also wrestles opponents far too much holding and shirt pulling.

Personally I think Adam Crowther is a much better prospect, he did fine when Kensdale was out injured and then had a nightmare trying to play alongside him.

Other managers have done their homework on him.

Put him under pressure and he wilts.

Disappointing anti climax for all. Started like a house on fire, early goal, nearly a second from Waldron. Thought we would run away with it like the Boreham Wood game first half. It all went flat though as Rochdale edged their way into the game. Their number 18 Hayes was as impressive as Mancini from Hartlepool back in August. Certainly too quick and nimble for Kensdale, who could have given more than one away yesterday. Why he did not head the ball away instead of what happened with Hayes lurking borders almost on arrogance. He gave one away at Ebbsfleet which also cost us points. Hopefully he can be coached in the summer when and where to pass and when to clear into row Z. It did not matter yesterday as the crowd went quiet as Halifax found their shooting boots for a surprise to me, comfortable away win at Eastleigh. We then like the York home game conceded late for a disappointing home defeat. Would not mind that Hayes in our squad, on loan from Fleetwood, who got relegated yesterday, difficult to think that he is not good enough yet for their first team.

Andeng-Ndi 6
Taylor 6.5
Kensdale 5
Ralph 6.5
Scott-Morriss 7
Coker 6
Miley 7.5 MOTM
Morton 6.5
Bridge 6.5
Cardwell 6
Waldron 6

Husin 5.5
Fonguck 4
Powell 5

Good to see Miley getting near to his best last few games and gets my MOTM. Happy summer to all and let’s hope takeover gets completed soon for a big season come August. Fancy us strongly on an even playing field for all at the club. Big thanks to Kev & co for what they achieved in adversity this season UTB.

Rigsby in his orange budgie smugglers... Gloom illuminated

I understand we're a possession based team but they need to accept that it's okay to just clear it sometimes.

Back