• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue said:
Yes, we had people pulling their hair out, how are we going to score at Bournemouth and Hartlepool with only one striker? How are we going to beat Leeds if we loan out the prolific Gary Hooper.

The fact remains that you only need 16 players on match day. What is the point in having 5 strikers, when only 3 of them are likely to see any first team action? What is the point in having 4 wingers, when only 3 of them are likely to get playing time? Maybe Maher will go off on loan to get "match fitness" maybe everyone's wishes will come true and we'll sell Harrold. As it stands we're going to have players kicking their heels in the reserves, without even a place on the bench for their 5 minute run-out. All that does is breed discontentment.
Yes, but by the same token, you can't just have a squad of 16 because, as we've seen 2 injuries / supensions and we're knackered.

Alot had been said about Tilson with some sections of the support doubting his ability. But this Transfer market, along with the support of Brush and Ron (Pat on the back for the financial support) has shown how shrewd a man Steve can be.

The signings of Masters, Scannell, Barnard and Revell on full time deals bodes well as all are still young and at a combined fee of under £200,000 it seems like a bargain!

The sqaud is also shaping up to become a potentially good Championship side. With most compontents still young and/or coming into potentially the most fruitful time in their career.

The likes of Francis, Bailey, Macca, Scannell, Hooper, Barnard, Revell, amongst others have the pedigree to achieve a great deal together in the future. Give the team a season to gel and they will be good enough to win promotion from League 1.

Well done Steve.

Now its the fans turn to encourage the new players on (and the rest of the team) and be the 12th man in the push for the play offs.

Come on you blues.

Onwards and Upwards!

Still reeling from the embarrassment :o that was my over-reaction to the Gary Hooper situation yesterday, I then read your post above. Now I feel even more :o . You have hit the nail on the head, agree with you 100%.

- G

For once I disagree with you YB, unless Hammell goes, I don't think we'll see anyone else going out of the door. I think he's trying to build a sqaud that has cover in every position, hence Kanu coming in as cover for Gower. Could still do with a centre-back but apart from that we're pretty well covered

GK - Orville / Collis

RB - Hunt / Francis

LB - Hammell

CB - Barrett + Clark / Liptak

RM - Black / Scanell

CM - Bailey + Macca / Maher + Moose

LM - Gower / Kanu

CF - Revell + Barnard / Harrold + Charlie Mac

Looks Ok to me for the rest of the season.

I know this is my first post and all, but I can't help but slate leaving out flahavan in GK position :eek:. He is still good enough at the moment- He may be small but still...

Yes, but by the same token, you can't just have a squad of 16 because, as we've seen 2 injuries / supensions and we're knackered.

Most suspensions are for one or two games. You can easily make do for one or two games eg last night we make do with Francis at right-back. You've then got your youngsters to fill the places on the bench.

If injuries put someone out for more than a month you'd look at getting a loanee in. Its a lot easier to recruit someone if you can offer them football.

Your squad as fine in theory, but in reality Tilly is going to get players to cover more than one position. The wingers are interchangeable, plus some games we might opt for a central midfielder tucking in. The likes of Black, Scannell and presumably Robson-Kanu offer options down the middle as well as up front. Players like Francis and Hunt are versatile and can cover multiple positions. Lokando should be looking to break into the match-day 16 as well.

Che Wilson will presumably be another option (easy to forget, admittedly) and Hooper is due back in a month, Ademano possibly as well.

Yes, we had people pulling their hair out, how are we going to score at Bournemouth and Hartlepool with only one striker? How are we going to beat Leeds if we loan out the prolific Gary Hooper.

The fact remains that you only need 16 players on match day. What is the point in having 5 strikers, when only 3 of them are likely to see any first team action? What is the point in having 4 wingers, when only 3 of them are likely to get playing time? Maybe Maher will go off on loan to get "match fitness" maybe everyone's wishes will come true and we'll sell Harrold. As it stands we're going to have players kicking their heels in the reserves, without even a place on the bench for their 5 minute run-out. All that does is breed discontentment.

And we'll get a couple of suspensions/injuries and be right up sh*ts creek again.

The size of the squad needed adjusting, and it has been. Tilson needs to praised for his hardwork in bringing in the people that needed to be, not chastised for it.

And we'll get a couple of suspensions/injuries and be right up sh*ts creek again.

The size of the squad needed adjusting, and it has been. Tilson needs to praised for his hardwork in bringing in the people that needed to be, not chastised for it.

I still maintain we weren't up **** creek.

I'd have much rather we tried to bring in a central defender rather than sign 3 strikers.

I still maintain we weren't up **** creek.

I'd have much rather we tried to bring in a central defender rather than sign 3 strikers.

Think Kanu is seen more as a winger than a striker to be honest, and Tily will look to use his apparent lightning pace.

I agree we need cover at the back, but what Tilly has done so far looks impressive.

But you cant say that our strike force wasen't lacking. Maybe if clarke had stayed and walker had passed his medical it would have been a different matter.

Im with you, I said all along people were panicking and overreacting, however I still dont think we have an excessive squad.

We dont for example have 4 first team wingers, we have Gower and Black with Scannell and not-N****u Kanu who can come in. Who would we loan out then ?

Midfield we have Maher and Moussa, Maher we need as Bailey and McCormack can get suspended and we wouldnt be able to recall him for a month. Moussa however we could loan out.

Up front we have Harrold who is surplus now, but we wont loan out Barnard or McDonald.

I actually think one centreback extra and we have just the right amount of players and those not immediately in the first team wont consider themselves first teamers yet (Maher aside) and wont be put out with squad roles.

Im with you, I said all along people were panicking and overreacting, however I still dont think we have an excessive squad.

We dont for example have 4 first team wingers, we have Gower and Black with Scannell and not-N****u Kanu who can come in. Who would we loan out then ?

Midfield we have Maher and Moussa, Maher we need as Bailey and McCormack can get suspended and we wouldnt be able to recall him for a month. Moussa however we could loan out.

Up front we have Harrold who is surplus now, but we wont loan out Barnard or McDonald.

I actually think one centreback extra and we have just the right amount of players and those not immediately in the first team wont consider themselves first teamers yet (Maher aside) and wont be put out with squad roles.

Moussa could cover McCormack/Bailey for a game or two. Maher hasn't actually looked particularly sharp in his recent first team appearances when returning to the team and could maybe do with some first team action. Going on loan would allow him still to have his testimonial, but I expect he'll want to hang around as he'll get more people turn up to his testimonial if he's remembered as a one club guy. I also have my doubts as to how fit he is these days. We've also got Lokando, who could cover on the bench if Moussa starts. Lokando may be a candidate to be loaned out if we lose tonight, as might someone like Herd.

I think the odd man out on the wings is Robson-Kanu, but we'll see. Presumably his loan is only for a month.

Che Wilson is surely surplus to requirements and Harrold might be vulnerable as well.

You make a very good point about players content to be squad players. Someone like Scannell was an excellent signing as he'll presumably be content with slowly easing his way into the squad and won't be knocking on the manager's door every time he's out of the team.

Devils advocate time...

We need to be careful not to get too carried away, Barnard has played 120 minutes and Revell only just walked in the door.

Im pleased with Barnards start, but Forans started well too..

Revell comes with a decent feedback from Brighton, but we havent seen him.

Im pleased to see these players and hopeful our squad is now stronger but time will tell if they are good signings and they will need time to settle.

All very promising so far so fingers crossed!

Yeah, a few months ago a few people here said the same things about Foran, Ricketts, etc. But more importantly, I think is the fact that Tilson has seemingly survived his first tricky period, something many managers get fired during. Credit to Tilly / Brush for pushing forward, and for Ron for not jerking his knee a bit swiftly.

Hopefully these signings, coupled with the decent side we know we have, can start moving forwards again...

You make a very good point about players content to be squad players. Someone like Scannell was an excellent signing as he'll presumably be content with slowly easing his way into the squad and won't be knocking on the manager's door every time he's out of the team.

Indeed, and Scannell offers something others dont with his pace so will have that to offer.

Lol, a few days ago there was no point discussing selection as the team had to pick itself, now we have options.

A far nicer place to be in.

I think the odd man out on the wings is Robson-Kanu, but we'll see. Presumably his loan is only for a month.

It's until the end of the season.

Cant be that clearly up to standard as I dont know who you are talking about . Hooper I assume ?

For me he has only had the one good game against Bournemouth ?

I presumed he was talking about Leon Clarke.

ooooh you've got me again Jam Man,your getting good at this!!
oooh try leon Clark........

Ah right.

So even though his attitude wasnt right and hardly clammering to sign you would still want him ?

Id be happy to see him here as he has ability but the reason I didnt even think of him when reading your post shows how much Ive written him off....

for me he is the one player who showed how to lead the front line for us this season, amazing vision, brought players in to the game and scored great goals, yep so he missed a few to, if harrold had missed half as many goals as he did you would all have your hands in your pants saying how good he was to get into that position, anyway what do I know ayye

Back