• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Well my fellow potato heads we move into June. The first earlys have been picked from the ground with 11 clubs picking up 23 players from 10 th May to 31st. Never cast a clout til May is out, or some mad saying like that. Will Southend be amongst the second earlys? still plenty of time before we harvest a main crop, but apparently we are digging for earlies according to our head gardener and lots of ducks have also been lined up, hopefully to be brought in before xmas

Speaking of Doncaster I see Baudry has gone there, surprised we didn't make a serious move unless we have a very impressive deal for a CB lined up.

Nathan Tyson has triggered a release clause in his contract with Doncaster! Worth an enquiry?

Not now I wouldn't. 7 goals in 36 games last season isn't a great return. He used to be really quick and although I've not seen him lately I'm guessing his age (34) and several injuries have put an end to him playing at our level. Probably got a season or two left in league 2?

Wouldn't surprise me to see PB look at Jamille Matt who's just been released from Fleetwood.

Wouldn't surprise me to see PB look at Jamille Matt who's just been released from Fleetwood.

Looks like he is lined up to sign for Plymouth where he has been on loan- whether the fact they didn't go up changes anything I doubt. Good player maybe we could do better. Fleetwood clearly didn't believe he could set L1 alight.

Any of Novak, Akinde or Reid would be great business. I also wouldn't mind us taking a look at Curtis Main who I believe is transfer listed at Doncaster. Decent young player with potential, although I think he had a falling out with Donny after refusing to be recalled back from his loan spell.

I also think Knott would be a great signing as he and Lenny in central midfield would run the show. We'd surely have the two hardest working, highest work rate, box to box central midfielders in the league. Play Wordsworth in the hole behind the striker in the Jack Payne role and we'll be on to something - especially if the striker is one of the ones mentioned above.

I really like Novak, are Chesterfield getting rid of him then? Seems strange, thought he played well for them.

Bailey - got promoted with Barnet and played L2 before coming to Southend
Clohessy - established at Gillingham, youth at Arsenal
Coker - ex Col U
Hall - played a few games at Palace

None of these were exclusively non-league.

Who said they had to be exclusively non-league?

I'd rather a stand out non-league player than someone who didn't make enough of an impression in the reserves.

The gap between league and non-league is less than the gap between league and reserves.

I understand the thinking behind getting a "diamond" from the non-league ...... but as said the players are in the lower divisions for a reason.

Having said that players develop and mature at differing rates and so it can be that a player that falls down the leagues after having been a promising youth can come good ............ but quite who to pick is tricky, isn't it?

That Dave Martin was an England Under 21 captain I think ........ and he played most of his career in the 3rd and 4th division, didn't he?

In some ways it is a Catch 22 situation - you need to have some budget reserve to take the risk on the players and their wages and then hopefully hit the jackpot ........... but you can't do that when you have such a tight financial position. :'(

Why is it that no-one mentions Anton Flood in discussions like this. Oh hang on, I just did.

Hash tag: Nonleagueflopsandsuccesses

There's risk in every signing.

David Mooney was an established league one player but has been **** for us. Noel Hunt had a fantastic CV on paper but has been a poor signing.

I'd rather take a player on the way up, than one who's moving sideways or is on the way down.

Speaking of Doncaster I see Baudry has gone there, surprised we didn't make a serious move unless we have a very impressive deal for a CB lined up.

I was surprised Doncaster went down, but we all know how quickly things can deteriorate as well as move on up in football. This looks a good signing for them as they prepare for life in a league lower, bringing in 5 new players so far this early season, may be worth a bob or two shout for them coming back up.
I think , apart from my annual heartfelt bet on us to go up, that I will trust a few pounds on Sheffield United to go up automatically. They have just signed Duffy from Birmingham on a 2 year deal and the promising young Bury fullback. Duffy for me was the best player I had seen in this league last year, so shrewd move?

I was surprised Doncaster went down, but we all know how quickly things can deteriorate as well as move on up in football. This looks a good signing for them as they prepare for life in a league lower, bringing in 5 new players so far this early season, may be worth a bob or two shout for them coming back up.
I think , apart from my annual heartfelt bet on us to go up, that I will trust a few pounds on Sheffield United to go up automatically. They have just signed Duffy from Birmingham on a 2 year deal and the promising young Bury fullback. Duffy for me was the best player I had seen in this league last year, so shrewd move?

I see Sheffield have also transfer listed Diego De Girolamo. I remember seeing him play for York once and thinking what a real talent he was. Would love us to take a look at him, especially as he's still only 20 and can play as a winger or as a second striker.

I see Sheffield have also transfer listed Diego De Girolamo. I remember seeing him play for York once and thinking what a real talent he was. Would love us to take a look at him, especially as he's still only 20 and can play as a winger or as a second striker.

What's happened to him then? Loadsa clubs were after him a few years back. Injury?

What's happened to him then? Loadsa clubs were after him a few years back. Injury?

I'm not actually too sure. I remember Juventus being interested a year or so ago too. Doesn't seem to have been given a chance with Sheffield United, so maybe they've just cut their losses. Would be an excellent signing though. I'd much rather see us sign lads like that over players who are 30+ and starting their decline.

According to today's paper in Bradford Billy Knott says he has had interest from quite a few clubs so far but despite reading what PB said in the Echo he says he's had no contact with Southend.

According to today's paper in Bradford Billy Knott says he has had interest from quite a few clubs so far but despite reading what PB said in the Echo he says he's had no contact with Southend.

Our main target is Moussa- I think we will only be interested in Knott if that doesn't get over the line. Room to sign only one CM. TBH we already have Tims & Leonard who would be a bit similar to Knott- Moussa would bring something we lack on the ball.

Our main target is Moussa- I think we will only be interested in Knott if that doesn't get over the line. Room to sign only one CM. TBH we already have Tims & Leonard who would be a bit similar to Knott- Moussa would bring something we lack on the ball.

To be honest the Knott signing should be a no brainer! Moussa hasn't proved he can be fit for the whole season and Tims hasn't proved he will get back to his old ways. Knott is an established league one player who we should be doing everything we can to sign.

Also we would have no worries of him being 'home sick' as he is a canvey born lad.

Back