• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This guy has just been released by QPR and has attended a trial with Billericay!

He absolutely ruined us twice in four days when he was on loan at Gillingham.

This man has just been released by QPR and has attended a trial with Billericay!

He absolutely ruined us twice in four days when he was on loan at Gillingham.

He scored against us in those two games - and each time he turned the game around and looked like being a very good loan signing ............... however, in order to balance the conversation, if my memory is correct, later that season the same player could not get in the starting XI for Gillingham and was sat on the bench.

I'm confused, have they signed him or not? and more importantly how long until they become a genuine competition to southend in terms of signing players?

I live in Billericay, so geographically they are my local side, as a result i have popped over there a few times a season. It used to be a lovely family type local club. Now it has become a commercial, PR stunt, money driven vehicle attempting to buy its way to success. Average crowds have gone from around 300 to around 800-900, largely made up of Tampons mates and a lot of disgruntled Spammers. I went over there quite a few times last season often wearing my Southend cap, the level of abuse was unbariable and as a result me and my son won't be going again. They are dining out on the fact that they beat our U21s 7-3 in the Essex cup and genuinely think they are Essex top dogs.

I doubt the project will have a happy ending, these situations rarely do, Tampon will get bored if they don't get succeed or eventually his dodgy business dealings will get found out. As for financial fair play, it doesn't exist at this level, but how will they cope when it does?

So I doubt they will ever be competitive at our level either on the playing field or in signing players.

#one team in Essex

Talking of being competition for Billericay, would anyone like to see JET with us? He's a unit [we need a target man], can play and score at this level as we know. There was a lot of talk about his attitude and being lazy towards the end of his loan at Gillingham. But I don't think that'd be the case under CP.

Of course we don't need to take a risk on such a player like we used to under PB. But if you're looking for a diamond in the rough that you could cultivate, JET could fit the description.

Talking of being competition for Billericay, would anyone like to see JET with us? He's a unit [we need a target man], can play and score at this level as we know. There was a lot of talk about his attitude and being lazy towards the end of his loan at Gillingham. But I don't think that'd be the case under CP.

Of course we don't need to take a risk on such a player like we used to under PB. But if you're looking for a diamond in the rough that you could cultivate, JET could fit the description.

Based on your description alone, it doesn't sound much like a "diamond" in the rough - more like pyrite .............

The only "unit" I'd like to see sign for us is Akinfenwe, has the right attitude and is great with fans too.

The only "unit" I'd like to see sign for us is Akinfenwe, has the right attitude and is great with fans too.

Barely runs off the ball. Suspect he will only be a bit part player this season. Way past his best which is why he has been playing in league 2 last few seasons. Would prefer MAF over him.

Squad looking pretty good, but still concerned about where the goals are coming from. Yes, we have something like 5 strikers, but none of them are going to get 20+ goals a season. Seen some decent strikers moving here and there in League 1 and League 2 and thinking if we had tried to get them. John Akinde was the one I thought we'd be in for, but he ended up at Lincoln. Money talks I guess. Hope that CP can find a gem from somewhere, but time is short now. If we can't I guess we go with what we've got. Midfield will need to chip in with goals more this season.

Squad looking pretty good, but still concerned about where the goals are coming from. Yes, we have something like 5 strikers, but none of them are going to get 20+ goals a season. Seen some decent strikers moving here and there in League 1 and League 2 and thinking if we had tried to get them. John Akinde was the one I thought we'd be in for, but he ended up at Lincoln. Money talks I guess. Hope that CP can find a gem from somewhere, but time is short now. If we can't I guess we go with what we've got. Midfield will need to chip in with goals more this season.

Absolutely right - the midfield need to chip in with goals - along with the odd goal from defenders like Demi, White and Turner.

Haven’t got a clue, but you should get into after dinner speeches with that quick whit and humour

Nah, too busy saving the world, pointing out peoples mistakes and editing peoples swear filter avoidance on here. Maybe you should do it instead, sarcasm seems to be working well for you.

It's harsh on Lincoln to say 'money talks' like Lincoln isn't a club someone would otherwise want to play for.

Lincoln are a club on the up with a great management team that players would want to play under. Add that to the fact Akinde hasn't had the best season due to injury, it would be a risk for a player to make the step up without that momentum. I think he made an astute decision to join a club aiming for promotion and give himself the opportunity to play his way out of the division.

Would have liked him a few years ago. Problem is with our shirt deal he would need a special one made as Nike don't cater for bodybuilder or overweight figures

The Cowley's have done away with the strict wage structure they had imposed in their first two years at the club.
I'm reliably informed that they secured Akinde's services on 3.5k per week on a 3 year contract. To get the deal over the line they have also helped Akinde's wife secure a job in the area. They literally leave no stone unturned when it comes to player recruitment.
Whether we were ever in for Akinde, I don't know, but at 29 I wouldn't have been keen on us putting so many eggs in one basket.

Back