• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jedi Shrimper

formerly Drastic™
Just over a week ago, prior to the Scotland trip we SZ was euphoric, Harris, N'Diaye & Johnson were in, Ricketts was on his way and we were going to smash lg2 to bits.

10 days on and it seems we've had a major reality check. Two below par performances in Scotland, The non-event of RR, the possible loss of Grant/Kane, N'Diaye being so rubbish he's been called in to see teacher.

Where do we stand now? Are you still looking at those top 3 places or have your expectations been dampened?

Nothing has changed for me.

I still see anything less than a play-off push, a failure.

No need to panic. We have a decent squad. A strong starting XI and they have been together a while now. We will bring in the additional players we need, when they become available i'm sure.

N'Dire aside, nothing's really changed for me. I think this season will see us finishing in 10th place. We'll smash some teams to pieces, but I think we're going to also end up on the receiving end of some hidings. At points on Friday we looked like the Keystone Kops with our defending and this may end up being our ultimate undoing. Even if we lose Granty I think we'll probably have one of the strongest midfields in L2, attack wise, on our day we have probably got a front two who wouldn't look out of place top half of L1, defence wise, well, it just looks a bit jittery, thank heavens CB is a shining light though who was solid and held it together. What I'd give for Coughlan to be 5 years younger, then we'd be fine.

Nope!

Always maintained during the RR saga, that whatever the outcome we still need to be upbeat as we were very excited pre RR with the signings that were made.

Since then;

SCOTLAND: Results (for me) are totally insignificant. The real reason for the trip was fitness but more importantly, bonding - which is what PS always said was vital. From what you hear about the dressing room, the lads all took a lot from the trip and are 'happy' which too me, is job done. Yea the results werent ideal, but the trip was a success in my eyes.

IPSWICH: Drew 1-1 with a good championship side who played their best players. For me, thats a massive positive. As is having the chance to look at Kalala, and give Ndiaye a kick up the *** - better now than in August. Harris scoring on his home debut was a nice bonus.

GRANT: Not ideal, but if he is going to go (and surely we all know that sooner or later he is on to bigger things), then best to lose him now still with a decent bit of time before the season kicks off and get Kalala bedded in (just see CP tweeted that deal should be done today). Also, best to get some money for him now, than have him walk away in May for nowt.

All things considered, I'm still very hopeful that once everyone settles down, we'll tear this league up! :) :happy:

I still think we'll do well, but I was interested to see how others felt. It does seem like the rampant confidence of a week or so ago has been dampened a bit though.

Personally I don't see why we'll receive any tonking's this season, as we didn't last season and we haven't changed the defence at all.

I'm very excited for this new season, not least because I can afford to go to more games this year, starting with the season opener! :happy:

I'm really looking forward to this season. I thought we played really well at times on friday and am still very hopeful of promotion

I think those that said we will smash this league up, and be promoted no problem, were speaking slightly tough in cheek,maybe. This imo is a tough div this year, and if we can make it into the playoffs we will have done very well indeed. For me i reckon we will creep into playoffs just.

It's worth mentioning that a lot of other sides in L2 have strengthened, so I'm beginning to doubt we'll make inroads (relatively speaking) with the signings we've made, but I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Nothing changed for me, even though N'diaye didn't look great. It's still harsh to judge him so early in my opinion! I don't know what everyone expected from him?

Nothing has changed for me.

I still see anything less than a play-off push, a failure.

No need to panic. We have a decent squad. A strong starting XI and they have been together a while now. We will bring in the additional players we need, when they become available i'm sure.

I was about to post exactly the same, thanks for saving me the time Smiffy......

:winking:

I still think we'll do well, but I was interested to see how others felt. It does seem like the rampant confidence of a week or so ago has been dampened a bit though.

Personally I don't see why we'll receive any tonking's this season, as we didn't last season and we haven't changed the defence at all.

I'm very excited for this new season, not least because I can afford to go to more games this year, starting with the season opener! :happy:

Agree 100%.

I think the play-offs are a very reasonable aim. However, be very ambitious of us to be thinking top three at the moment. Aim for the play-offs, and see what happens. It's all about the team gelling together, building up some momentum, getting a bit of luck along the way, and keeping key players fit.

If that happens, who knows the League Two title could just come our way in May...

Back