• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Glad you're warming to Browny. He's nothing if not enthusiast and won't accept anything less than 110% from anyone under any circumstances. I don't think he took well to the premadonnas egos here, due to the nature of promoted club up through the play offs, beggars cannot be choosers and we had to take anyone we could to improve us. Personalities and egos clashed and poor Phil just couldn't keep on top of it.

He had a 'naughty step' which most of our naturally talented players ended up sitting on whilst our less talented grafters made up the XI. I always thought if he could learn from his mistakes with dealing with the more arrogant self centred types he made here, he could make a good manager. He was never frightened of having a go when the world backed us to lose and it led to some memorable results for us.

Back on topic to the game I watched your highlights last night and the pitch will play right into your hands, being honest its ready for planting crops in. Our players are all used to more of a slick passing game, the only big man we have is Sagbo who is currently our main striker and definitely won't play unless we have a new striker in by then.

In reply to londonblue, are they going to go renaming the leagues again? ;)

Regarding the pitch, to be fair it is usually an excellent surface; the amount of rain we have had lately ( indeed it is tanking down now) has hardly helped matters.

Glad you're warming to Browny. He's nothing if not enthusiast and won't accept anything less than 110% from anyone under any circumstances. I don't think he took well to the premadonnas egos here, due to the nature of promoted club up through the play offs, beggars cannot be choosers and we had to take anyone we could to improve us. Personalities and egos clashed and poor Phil just couldn't keep on top of it.

He had a 'naughty step' which most of our naturally talented players ended up sitting on whilst our less talented grafters made up the XI. I always thought if he could learn from his mistakes with dealing with the more arrogant self centred types he made here, he could make a good manager. He was never frightened of having a go when the world backed us to lose and it led to some memorable results for us.

Back on topic to the game I watched your highlights last night and the pitch will play right into your hands, being honest its ready for planting crops in. Our players are all used to more of a slick passing game, the only big man we have is Sagbo who is currently our main striker and definitely won't play unless we have a new striker in by then.

I think you know what I meant!

Just to re-iterate the point made by RobM regarding the pitch. One of the first things Brown did was spend money in the summer on improving the surface. The problem at the moment is the amount of rain that it’s had to deal with.

Last season around this time we had the same issue, but due to the severe cold from just about this time until the end of March the pitch never had a chance to recover. (Grass doesn’t grow when the soil temperature drops below about 5-6 C.) The club then spent money on the surface in the summer to “repair” it.

So long as the temperatures don’t drop too far from where they are at the moment, and the rain eases up (which it is forecast to do from Thursday onwards) the pitch should recover to a certain extent, especially as we only have one home game between now and then.

Tell us more about the pink jumper, surely pink and orange clash ? :winking:

I think so, but I'll let you decide for yourself

brown2.jpg

Pitch - shame about the weather, nothing can be done about that. We're blessed with under soil heating and all the other gimmicks but an extended west stand means it gets little sunlight over the winter months and ours always ends up in a bit of a state around now. But just to shed a little light on how it will affect us, last season our pitch looked wonderful from the stands or TV cameras, it was only when you actually stepped on it you felt the uneven surface and spotted some of the bare patches. Even that was enough to put us off our slick passing game we utilised for te first half of the season and resulted in us having to be a bit more direct.

Hopefully it does recover in time because our style will be to play through, and if it ends up a game of crosses into the box we haven't really anyone to challenge in the air. Not that the pitch could be an excuse should we lose but it won't help us anyway.

Just to pick up on this point.
Whilst it was mentioned earlier that we have lost some very good players in the past couple of seasons ( Tomlin, Clohessy , Cresswell , Mohsni , Assombalonga ( loan ) , Hall , Ferdinand ) , what we have now is a TEAM.

One that Brown mostly inherited , but nevertheless one that he has moulded and got them playing a really good style of football and all working really hard.
It's perhaps unfair of me to give the impression that they are just 'grafters' , because we have some very young and talented players who are improving month by month.

But despite some of the aforementioned being real crowd favourites and some able to win a game on their own , I would not have any of them back right now because from the outside it seems that we have real unity and a strong work ethic which have seen us improve a lot despite having a small squad.

In conclusion , of course as premier league opposition , you should beat us regardless of your starting 11 and regardless of the pitch ( although nice touch getting your excuses in early :winking: ) , but I think ( hope ) that we will give you a really hard game.

Just to pick up on this point.
Whilst it was mentioned earlier that we have lost some very good players in the past couple of seasons ( Tomlin, Clohessy , Cresswell , Mohsni , Assombalonga ( loan ) , Hall , Ferdinand ) , what we have now is a TEAM.

One that Brown mostly inherited , but nevertheless one that he has moulded and got them playing a really good style of football and all working really hard.
It's perhaps unfair of me to give the impression that they are just 'grafters' , because we have some very young and talented players who are improving month by month.

But despite some of the aforementioned being real crowd favourites and some able to win a game on their own , I would not have any of them back right now because from the outside it seems that we have real unity and a strong work ethic which have seen us improve a lot despite having a small squad.

In conclusion , of course as premier league opposition , you should beat us regardless of your starting 11 and regardless of the pitch ( although nice touch getting your excuses in early :winking: ) , but I think ( hope ) that we will give you a really hard game.

I'd say because not despite.

Players tend to be happy when they're in the team and unhappy when they're out of the team. A small squad means the majority of players are happy, whilst a big squad means lots of discontented players pulling the mood down.

I'd say because not despite.

Players tend to be happy when they're in the team and unhappy when they're out of the team. A small squad means the majority of players are happy, whilst a big squad means lots of discontented players pulling the mood down.

Maybe, but it is despite having a small squad because we have been lucky (so far) with injuries.

Don't forget we've lost Kiernan, White has dislocated his shoulder, and we're also in a fight with 2 other clubs to sign Thompson. Worst case scenario is that we only have two central defenders, and will have to move Leonard to right back. Our squad is simply too small.

Maybe, but it is despite having a small squad because we have been lucky (so far) with injuries.

Don't forget we've lost Kiernan, White has dislocated his shoulder, and we're also in a fight with 2 other clubs to sign Thompson. Worst case scenario is that we only have two central defenders, and will have to move Leonard to right back. Our squad is simply too small.

Or we could play Auger.

Back