• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Academy being closed down

Not heard anything but it would cut some costs and wasn't that the plan to follow the Brentford model of a B team instead.

Correct, the academy is going this summer due to funding ending

Bang goes the dream we were sold about a soccer dome with a youth academy to breed the next crop of young players

Seems likely with just an U18/U19 team to remain and compete in the NL U19 Alliance League.
Such a waste. I coach a youth team and see lots of very talented kids in the area. Most are now getting picked up by Col U, Concord, Billericay etc

Highly likely. He couldn't afford to run it last season even with grant money coming in for the first half of it.

When the club put an article out about open trials for the academy it said they were not looking at players from U9 - U16. I'd assume they would be downsizing at a minimum.

I would of thought shrimper trust might know something about this as dont they help with the support of these sides down the years or has that come to a standstill after RM kept the 40k loan lent by them.

Be surprised if it was to stay considering we have to cut costs without the funding. Take a bow Ron.

Was speaking the father of one of the players in one of the current younger squads over the weekend. He mentioned that his son was cutting ties with Southend and was now probably going to an academy in East London.
The kicker was that he'd been told that next season they would be unable to guarantee regular fixtures every week and also that that level coach was going; he read the writing on the wall and the decision was a no-brainer.
His son is a free scoring creative midfielder with a really good tally of goals and assists and, while he and his father under no illusions about the attrition rate in junior football, would be just the sort of player I'd be really happy to see in our midfield in ten years time...

The days of the Blue Voice being able to sing, 'He's one of our own!' are looking to be very limited in future. :Unsure:😞

Sensible business decision given where we are currently - cut everything that’s non essential.

Apart from the community side of things, I can’t see there is much point in a club like Southend having an academy these days. If we get a player who is even half decent, a club three rungs up the ladder will pinch him before we get any use out of him. That’s the way money works in the game these days.

Sensible business decision given where we are currently - cut everything that’s non essential.

Apart from the community side of things, I can’t see there is much point in a club like Southend having an academy these days. If we get a player who is even half decent, a club three rungs up the ladder will pinch him before we get any use out of him. That’s the way money works in the game these days.
The academy should have been one of the major selling points for any purchaser and now it’s being dismantled weeks before a prospective takeover.

It’ll take more than a decade to rebuild what has been lost these last few months.

Back