• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A.d.h.d

Special Blue

Coach⭐
Having gone to school in the 70's and 80's i cannot recall anyone having A.D.H.D, O.D.D etc.
I realise these are known conditions but in my day bad behaviour would result with the slipper at best.
I'm not sure on this as I believe many young people claim this as an excuse for their ways.
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but would love to hear opinions, especially those in education as it must be challenging.
Thanks SB

That's because it was never identified until recently. It's called progress, and unless you're an expert (which I strongly doubt) then leave it to the experts. Thank god we've stopped beating 7 bells out of mentally ill children eh?

To be fair, there were more "special" schools and institutions that people with what were then considered "mental" conditions, went into so they weren't in mainstream education. I read an article somewhere that said ritalin had been used to treat hyperactivity a lot earlier than we'd expect though, in the 40s or 50s, and I think for "hyperactivity" you could probably substitute ADHD.

With respect if I was an expert i'd be asking someone with qualifications in the medical profession.
It's a genuine question, How can it not have been identified? Youngsters have always been young, even when you and i were young!

Whilst these kind of conditions werent around/known of back in the 70's and Im sure some kids got labelled as trouble makers, or low intelligence because of dyslexia, Im sure that nowdays they are used as handy pegs to hang any issues on.

Some kids are just bad kids, some just arent very clever, being able to blame behaviour on a condition they may not have is just as bad as not identifying a real issue a child may have.

Whilst these kind of conditions werent around/known of back in the 70's and Im sure some kids got labelled as trouble makers, or low intelligence because of dyslexia, Im sure that nowdays they are used as handy pegs to hang any issues on.

Some kids are just bad kids, some just arent very clever, being able to blame behaviour on a condition they may not have is just as bad as not identifying a real issue a child may have.
Agree with pretty much all of that. Some people seem only too keen to hang a label on a child when often it's just down to some pretty **** awful parenting.

Back