• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy_S

Member of the Barry Corr Fan Club
Days like yesterday are why we all love this game and this club!

It started off in a slightly surreal way when I watched the extra time and penalties of the FA Cup Final on the Sky monitor next to our dugout, in a select group of about 5 fans, along with half the squad who were supposed to be warming up, Policemen, the programme seller and just about whoever else walked down the track next to the pitch! It became a little pocket of Arsenal fans as every player who was there, along with everyone else watching wanted Arsenal to win, prompting clapping and cheering when Manure were defeated. Spinner in particular was pleased as punch they lost.

On to the game though. Well I don't think I can say anything different to what's been said already. Several players made themselves a hero, and I'm still in absolute amazement at 'That Save' and 'That performance' by Nicky. Quite frankly I don't think I've ever seen a better save at Roots Hall, it was incredible. Nicky showed every player who wants a contract what they should do. I just hope that that's not the sole reason he played the way he did. If he kept that up he'd be in the team week in week out and he'd be a key player. Was he just turning it on to get another deal before floating back to mediocrity though?

The day finished by walking back to the car, parked right over behind the Hospital thanks to all the Northampton fans turning up early and nicking the spaces, and because having to walk past all the Northampton coaches we had to walk through a sea of away fans. I was slightly surprised to be greeted by handshake and good luck wishes for the final when one guy saw my Southend shirt. It just sort of summed up the day. I really felt for them and their players, because it's exactly what we've been through 3 times in the last month or so, what with the LDV Final, along with the Yeovil and Grimsby games.

Ratings:

Flahavan 7.5: Tempted to give him a 10 for the save alone. Did all that he needed to do well, as well be nice and positive on a couple of occasions, especially when Che could only head up instead of out and he came charging out to claim the ball on the edge of the box. Tilly was right when he said earlier this year that if he was 6ft 2 he'd be playing in the Prem.

Jupp 7: What the hell was he thinking at the end when he tried to spin round Sabin? Lucky that Sabin made an absolute meal of the tussle. Solid enough until then.

Prior 7: Typical Prior. Solid one moment, kamikaze the next. Flashes of the Luton game when he got robbed on the right, but thank goodness it wasn't punished again.

Barrett 7.5: Great again. I imagine his performances in front of the cameras this week have put him in the notebooks of various managers around the country.

Wilson 8: Superb. Several last ditch and well timed tackles followed up by a decent all round defensive display. How much different a few months make? It was only in October that Low gave him a torrid time and it was Cardiff and Bullock all over again.

Pettefer 6.5: The same old same old really. Only once knocked it past his man to get to the by-line, which he actually did very well to do. Needs to do more of it though.

Maher 7.5: The calming influence. Got the ball down well had much more space and time than he did in the first leg.

Bentley 7.5: What an important signing he has been. So much drive, energy and determination. Good performance, although he should try and cut down on the sort of challenges that got him his booking.

Nicolau 8: Great performance, although the final ball was lacking more often than not. Superb determination and effort to the cause though. After missing out completely in Cardiff last month, he'll surely now start this time around.

Eastwood 6.5: Other than the goal, he didn't really have an impact and he looked jaded. Couldn't keep his feet and was summed up when Tilson screamed "I told him those f*cking boots were useless!". His touch let him down on many occasions which is very unlike him.

Dudfield 6.5: Lots of effort but he caused no real danger. Could be (well to some anyway) a surprise name on the released list IMO.

Subs:

Gray 6: Didn't get into the game and his recent performances were summed up when after setting up Freddy for that penalty appeal, instead of getting straight back up, he laid on his back whilst the game was going on up the other end.

Guttridge 6: Added some good energy for stoppage time.

One disappointment for the day for me was the crowd size though. Although I thought it was a great atmosphere, I would've perhaps expected us to break the 10,000 barrier, especially with 1,900 away fans.  
rock.gif

regarding the crowd size, I think the FA Cup final combined with our game being on Sky anyway put paid to a percentage of the floating fans that made it a full house against Yeovil.

Back