• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gateshead kicked out of playoffs

The rules or otherwise, like rugby, it's becoming all about size of club and money behind it, rather than promotion by merit.
Could no-one see this coming?
Why in the wide, wide world of sports was this possibility not flagged up earlier?
Were they hoping Gateshead would not make it, and therefore could remain schtum?
I'd love to know whether the Heed's board knew what was coming!

I think these leagues need to come to terms with that the integrity of leagues requires promotion and relegation to be decided on the pitch, not in closed committee rooms behind closed doors…

I dislike that Gateshead put their reserves out in a prior game but they have earned the playoff place on the pitch.

So nothing to to with the ground not bring suitable. Just they had a short lease and not ten years like the requirements. By that methodology they should have kicked out all of the EFLclubs from the league that have had disputes with landlords and played elsewhere. Coventry rings a bell
Ludicrous. Did Coventry get kicked out of the EFL? Having a longer lease guarantees not a lot as various examples will demonstrate.
What happens if Gateshead now go get a lease extension- are they allowed back in again. Anyway they are appealing and that will take a little so best not start the playoffs..

The rules or otherwise, like rugby, it's becoming all about size of club and money behind it, rather than promotion by merit.
Could no-one see this coming?
Why in the wide, wide world of sports was this possibility not flagged up earlier?
Were they hoping Gateshead would not make it, and therefore could remain schtum?
I'd love to know whether the Heed's board knew what was coming!
Their Board of Directors must have known they did not meet the EFL’s criteria, but just didn’t have the decency to inform their fans!

Coventry??? Played at several other grounds as their home venue. Yet again it's one rule for the big(ger) clubs and another for the smaller ones.

Shocking really. Their schedule towards the end of the season has been heavy and they've endured it with the Play Offs in mind - both players and supporters. Spent money in the case of the supporters and apparently there was no intention of allowing them to take part!

What a joke, the lower league clubs are starved by the upper leagues and when they cannot or do not have a Saudi backer but try their best to survive they are kicked in the teeth.

It's the fans that suffer once more even if it is a **** ground.
You're right; but it's not a **** ground; it's just not a football ground.
That said, have you looked closely at most Serie A stadia? They're not a million miles from the layout at the International.

Following the announcement earlier today that Gateshead are ineligible to compete in this season’s National League play-offs, the League wishes to make the following statement.​

National League rules state that in the event of a club being removed from the play-offs and not being replaced, the structure of the draw should be adjusted based on final league positions.

Therefore, the League can now confirm an amended play-off schedule as follows:
Wednesday 24 April – 7pm
Eliminator B – Solihull Moors v FC Halifax Town
Saturday 27 April – 5.30pm
Semi-Final – Barnet v Altrincham
Sunday 28 April – 4pm
Bromley v Solihull Moors/FC Halifax Town

The League hopes this now clarifies its position on the National League play-offs.

It does seem ridiculous that situation was not resolved before the final match of the season and that there was not a rule in place that automatically allowed the next best team into the play offs, or that results were expunged and the table recalculated for play off qualification only.

I feel sorry for the fans who have spent good money following their team believing they could be watching League 2 football next season, and the players who joined the club with the same ambition.

It does seem ridiculous that situation was not resolved before the final match of the season and that there was not a rule in place that automatically allowed the next best team into the play offs, or that results were expunged and the table recalculated for play off qualification only.

I feel sorry for the fans who have spent good money following their team believing they could be watching League 2 football next season, and the players who joined the club with the same ambition.
The very simple rule should be no more than showing you can fulfil your fixtures- so demonstrating you have use of an acceptable ground for the upcoming season. Not 9 seasons down the road…

How would the table look if Gatesheads results were taken away - please don't tell me we finish in the playoffs! We lost and drew so drop 1 point

Back