• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News A question for YOU.

Hey Guys

I have a question that I'd love you to answer.

Below are a number of words that fans use to describe important qualities that they like to see in their club and team.

Rate them from 1(no thanks ) to 10 ( vital) please!

Just copy and paste my list and put a number next to each one!

Thank you! ?

Homegrown talent - 8 - for a small club like ourselves bringing through our own is a vital way of saving and also making money
Over 30's - 6 - You need experience in the side to help the younger players coming through and to instill game management at times, but you do not need a team of over 30’s (not that we do have that).
Take player risk to sell at £ ( Collymore to Forest) - 7 - if the money is right then small clubs have to do that, thats why bringing thorough home grown talent is vital.
Loyalty - 8 - Strangely I found this one tough to grade, do we mean loyalty as spending all the career at one club, bleeding for the club while here, being loyal to team mates etc.... Overall it is important but players also have a clear to look after and it can be a short one, so loyalty to a football club (Like Ryan Giggs playing career) is very fee and far between. However loyalty whilst at the club, to team mates etc is vital while your playing for that club
Durability (plays lots of minutes) - 8 - you never want a player whi is on the injury table a lot no matter how talented they are, you need them on the pitch.
Loanee - 6 - We all know you can get good loan players but they can be a hinderence as well. Depending on how many you have you could be replacing half a first team each season and that isn't good for continuity. Having said that they are a less expensive way than signing some players permanently and smaller teams will always look to them. 1 or 2 a season is ok in my mind.
Contracted - 7 - Having contracted players is a must, and not having them all end at the same time. By having only a handful expiring year in year means you can manage and finance better and limit player turnover rather than having 12-16 players every season, again no continuity. I know its hard for smaller clubs to do this but it is a good way to go if you can. One year deals I understand but maybe get an optioni n there or persuade them to go for a 2 rather than just doing one year deals.
Comes with baggage - 4 - depends on the baggage. There are some talented players that may need a little help do we not sign if we know they can do a good job? I am always for a 2nd (maybe 3rd at times) chance. However the contract needs to be in the clubs favour and can be terminated at a single step out of line, a line that is clear at the start for both club and player.
Players living in area - 6 - If a player can be n time driving to training, for home games, for coaches to away games then I do not see an issue. I think it was Roy Keane when at Ipswich insisted on players being 30 minutes from the training ground, that didnt work out well. Just make the rules clear when they sign so they know and they can live anywhere.
Attractive football - 7 - we all like the game played the right way but there are times when you cannot do this. Also league you in sometimes can dictate how you play. So while it is nice, sometimes you have to adapt and that is down to the coach.
Pragmatic football - 7 - I think you always have to be pragmatic in football, some times things go your way and sometimes not, and that is both on and off the pitch,
Southend United DNA ( embracing ex players across roles in future) - 7 - sometimes this can be played up too much, it is important to have a DNA for sure, but that can come from the club and doesnt always have to be ex players / coaches. it is nice to have a few door sure as that helps but it that doesnt mean we have to be rigid as sometimes it just doesn't work out with people in certain roles.
Club reputation in the game - 8 - a good reputation both on and off the pitch is good to have as it can attract players but also help within the community and in the broader game generally.
Relationships with Essex Non League clubs - 6 - do not see this as vital, its an ok thing to have but it wouldn't be in my top 5 or so important things.
Competitive ticket pricing - 9 - it all comes down to value for money, ST’s should always be at a fair discount to game day tickets for sure and game day tickets should be very competitive. If we do not have a fair discount there is no point on buying an ST and then clubs cannot get income ahead of the season for those. SO a vital cog for both fans and club
North Bank for home fans - 5 - I like the set up now, dont see much need for change. I do think we should when the case arrives get the north stand open more and get home fame sin there with away fans in the corner or segregated a little. Give the away fans the minimum we need to if we can sell all of ours (maybe thats not right now but in time we should be doing this)
Regular information from Chairman - 7 - I would say from the club and i think keeping the fans up to date in a clear way is vital. I do not subscribe to needing to know the business ins and outs, however clear communication with the fans is the way forward.
Sustainability - 8 - something all clubs should strive to be, ut in the lower leagues that will be hard to do for some time. this doesn't mean we shouldn’t try to get there we most certainly should.
Stability - 8 - every club needs stability both playing staff wise, coaching staff wise and financially. A high turn over of players doesn't give you that, a high Tuen over of managers doesn't give you that (I think since PB left the first time we have had 8 maybe 9 managers in 4.5 years). Stability can bring reward and then you can try to aim for long term financial stability and sustainability.
Honesty - 9 - this goes for players, coaches and the club as a whole. Honesty is a paramount thing in life.

List is just to get an idea of what has gone and what could come, which will be driven in the club and by engaging with you guys. All part of an exercise to find a common direction that club and supporters can get behind.

Feel free to add any of your own, it's not scientific, more finding out initially what is important to you and what's not so much. It's your club!
HI Stan,

I have put my values with some comments. Thanks for getting involved let’s hope for change and better times.

Homegrown talent - 7
Over 30's - 5
Take player risk to sell at £ (Collymore to Forest) - 7
Loyalty - 9
Durability (plays lots of minutes) - 8
Loanee - 5
Contracted - 8
Comes with baggage - 5
Players living in area - 8
Attractive football - 6
Pragmatic football - 6
Southend United DNA (embracing ex players across roles in future) - 7
Club reputation in the game - 9
Relationships with Essex Non League clubs - 8
Competitive ticket pricing - 8
North Bank for home fans - 6
Regular information from Chairman - 6
Sustainability - 10
Stability - 10
Honesty - 10

Homegrown talent - 7
Over 30's - 7 (as long as it complies with Durability)
Take player risk to sell at £ (Collymore to Forest) - 6
Loyalty - 7 (realistic - sadly there is very little loyalty these days)
Loanee - 5-7 (really depends on the reasoning for the loan eg loan to buy option, to allow maintaining budget ect))
Contracted - 8
Comes with baggage - 5
Players living in area - 8 (may assist with 'buying' into the club ethos)
Attractive football - 5 (we just need to get back into the league by whatever style at the moment)
Pragmatic football - 5 (see above)
Southend United DNA (embracing ex players across roles in future) - 8 (need to start developing club identity and recognizing its history)
Club reputation in the game - 8 (needs drastic improvement but its not the be all end all)
Relationships with Essex Non League clubs - 8 (again connection with local community)
Competitive ticket pricing - 7 (if you sort all these issues the fans will come)
North Bank for home fans - 5
Sustainability - 9 (again realistic in that not many clubs are fully sustainable at any level)
Stability - 8
Honesty - 8 (depends in what realms you are looking for honesty)

Homegrown talent 8
Over 30's 3
Take player risk to sell at £ ( Collymore to Forest) 5
Loyalty 8
Durability (plays lots of minutes) 7
Loanee 2
Contracted 5
Comes with baggage 5
Players living in area 5
Attractive football 7
Pragmatic football 9
Southend United DNA ( embracing ex players across roles in future) 8
Club reputation in the game 10
Relationships with Essex Non League clubs 9
Competitive ticket pricing 10
North Bank for home fans 2
Regular information from Chairman 9
Sustainability 10
Stability 10
Honesty 10

Homegrown talent 7
Over 30's 5
Take player risk to sell at £ ( Collymore to Forest) 7
Loyalty 6
Durability (plays lots of minutes) 10
Loanee 6
Contracted 8
Comes with baggage 4
Players living in area 5
Attractive football 8
Pragmatic football 8
Southend United DNA ( embracing ex players across roles in future) 7
Club reputation in the game 9
Relationships with Essex Non League clubs 6
Competitive ticket pricing 10
North Bank for home fans 3
Regular information from Chairman 10
Sustainability 10
Stability 10
Honesty 10

Last edited:
Stan,

I was on the North Bank for your debut, great to see your concern for our club.

Thanks

Homegrown talent - 8
Over 30's - 5
Take player risk to sell at £ ( Collymore to Forest) - 7
Loyalty - 9
Loanee - 6
Contracted - 7
Comes with baggage - 4
Players living in area - 7
Attractive football - 5
Pragmatic football - 9
Southend United DNA ( embracing ex players across roles in future) - 10
Club reputation in the game - 10
Relationships with Essex Non League clubs - 9
Competitive ticket pricing - 5
North Bank for home fans - 3
Regular information from Chairman - 5
Sustainability - 10
Stability - 10
Honesty - 9

The only other issue I would add is CEO/Head of Football; move away from football decisions being made by a property developer.

Homegrown talent - 8
Over 30's - 3
Loyalty - 10
Durability (plays lots of minutes) - 9
Loanee - 5
Contracted - 8
Comes with baggage - 3
Players living in area - 5
Attractive football - 9
Pragmatic football - 9
Sustainability - 10
Stability - 10
Honesty - 10

Homegrown talent 10
Over 30's 2
Take player risk to sell at £ ( Collymore to Forest) 10
Loyalty 6
Durability (plays lots of minutes) 8
Loanee 2
Contracted 9
Comes with baggage 3
Players living in area 7
Attractive football 8
Pragmatic football 6
Southend United DNA ( embracing ex players across roles in future) 5
Club reputation in the game 7
Competitive ticket pricing 5
North Bank for home fans 6
Regular information from Chairman 7
Sustainability 10
Stability 7
Honesty 7

Homegrown talent 9
Over 30's 4
Take player risk to sell at £ ( Collymore to Forest) 9
Loyalty 3
Durability (plays lots of minutes) 7
Loanee 4
Contracted 8
Comes with baggage 4
Players living in area 4
Attractive football 7
Pragmatic football 4
Southend United DNA ( embracing ex players across roles in future) 6
Club reputation in the game 7
Competitive ticket pricing 7
North Bank for home fans 2
Regular information from Chairman 6
Sustainability 10
Stability 8
Honesty 8

Homegrown talent - 7

Over 30's - 4 (need experience players who have a level of the performance and set an example, but not like histortic when we have had old players at end of injury plagued career)

Take player risk to sell at £ (Collymore to Forest) - 7

Loyalty - 8

Durability (far too many injuries over last couple of seasons) - 8

Loanee - 5 (need quality)

Contracted - 7

Comes with baggage - 3

Players living in area - 8 - need to be dedicated to the cause

Attractive football - 7

Pragmatic football - 6

Southend United DNA (embracing ex players across roles in future) - 8

Relationships with Essex Non League clubs - 10 ( hundreds of players and clubs to tap into)

Competitive ticket pricing - 7

North Bank for home fans - 4

Regular information from Chairman - 7

Sustainability - 10

Stability - 10

Honesty - 10

Thankyou Stan for the hardwork you are putting in for SUFC

Hey Guys

I have a question that I'd love you to answer.

Below are a number of words that fans use to describe important qualities that they like to see in their club and team.

Rate them from 1(no thanks ) to 10 ( vital) please!

Just copy and paste my list and put a number next to each one!

Thank you! ?

Homegrown talent 8
Over 30's 4
Take player risk to sell at £ ( Collymore to Forest) 7
Loyalty 7
Durability (plays lots of minutes) 8
Loanee 7
Contracted 8
Comes with baggage 6
Players living in area 7
Attractive football 7
Pragmatic football 7
Club reputation in the game 10
Competitive ticket pricing 9
North Bank for home fans 1
Regular information from Chairman 8
Sustainability 10
Stability 10
Honesty 10
Professional managerial conduct (no public scapegoating of players and favouritism, which destroys team morale) 10

List is just to get an idea of what has gone and what could come, which will be driven in the club and by engaging with you guys. All part of an exercise to find a common direction that club and supporters can get behind.

Feel free to add any of your own, it's not scientific, more finding out initially what is important to you and what's not so much. It's your club!

Thanks for Stan your terrific input at the tail end of what has been a demoralising season for Southend supporters near and far (I live and work in New Zealand!).

Homegrown talent - 7
Over 30's - 7 (providing fitness is not an issue)
Take player risk to sell at £ ( Collymore to Forest) - 9 (must have adequate replacement)
Loyalty - 10
Durability (plays lots of minutes) - 10
Loanee - 7 (emergency only)
Contracted - 10
Comes with baggage - 1
Players living in area - 10 (condition of signing)
Attractive football - 8 (preferable, but not always possible at this level)
Pragmatic football - 6 (not pretty, but needs must in some games)
Southend United DNA ( embracing ex players across roles in future) - 7 (doesn't always work)
Relationships with Essex Non League clubs - 10
Competitive ticket pricing - 10
North Bank for home fans - 10 (it's our home and we can join in with Blue Voice in the West)
Regular information from Chairman - 10 (information only, not opinion)
Sustainability - 10
Stability - 10
Honesty - 10

I find the loyalty question a bit leading, and I'm surprised at the amount of 10s I'm seeing.

I want my players to be ambitious. We're not even in the football league now, so I want to bring through young and talented players and if we can't get promoted with them, then I want to sell them to enable us to become more sustainable financially. A key way to sign young and talented players is to show them the players in the PL/SPL/Championship who broke into our first team and then progressed to much bigger things.

Loyalty can sometime lead to factions and infighting, there's a balance to be had. Plus players who are comfortable and happy sometimes can be a bit stale and happy at a 6/10 type level, especially towards the end of their career where options are drying up.

The days of 'one club players' are long gone, we need to bring in players like Humphrys, Kelman, or Hutchinson and develop them and sell them for £££. None of them were necessarily 'loyal', but their performances on the pitch and the money they bring in for us is exactly the type of model we need to follow.

Morning Stan .. see below.

Homegrown talent - 8
Over 30's - 6
Take player risk to sell at £ ( Collymore to Forest) - 8
Loyalty - 5
Loanee - 4
Contracted - 6
Comes with baggage - 1
Players living in area - 4
Attractive football - 6
Pragmatic football - 8
Southend United DNA ( embracing ex players across roles in future) - 6
Club reputation in the game - 8
Competitive ticket pricing - 5
North Bank for home fans - 4
Regular information from Chairman - 7
Sustainability - 10
Stability - 10
Honesty - 10

Edited to add … Hunger/Desire - 10

Last edited:
Homegrown talent - 8
Over 30's - 5
Loyalty - 5
Durability (plays lots of minutes) - 7
Loanee - 5
Contracted - 8
Comes with baggage - 1
Players living in area - 5
Attractive football - 8
Pragmatic football - 5
Southend United DNA ( embracing ex players across roles in future) - 6
Relationships with Essex Non League clubs - 7
Competitive ticket pricing - 10
North Bank for home fans - 8
Regular information from Chairman - 5
Sustainability - 10
Stability - 10
Honesty - 10

The homegrown talent feeds into the selling players piece for me, although I understand that could also mean signing from lower leagues too. For example, I really like Elvis, but it makes sense for the club to sell him if a decent offer is made as there are youngsters that can play in his position at the club already which show promise. This feeds into the sustainability and stability piece and should allow the club to run within its means (in theory)

Outside of that, I want a club that is respected because of the way it plays football, treats people (fans/players/staff/opposition) and the style of football attempted (accepting that this may vary depending on players available at the time)

I find the loyalty question a bit leading, and I'm surprised at the amount of 10s I'm seeing.

I want my players to be ambitious. We're not even in the football league now, so I want to bring through young and talented players and if we can't get promoted with them, then I want to sell them to enable us to become more sustainable financially. A key way to sign young and talented players is to show them the players in the PL/SPL/Championship who broke into our first team and then progressed to much bigger things.

Loyalty can sometime lead to factions and infighting, there's a balance to be had. Plus players who are comfortable and happy sometimes can be a bit stale and happy at a 6/10 type level, especially towards the end of their career where options are drying up.

The days of 'one club players' are long gone, we need to bring in players like Humphrys, Kelman, or Hutchinson and develop them and sell them for £££. None of them were necessarily 'loyal', but their performances on the pitch and the money they bring in for us is exactly the type of model we need to follow.
I see where you’re coming from. To me I don’t care how loyal players are or whether they live close by I want them to be fit, able to play 90 mins and fight for the shirt. We need to stop signing players past their prime and loanees who are afraid to get stuck in and target players who we can make a profit on which means hungry, ambitious. Alongside this keep developing the academy. I also don’t care how we play initially I just want us to develop a winning mentality.

I think it’s important that the club communicate with the fans but I’m more interested in us repairing our reputation in the game and in success on the pitch than numerous Ron updates.

Homegrown talent - 10
Over 30's - 5
Loyalty - 7
Loanee - 5
Contracted - 8
Comes with baggage - 3
Players living in area - 6
Attractive football - 6
Pragmatic football - 8
Relationships with Essex Non League clubs - 10
Regular information from Chairman - 9
Sustainability - 10
Stability - 10
Honesty - 10

Homegrown talent - 8
Over 30's - 5
Take player risk to sell at £ ( Collymore to Forest) - 6
Loyalty - 4
Loanee - 5
Contracted - 8
Comes with baggage - 4
Players living in area - 7
Attractive football - 7
Pragmatic football - 7
Southend United DNA ( embracing ex players across roles in future) - 8
Relationships with Essex Non League clubs - 7
Competitive ticket pricing - 6
North Bank for home fans - 1
Regular information from Chairman - 8
Sustainability - 10
Stability - 10
Honesty - 8

Homegrown talent 8
Over 30's 6
Take player risk to sell at £ ( Collymore to Forest) 8
Loyalty 10
Durability (8plays lots of minutes) 9(
Loanee 3
Contracted 10
Comes with baggage 5
Players living in area 10
Attractive football 8
Pragmatic football 10
Club reputation in the game 8
Relationships with Essex Non League club 9
Competitive ticket pricing 9
North Bank for home fans 10
Regular information from Chairman 10
Sustainability 10
Stability 10
Honesty 10

The most important question isn't on there.

A new stadium

Without that you cant have any Sustainability, Stability or Competitive ticket pricing etc. If you don't want it i hope you put zero for Honesty.

Back