• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-2 Rochdale

It wasn’t meant to be this season, we can talk about point deductions, embargo’s etc. but what we have done is shown to the league and the wider football that this club will not be beaten and will not die.

Looking forward to next season, we have to be an attractive prospect for any players that want to give 110% for the club, their team mates, and themselves. It will also put off some of those older players looking for one last pay day and an easy ride (think back to some of our past recruitment).

The consortium have seen the commitment from the players and us fans alike, this should only strengthen their resolve to deliver on their promises and commitment to the club.

I asked that in the match thread, but a while back @BoyWonder2, I believe, reckoned Mr F had been offered a new contract?
If so, I'm staggered.
I'm always left open mouthed by Zoners who think he has something to offer.
Nothing against the bloke personally, but, He. Isn't. Very. Good.
I believe he has been offered a new contract based on what the club believe he is worth to them. The Big question is whether Wes agrees with their valuation. No doubt we will see an outcome in the close season.

Well it was a season to remember for the wrong / right reasons it showed we have a management team to lead us back to division two some good players some that need to move on a fan base that is the best in this division without a doubt new owners who have our club at heart
We just need the rat to leave

Thanks to all for your comments on the game - I could only watch score flashes on my phone.

In an odd way, I'm pleased that we missed out on the play-offs by 6 points rather than by only 1 or 2, which would have been even more gut-wrenching. The play-offs are a bit of a lottery anyway and to have made it into them and lost would have knocked even more stuffing out of our players than this punishing season has already inflicted on them. As it is, they will have a longer and fully- deserved close season break to recharge their batteries. They and we should take heart from the fact that the team accumulated 75 points this season (10 of which were stolen from them) with no proper pre-season, few opportunities to change the course of games from a depleted subs' bench and with an embargo on getting in reinforcements. There were quite a few posters on here at the end of last season whose hopes for this season were to make the play-offs, and the full 75 points would have done precisely that. Sure, we are all disappointed but we can draw encouragement from this season that better times lie ahead.

I believe he has been offered a new contract based on what the club believe he is worth to them. The Big question is whether wes agrees with their valuation.
The great worry for me is CM is one of those areas that clearly needs meaningful improvement in some respects - the current group together provide little in the way of goal threat, and are relatively lacking re creative threat/assists. That’s fine to the extent that a couple of additions and it’s fixed for sure- but if we keep Wes, and having given all the others 2 year contracts, the fear is it will be deja vu in midfield next year. We are crying out for at least one proven attacking midfielder who brings goals and assists?(ideally two). That would take us to 7 CM- 8 if you included Wood..

I don't know about the rest of you lot, but I'm now totally drained emotionally on the Southend front. As with all big crowds at Roots Hall of late, when we scored it was go mad time, after that, loud noise on mute, and I don't think that helped the team. That said there was something missing, even after we scored, exhaustion and silly mistakes were commonplace. Nevertheless they kept on going but the Rochdale equaliser was a big time deflater for our Blue boys. It didn't help that the two clubs also vying for the last play off place were doing better than us. So, in the end, it wasn't to be. We clapped and cheered the squad on their lap of honour, said our goodbyes to our immediate mates sitting all around us, and then we made our way home listening to Kev being loud and proud about his group.

Special mention to @Tinks this afternoon, nice to meet you at last regardless of the dodgy company you were keeping :Winking: . I'm sorry conversation was brief, but no doubt we can chat more next season. Also good to briefly catch up with that Will-o-the-wisp @Spaceman Spiff for the first time this season.

Here's to next season and the hope that this time next season we will be celebrating as champions.
I’ll take that over Evil Edna! 😄

Anybody else getting fed up with Kensdale constantly having a severe spell of brain fog on the edge of his own 18 yard box?
Probably just me...appreciate we aren't allowed to criticise any of our players without severe repercussions.
For all the good credit built up this season, the management and players will be expected to get promotion next season, so for me, we need a serious injection of discipline and common sense at critical times of a game - far too many times this season, we have helped to swing the game in the opposition's favour with a piece of rank naivety or terrible decision-making.

I asked that in the match thread, but a while back @BoyWonder2, I believe, reckoned Mr F had been offered a new contract?
If so, I'm staggered.
I'm always left open mouthed by Zoners who think he has something to offer.
Nothing against the bloke personally, but, He. Isn't. Very. Good.
Well, maybe some Zoners, as well as Kev, notice things you don’t, such as his movement and his relationship with Bridge, an example of which I’ve noted on several occasions being the win over Altrincham when both were unplayable.

Anybody else getting fed up with Kensdale constantly having a severe spell of brain fog on the edge of his own 18 yard box?
Probably just me...appreciate we aren't allowed to criticise any of our players without severe repercussions.
For all the good credit built up this season, the management and players will be expected to get promotion next season, so for me, we need a serious injection of discipline and common sense at critical times of a game - far too many times this season, we have helped to swing the game in the opposition's favour with a piece of rank naivety or terrible decision-making.
Kensdale is developing into a very good central defender, but, as you say, the brain fog continues to blight that development when he brings the ball out of defence at times. I just wanted to kick his arse after we conceded their first goal, and he is not exempt from criticism over it.

Things could have been worse today. Imagine if we had been winning, and Halifax losing only for Daggers to go ahead against Aldershot in the 93 minute. Only for Aldershot to get the vital point they needed in the 97th!

No, not just you! He’s a great player and has the talent to play at a higher level for sure, but his decision making has to improve. It’s great that we play out from the back, but there’s a time when you have to read the danger and play the percentages, it’s okay to just clear the ball sometimes.

Kensdale today got away with a couple of near misses overplaying at the back before the equaliser. I hoped he’d learn from the warning signs, but no unfortunately. It’s something he needs to improve for sure.

One the day......our first touch was poor all over the field. Far too long on the ball. The defence looked very shakey IMHO. We gave the ball away many times in OUR half. We didint seem to have any shape or plan. A poor performance and I think (perhaps) a few players will be released.

BUT....

Let's not forget what this group HAVE done...against incredible pressures. That achievment to finish where we are despite everything that has been going on....totally amazing..regardless of the standard of play

Well, maybe some Zoners, as well as Kev, notice things you don’t, such as his movement and his relationship with Bridge, an example of which I’ve noted on several occasions being the win over Altrincham when both were unplayable.
Hmmm...
I'd be only too happy to praise him. He doesn't offer much to allow it.
Yes, there is the odd moment when he scores, for example, three is it this season?
And, fine, Altrincham was a good shout for him.
But if @LBBlue's stats are correct that was one from 31+7 appearances this season.
One or two out of 38? Not for me...

A bit of an anti climax and I think all of us checking the scores and what was happening elsewhere ended up being a bit of a mood hoover. So almost a game that was a victim of circumstances I feel and therefore tactics and substitutions commentary is in some ways feels a little irrelevant.

The management team and playing staff have been amazing….I hope the core of the team stays, fear one or two may be prised away…but that is football! With a few additions and a little more creativity let’s aim to win the thing next season!

Feels such an early finish to the season and all a little abrupt. Got to work out what to do with the weekends and readjust until August now!

In an odd way, I'm pleased that we missed out on the play-offs by 6 points rather than by only 1 or 2, which would have been even more gut-wrenching. The play-offs are a bit of a lottery anyway and to have made it into them and lost would have knocked even more stuffing out of our players than this punishing season has already inflicted on them
My thoughts exactly. All unbeaten runs have to come to an end, & as it's turned out our's did today which didn't in the end matter about the play offs lottery.
I'd rather that than if we'd have played at Altrincham, & DM scored the winner for them.

Back