• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

And what level was he playing at between 2009 and signing for us? You really think comparing scoring records in the premiership and championship is comparable to league 1! Wow

A striker is supposed to score goals. He doesn't. A proven failure at a higher level and mediocre at best at League 1.

A striker is supposed to score goals. He doesn't. A proven failure at a higher level and mediocre at best at League 1.

So you dont rate SC, that much is clear (though I wonder what your opinions are on the other current strikers we have at the club). Your biggest criticism seems to be the lack of goals he scores (I tend to agree) at this level BUT my question to you is, if he were to leave who do we bring in to score those goals at this level?

This is the main problem I have with the criticism of Cox - not scoring enough goals. I do actually agree that maybe if he concentrated on staying a little further up the pitch then he’d get more chances. If you think of someone at a higher level, this same argument could be thrown at Wayne Rooney.

However my issue with this is that very few strikers in Leagues One and Two hit 20-25 goals a season. If they do then they’re very quickly snapped up by bigger clubs. Chances are that if they can score that many at that level then with a bit of coaching and playing with better players they’d likely get 10 in the Championship so a decent squad striker.

So if you do agree with the above then the few strikers that do score regularly at this level are going to be highly sort after and IMO often out of reach. So our next logical plan is to build a team (rather than a pair of strikers) who will score enough goals between them to compete. And if you can’t afford a striker that will score 20-25 goals a season then your next best plan is to fill your side with strikers that can create opportunities for others. And Simon Cox and Marc Antoine Fortune certainly did that. I agree that the strikers still need to carry some goal threat themselves and this is why I don’t have an issue with Fortune leaving. But I still feel Cox has goals in him, he just went through a dry spell last season which can happen to any player.

Jesus Christ can someone give us a rumour or talk about someone other than Simon Cox please?

Going to rename this the 2018 Simon Cox thread at the rate it’s going.

i saw Roy Hollis and he was great ,him and Sam McCrory made a great strike force,have them in my top 10 anyday.

Although he scored loads of goals I thought of Sam as an inside right (i.e. midfielder) rather than a forward, who was picked to first and foremost score goals.

Wonderful player though.

Jesus Christ can someone give us a rumour or talk about someone other than Simon Cox please?

Going to rename this the 2018 Simon Cox thread at the rate it’s going.

I want us to sign Ebou Adams and Luke Daniels.

Is that better?

Is that better?

Much better, I would only go for Daniels if we don’t keep hold of Oxley. I reckon Scunthorpe might go back for Daniels.

Is that better?

I haven’t heard of Ebou Adams. What position does he play in? What type of player is he?

Luke Daniels is a solid keeper and would be a good replacement if Oxley doesn’t sign on, would also be good for the young keepers we have through the youth team.

I’d like to know more strikers we could realistically get in. So far the only name I have seen mentioned is Lyle Taylor and with many other clubs looking at him, not sure it will happen. The one plus we have, if Cox does leave, is that with only Theo, Ba and Wabo we can almost guarantee game time in the first half of the season!

Spoke to a Norwich supporter and colleague of mine. He says Adams isn't anywhere near League One standard of football.

I said I'm going to keep an open mind as when CP arrived nobody was playing at a League One standard and we finished with top 6 form from then. Who knows...

Spoke to a Norwich supporter and colleague of mine. He says Adams isn't anywhere near League One standard of football.

I said I'm going to keep an open mind as when CP arrived nobody was playing at a League One standard and we finished with top 6 form from then. Who knows...
Quick google search indicates that the Norwich fan may be correct!

Let's look at the facts, CP has done a fantastic job since he arrived and I'd be shocked if anyone thinks otherwise - we clearly showed top 6 form and results from those 18 games. He obviously has a very definite idea of who he wants to bring in to the football club and how he wants us to play next season. He oversaw a large turnover of players during his first summer at Charlton and they went on to win League One with 100+ points. The guy isn't stupid, he's a very well-respected manager/coach who has a track record of doing a good job at Charlton and Huddersfield. Some people on here obviously think they know better than CP and the highly-regarded coaching team he's put together - in my opinion if CP and his staff believe the likes of Timlin and Fortune have to move on then that's fine by me, they're paid to make difficult decisions and they're in a much better position than every single one of us to make those calls. Yes I'd personally love Cox to stay but if he doesn't it will be because CP believes he can get better value out of alternative targets and if that's the case I fully support that. Timlin (in particular) and Fortune have done the club proud during their time here and I wish them all the very best wherever they end up (as I would Cox if he officially departs as he's done well for us over the past two seasons) but no player is bigger than this football club.

Apparently he's told Orient he won't be joining them. They're expecting him to join a league club in the next few days.

This is correct.

A wirey player and looks too good for non-league. Very athletic, a box to box midfielder tackles well, not afraid to go in where it hurts. Good passer of the ball and difficult to dispossess.

Doesn't score very often, but would be a crowd favourite if given a run in the team.

Expect him to join local league team, either yourselves, Col U or Gills.

This is correct.

A wirey player and looks too good for non-league. Very athletic, a box to box midfielder tackles well, not afraid to go in where it hurts. Good passer of the ball and difficult to dispossess.

Doesn't score very often, but would be a crowd favourite if given a run in the team.

Expect him to join local league team, either yourselves, Col U or Gills.

Hmmm, the inbred cousins of FL2, Gillingham the team we finished seven places above and who we slaughtered 5-0 in their last game at Roots Hall or Southend. tricky decision.

Although he scored loads of goals I thought of Sam as an inside right (i.e. midfielder) rather than a forward, who was picked to first and foremost score goals.

Wonderful player though.
As his goals scored shows,Sammy Mclroy was very much a striker.He played as “ second striker”(modern term)off the taller,better header Roy Hollis and they both couldn’t stop scoring.The other inside-forward (old-fashioned term) Kevin Baron was the “ schemer”and also a brilliant player.

Unless your colleague is a regular watcher of Norwich’s reserve team or of the 3 clubs Adams has played for on loan since he moved to Norfolk, I’d take what he says with a pinch of salt.

Unless your colleague is a regular watcher of Norwich’s reserve team or of the 3 clubs Adams has played for on loan since he moved to Norfolk, I’d take what he says with a pinch of salt.

Absolutely. Even was some way on under other managers I back CP to get the best out of him anyway.

Back