• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

You've got to say the natives are getting restless are as Southend fans are concerned over the past few weeks and I'm sure a lot of this is due to the relative recent successes that T&B (& RM as well in certain areas don't forget) have brought to our club.

However, just been reading the Scottish Sun and one of the out of contract Motherwell players (Stephen Hughes) has turned down a move to Norwich City as £7k a week is not enough for him. Now, we all remember from our dealings with Hammell, Foran & Mulgrew that we (at one stage) were offering salaries on a par or indeed if not better than that of some of the non Old-Firm SPL clubs.

I can guarantee there's no way that we'll in the short to medium term be offering anybody in the region of £7k a week & I'm sure again that 90% of regulars on here would agree this is the correct policy, especially in these interesting financial times.

OK, things have moved as quickly or as smoothly as we all (both fans and management team included) would have liked but hopefully we might get to hear a bit of good news too. Also, if either or even both our foregin trialists work out then we might have well picked up another bargain.

This is no time to start slating the club, or the Echo or indeed the bloke down the road who fixes Tilly's golf cart. Lets take a step back & hope with the mangement of 2 proven characters who put SUFC first that a couple of decent signings and also a couple of loans (season long preferably) will come to fruition before Aug8.

You've got to say the natives are getting restless are as Southend fans are concerned over the past few weeks and I'm sure a lot of this is due to the relative recent successes that T&B (& RM as well in certain areas don't forget) have brought to our club.

However, just been reading the Scottish Sun and one of the out of contract Motherwell players (Stephen Hughes) has turned down a move to Norwich City as £7k a week is not enough for him. Now, we all remember from our dealings with Hammell, Foran & Mulgrew that we (at one stage) were offering salaries on a par or indeed if not better than that of some of the non Old-Firm SPL clubs.

I can guarantee there's no way that we'll in the short to medium term be offering anybody in the region of £7k a week & I'm sure again that 90% of regulars on here would agree this is the correct policy, especially in these interesting financial times.

OK, things have moved as quickly or as smoothly as we all (both fans and management team included) would have liked but hopefully we might get to hear a bit of good news too. Also, if either or even both our foregin trialists work out then we might have well picked up another bargain.

This is no time to start slating the club, or the Echo or indeed the bloke down the road who fixes Tilly's golf cart. Lets take a step back & hope with the mangement of 2 proven characters who put SUFC first that a couple of decent signings and also a couple of loans (season long preferably) will come to fruition before Aug8.

I think you have been slightly mislead there. I know that Tilly like to walk a course when playing golf, not only does it help with course management, but gives him more time to ponder who he isn't going to be able to afford.

On a serious note, I think that this is a very good post. £7k a week is never going to happen, so getting players in is going to be a struggle and to get the best players possible on what we can pay is going to take time.

Anyone think there was a clue in Geoff King's comments following the Chairmans' meeting when he said something along the lines of - players' high wages were madness- and -clubs could not go on running their business in the way they are currently-?

I think his comment of "Funk off, it's the summer and the middle of the funking cricket season, now go and watch the funking Ashes" was a bigger clue. He's one funking dude.

I think his comment of "Funk off, it's the summer and the middle of the funking cricket season, now go and watch the funking Ashes" was a bigger clue. He's one funking dude.

I doubt he would be that insensitive - he knows that there are a lot of people around who haven't got Sky ;)

"Channel funking 5", King Geoff would say to that. And let's face it Channel 5 are cruel to everyone with their 'quality' programming consisting of CSI and more CSI. Oh, and the stimulating, intellectually challenging "Quiz Call" where chavs ring up premium lines on the off-chance of winning £25 and 200 B & H's.

The Las Vegas one is fine, and the New York one is good in small doses, but Miami should be left to rot, conjouring up awful images of something even worse than Crockett & Tubbs trying to nail Phil Collins.

Speaking of which a nail or two in the right place into Phil Collins would be must-see-tv on Channel 5. It would also be a great Southend signing if they got them to do it at Roots Hall.

Back