• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Final Order

1st/2nd: Adam Barrett vs Ryan Leonard
3rd: Ben Coker
4th: Anthony Wordsworth
5th: Michael Timlin
6th: Adam Thompson
7th: David Worrall
8th: Ted Smith
9th: Jack Bridge
10th: Will Atkinson
11th: Dan Bentley
12th: Stephen McLaughlin
13th: Jack Payne
14th: Tyrone Barnett
15th: Sam McQueen
16th: Cian Bolger
17th: Noel Hunt
18th: Kevan Hurst
19th: Gary Deegan
20th: Luke O'Neill
21st: Glen Kamara
22nd: Myles Weston
23rd: Luke Prosser
24th: John White
25th: Paul Smith
26th: David Mooney
27th: Jason Williams
28th: Jamar Loza

Final Order

1st/2nd: Adam Barrett vs Ryan Leonard
3rd: Ben Coker
4th: Anthony Wordsworth
5th: Michael Timlin
6th: Adam Thompson
7th: David Worrall
8th: Ted Smith
9th: Jack Bridge
10th: Will Atkinson
11th: Dan Bentley
12th: Stephen McLaughlin
13th: Jack Payne
14th: Tyrone Barnett
15th: Sam McQueen
16th: Cian Bolger
17th: Noel Hunt
18th: Kevan Hurst
19th: Gary Deegan
20th: Luke O'Neill
21st: Glen Kamara
22nd: Myles Weston
23rd: Luke Prosser
24th: John White
25th: Paul Smith
26th: David Mooney
27th: Jason Williams
28th: Jamar Loza

Club captain finished below a useless defender, two injured wingers who barely played all season and two loanees who didn't exactly set the world alight.

I vote for the shiny headed silverback that is simply ADAM.
his legs have gone. long in the tooth. should retire.
SO WHAT !
my favourite player passion wise and realistically his last full season in my eyes so I vote ADAM !

Ryan is up there on merit as well. We missed him whilst he was injured and no one could replace him. He has youth on his side and if he wins I couldn't have chosen anyone better to pip ADAM to the post.

Club captain finished below a useless defender, two injured wingers who barely played all season and two loanees who didn't exactly set the world alight.

Club captain is a useless defender

Except he's not. He was missed terribly in defence when O'Neill was playing. He's just one of those players people on here love to hate.

Except he's not. He was missed terribly in defence when O'Neill was playing. He's just one of those players people on here love to hate.

Absolutely right OBL. John White is a real 'marmite' player. Unfortunately those that rate him seldom say so, but those that love slagging him tend not to miss a moment to say so. It's the way it goes.

Did you go to Wigan away? John White put in probably the worst display from a Southend defender that I've ever seen. I think that will be fresh in people's minds.

Seems like a nice guy and does a lot off the pitch, but I think it's time for Brown to either give O'Neill a decent chance, or to bring in someone else. I'd also strip White of the captaincy - he has to take some of the responsibility for how we completely capitulated at the end of the season and I think that a combination of AB and Leonard would be better.

Did you go to Wigan away? John White put in probably the worst display from a Southend defender that I've ever seen. I think that will be fresh in people's minds.

Seems like a nice guy and does a lot off the pitch, but I think it's time for Brown to either give O'Neill a decent chance, or to bring in someone else. I'd also strip White of the captaincy - he has to take some of the responsibility for how we completely capitulated at the end of the season and I think that a combination of AB and Leonard would be better.

I think you only want him to take some responsibility because you don't rate him and never have. The whole team and PB was responsible for our season's finish. John White was playing during our purple patch near the play-offs, but presumably that doesn't count?

The truth is our Club Captain has horrendous distribution of the ball and waits too long before clearing his lines as well.
I am afraid his level was at League 2.

I disagree with everything in your post. Your 'truth' is, in fact, your opinion.His distribution has never been horrendous and his clearance rate was no worse than any of the other defenders in the team.

Both of you are entitled to your opinions on White, but maybe a bit of objectivity would help at times?

I think you only want him to take some responsibility because you don't rate him and never have. The whole team and PB was responsible for our season's finish. John White was playing during our purple patch near the play-offs, but presumably that doesn't count?

Did you purposefully ignore what I posted?

Of course Brown and the rest of the team should also take responsibility.

Did you purposefully ignore what I posted?

Of course Brown and the rest of the team should also take responsibility.

I'm not sure I read your post purposefully, but I did read it all. I challenged on the fact that you often single White out for criticism which I don't always think is justified. Your opinion is valid to you, I get that, but I don't agree.

and so to the vote off....

Lenny just shaved it, missed him when he was injured - we just seem more a 'team' with him in the side - club captain next season please :smile:

Of course we all have our opinions. It would be a boring world if we didn't. You may disagree with me which is your right.
It doesn't make you any more right or wrong than me, its a point of view.
My opinion is based on the sheer amount of times he played aimless balls over the top or held onto a pass until the opposition was on top of him or the player he passed to. Yes there were many other players with faults but our Captain was the one in conversation.Pretty much all our defenders were found wanting at League One level.
He was quality for us in League Two, I just felt he was found out in League One.
Again a subjective view.

Not once did I criticize him during the season or during games so my opinion now is less devisive.

I disagree with everything in your post. Your 'truth' is, in fact, your opinion.His distribution has never been horrendous and his clearance rate was no worse than any of the other defenders in the team.

Both of you are entitled to your opinions on White, but maybe a bit of objectivity would help at times?[/QUOTE]

White's a squad player for me. He wouldn't make it into the first team of a lot of other League One sides and now Brown has had the balls to rightfully give Barrett the captaincy, there's no reason he should walk into ours any longer either.

I would be giving O'Neill a decent chance to stake his claim in pre-season and if he's not up to the job, I'd be looking at a new right back.

White's a squad player for me. He wouldn't make it into the first team of a lot of other League One sides and now Brown has had the balls to rightfully give Barrett the captaincy, there's no reason he should walk into ours any longer either.

Barrett shouldn't be in the side going forwards. We need to aim higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course we all have our opinions. It would be a boring world if we didn't. You may disagree with me which is your right.
It doesn't make you any more right or wrong than me, its a point of view.
My opinion is based on the sheer amount of times he played aimless balls over the top or held onto a pass until the opposition was on top of him or the player he passed to. Yes there were many other players with faults but our Captain was the one in conversation.Pretty much all our defenders were found wanting at League One level.
He was quality for us in League Two, I just felt he was found out in League One.
Again a subjective view.

Not once did I criticize him during the season or during games so my opinion now is less devisive.

It's very seldom that I'm critical in a post but I feel/felt that White was getting singled out unfairly. As you say it's about opinions and we will have to disagree because I still think he did ok in most of the matches I saw him in.

Barrett shouldn't be in the side going forwards. We need to aim higher.

I agree that we shouldn't be relying on a 37 year old Barrett. I also don't think that means we should give the captaincy back to White and make him the first name on the team sheet.

I agree that we shouldn't be relying on a 37 year old Barrett. I also don't think that means we should give the captaincy back to White and make him the first name on the team sheet.

No, absolutely, Ryan Leonard is the clear and obvious candidate going forward.

Can we please take our petty squabbles elsewhere please. This WAS a lighthearted thread about our team. Thanks for ****ing it up:thumbdown:

Back