• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Don't expect early signings. Club policy (NOT PB) policy has been to sign later on in the window. See no reason why that will change.

Where did you make this up from!!!!!

Why in the world would we have a club policy like that - as I have pointed out on numerous occasions, we will not be top of many players clubs to join (and many that we are, we probably don't want!!). Add that to the fact that cost of living in the South East is expensive; I reckon these are the reasons we struggle to make early signings

Why in the world would we have a club policy like that - as I have pointed out on numerous occasions, we will not be top of many players clubs to join (and many that we are, we probably don't want!!). Add that to the fact that cost of living in the South East is expensive; I reckon these are the reasons we struggle to make early signings
This. Four of the bigger names in our squad Cox, Kightly, Turner and Ferdinand signed later on in the window and I dare say it’s because other deals didn’t come through!

Don't expect early signings. Club policy (NOT PB) policy has been to sign later on in the window. See no reason why that will change.

I suspect that Club policy is don't make signings at top price (players' salary and agents demands) when the market has just opened but wait till near the end when they start to get desperate and will take anything on offer -end of line sales.

This. Four of the bigger names in our squad Cox, Kightly, Turner and Ferdinand signed later on in the window and I dare say it’s because other deals didn’t come through!

This is exactly why it's club policy.

The belief is that as the summer draws on, better quality is available at lower cost than at the start of the summer because as you say, the offers those players were hoping for didn't come off. It can save a great deal in sign on bonuses and the like.

If you blow the budget early on in the summer, you don't have enough wiggle room when these players become available.

Very decent contacts in the football world, not specifically SUFC, but Agents who have worked with the club on deals in the past. See my last post as to reasons behind it.

Very decent contacts in the football world, not specifically SUFC, but Agents who have worked with the club on deals in the past. See my last post as to reasons behind it.

Ok, seems logical for maybe a couple of players, but I can't see that the club just sits around for 2 months at the end of the season before they start contacting players/agents.

This is exactly why it's club policy.

The belief is that as the summer draws on, better quality is available at lower cost than at the start of the summer because as you say, the offers those players were hoping for didn't come off. It can save a great deal in sign on bonuses and the like.

If you blow the budget early on in the summer, you don't have enough wiggle room when these players become available.

I agree with paragraphs 2 and 3 ............. but adding those two together doesn't make it a club policy, does it?

As you say, the later in the summer it is the more likely that the right quality for the right price players will be available but if we are after a certain type of player and they become available on the right terms in early June then I am sure the club would sign them, wouldn't they? Surely the club wouldn't say "no, we'll have to wait because we have a policy of only signing as late as possible". That just doesn't make sense to me.

Ok, seems logical for maybe a couple of players, but I can't see that the club just sits around for 2 months at the end of the season before they start contacting players/agents.

Not at all, they'll be proactively out there but they will have a few players identified for each position desired and they'll be speaking with them but they'll also be comfortable with some of those targets going elsewhere should they get a different offer or don't want to hold on and wait. Transfers are like a game of dominoes, once one happens the rest follow. I've heard that the club is happy to be one of the last to fall as that is where they believe the value in the market is. There are plenty of very good footballers out there without clubs at the end of the transfer window, as we have seen in recent years.

That doesn't mean that if CP desperately wants player X we won't go and sign them tomorrow on the terms required, it's not a rigid policy as such, but it's a strategy that the club believe works for them, as I understand it.

That doesn't mean that if CP desperately wants player X we won't go and sign them tomorrow on the terms required, it's not a rigid policy as such, but it's a strategy that the club believe works for them, as I understand it.

So are you now saying that it is not policy? It is a strategy.

Make your mind up. :smiles:

Not at all, they'll be proactively out there but they will have a few players identified for each position desired and they'll be speaking with them but they'll also be comfortable with some of those targets going elsewhere should they get a different offer or don't want to hold on and wait. Transfers are like a game of dominoes, once one happens the rest follow. I've heard that the club is happy to be one of the last to fall as that is where they believe the value in the market is. There are plenty of very good footballers out there without clubs at the end of the transfer window, as we have seen in recent years.

But that's not how you originally worded it - you said it was club policy to leave transfer late, hence my original reply and why I questioned this.

If only you put it like this in the first place :smile:

Interviewing and speaking to 30 players before the end of May last season proves he was happy to do his part of the pledge.

Another reason is that players have various deals with their current club. In some cases like Turner last season he was paid by Norwich for the month of July because he hadn't signed for another club. In his case about an extra £60,000 more than if he had signed for us at the end of June.
Although I agree that there's no hurry to sign players, like Bury did to their detriment, I've always been baffled by PB's tactic last summer. 'Interviewing' 30 players during May was perversely counter-productive and a tad half-arsed, IMO. It's basically a job application in reverse. Why not narrow the shortlist down to 10 or even 5 and take time to actually sell the club to them rather than shout 'Next!'. That way you can keep in touch with the player and agent and show genuine interest. The transfer could take weeks - as I believe Peter Clarke's did back in the day - but at least it provides a sense of focus.

Although I agree that there's no hurry to sign players, like Bury did to their detriment, I've always been baffled by PB's tactic last summer. 'Interviewing' 30 players during May was perversely counter-productive and a tad half-arsed, IMO. It's basically a job application in reverse. Why not narrow the shortlist down to 10 or even 5 and take time to actually sell the club to them rather than shout 'Next!'. That way you can keep in touch with the player and agent and show genuine interest. The transfer could take weeks - as I believe Peter Clarke's did back in the day - but at least it provides a sense of focus.

But it cost us a million quid...

I clearly didn't say he interviewed 30 players. Any L1 mid table club manger would have to speak to at least 30 players to sign 8 of them. Those are just the facts of football. Its pointless trying to compare it to other industries.

Managers like CP and now PB will have their phones ringing all day this time of year form agents etc. As we have seen last year even when your current out of contract staff give their word to the manager and chairman, they then go somewhere else.

Interviewing and speaking to 30 players before the end of May last season proves he was happy to do his part of the pledge.

Another reason is that players have various deals with their current club. In some cases like Turner last season he was paid by Norwich for the month of July because he hadn't signed for another club. In his case about an extra £60,000 more than if he had signed for us at the end of June.

I clearly didn't say he interviewed 30 players. Any L1 mid table club manger would have to speak to at least 30 players to sign 8 of them. Those are just the facts of football. Its pointless trying to compare it to other industries.

Managers like CP and now PB will have their phones ringing all day this time of year form agents etc. As we have seen last year even when your current out of contract staff give their word to the manager and chairman, they then go somewhere else.

You clearly did :smile:

Back