• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Academic statements of purpose/intent

markw

Manager⭐
I'm currently having to write one of these and it is definitely the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

Anyone on here every written one and can give me any pointers?

all i've been given by the uni is 'about a page'

can only find for a personal statement as in undergrad, should have probably stated that this is for a masters

what are you looking to apply to do? I'm a lecturer and research at a uni, and mainly teach post-grad, so i'm used to seeing lots of admissions statements.

the basic rule is a simple equation:

where you are now, where you want to be, why the MSc is essential to help you get to where you want to be.

try to focus on those three sections:

1. highlight your skills, undergrad, related information
2. your enthusiasm for future career in what area. evidence that you have been building to this moment (specific modules you might have studied, work experience etc).
3. why you want to study such a good course at such as great uni, specific modules or elements that really appeal to you. other things you might bring to the uni (sports, societies etc). try to make contact with the course director, and then put that in your personal statement.

if you're doing a more research based MSc, then talk about potential research ideas (briefly), and how you've come up with them.

Other advice is as usual, big up your academic abilities because they need to know you're good enough to pass the course. They'll have your overall grades but it's good to break these down into key modules (if true, say about how you never re-sat an exam or failed a module, what stats packages you can use, etc). Proof read for spelling and grammar, avoid it being waffly. make sure it's both personal and friendly, but also clear and succinct. nothing worse when you ask for a page and you either get 3 pages, or 1 page with barely any content. you can get a lot of info into 1 page, to help you really sell yourself.

With any selection process you need to distinguish yourself above the other candidates.

Find out who is in charge of the selection process and greet them with a firm masonic handshake and the offer if a quick 18 at your club. You can seal the deal over brandies and cigars at the 19th.

This was exactly how I landed my previous role as director of women's services at Tower Hamlets council.

With any selection process you need to distinguish yourself above the other candidates.

Find out who is in charge of the selection process and greet them with a firm masonic handshake and the offer if a quick 18 at your club. You can seal the deal over brandies and cigars at the 19th.

This was exactly how I landed my previous role as director of women's services at Tower Hamlets council.

advice noted :smile:

Back