• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

But we did not win the last two games or countless other games at key stages under PB. It's always a case of flatter to deceive.

You're missing the point though. We're not far off where we want to be at all. Take a look at Hartlepool, Cheltenham, Carlisle, Tranmere and Portsmouth, five teams who are hugely underperforming and should be at the other end of the table - if we were in their position I'd be agreeing with everything you've just. But we're not. We're in the playoffs and knocking on the door for the autos. We have no divine right to promotion, we're a League 2 team. If we were anything other, we wouldn't have spent the last God knows how many seasons in this league.

I'm not Phil's biggest fan and don't always agree with his team selections/tactics/substitutions etc. but if he was clueless then we wouldn't be where we are.

Spot on. I think that's what has caused the trust and patience of a few of us to finally break. I just get this feeling that under PB we will never quite get where we want to be. So many times we've just needed one more win to climb into the top three, only to lose to a team we should be beating handsomely.

I don't dislike PB in the slightest, but simply believe that by AB taking over now.....that will give us the best chance of achieving promotion.

What do you base this opinion on? Giving Barrett the job now would be a complete and utter gamble that could go either way. As for it giving us the best chance of promotion, that's pure speculation seeing as no one knows anything about any of his managerial credentials, style of play, man management or if he would even want the job. From what I can see, there's barely anything you can use to support your view that it would give us the best chance of promotion. It's a pure gamble and one that we'd be barking mad to take at this point in the season, considering where we are in the league.

Brown is the only Southend manager that I know of who managed to get the whole crowd chanting 'you don't Know what your doing' at him at RH.... Says it all really.

Perhaps some more of that will give him and the chairman the message!!

I think Phil Brown can get us back on track very shortly. One thing, however, that is undermining his reign is apparent favouritism with respect to player selection. Thompson and Timlin now seems to be getting the same treatment as Conor Clifford while Ryan Leonard seems to be a permanent fixture in the side irrespective of how he plays. There is nothing more demoralising for team morale when this sort of thing happens. At the same time, many former Southend managers have had the same weakness - a lack of professional detachment.

If the Chairman decided Phil was not the man to guide us during the business end of this season, he could do far worse than hire Paul Clark as manager until the end of the season. Clark did very well as player manager in his previous spell, he is a shrewd analyst of the game, has got a bit of steel, and loves Southend.

What do you base this opinion on? Giving Barrett the job now would be a complete and utter gamble that could go either way. As for it giving us the best chance of promotion, that's pure speculation seeing as no one knows anything about any of his managerial credentials, style of play, man management or if he would even want the job. From what I can see, there's barely anything you can use to support your view that it would give us the best chance of promotion. It's a pure gamble and one that we'd be barking mad to take at this point in the season, considering where we are in the league.

I base my opinion on my knowledge of Barrett's ability to organise and ensure that those players around him give blood, sweat and tears to the cause.
His appointment would unite the club and the town. Roots Hall would be a completely different place for our players to play their football.

After 2 years of trying PB still hasn't managed to get us playing with any sort of confidence or conviction at Roots Hall and ultimately that's going to cost us automatic promotion again. There's only so long you can accept the type of entertainment that has been served up at Roots Hall. Personally, I think we've reached that point and many others on the zone seem to feel the same.

It would be a gamble no doubt about it, but a calculated one that would be met favourably by the majority of supporters.

it wasn't out of nowhere, he worked for years and years to get to where he is now, he didn't just wake up one day and get the manager's job

Yes, but my point being that it was still a big risk appointing him at that stage of the season when he had no previous managerial experience. Appointing Barrett would be far less of a gamble given his connections to the club.

Yes, but my point being that it was still a big risk appointing him at that stage of the season when he had no previous managerial experience. Appointing Barrett would be far less of a gamble given his connections to the club.

having a connection with a club doesn't make someone have any more managerial ability though. passion will only get you so far as Stuart Pearce has found out.

yes, every appointment is a risk, but to appoint a manager because they are passionate and are/were a good player isn't enough

I base my opinion on my knowledge of Barrett's ability to organise and ensure that those players around him give blood, sweat and tears to the cause.
His appointment would unite the club and the town. Roots Hall would be a completely different place for our players to play their football.

After 2 years of trying PB still hasn't managed to get us playing with any sort of confidence or conviction at Roots Hall and ultimately that's going to cost us automatic promotion again. There's only so long you can accept the type of entertainment that has been served up at Roots Hall. Personally, I think we've reached that point and many others on the zone seem to feel the same.

It would be a gamble no doubt about it, but a calculated one that would be met favourably by the majority of supporters.

I see what you're saying, but there's no evidence to suggest that he could do that with this group of players. He was a vital cog in the successive promotion winning team and a great captain, but he's not playing with any of the players he played with previously (except Barnard, who's been frozen out). This dressing room could be, and probably is a totally different kettle of fish. With a young squad with some big characters, we might need a real disciplinarian to take the reigns, which I definitley don't think is Barrett.

He's a potential future manager for sure and it's all well and good uniting the town, but if he doesn't do the business then it won't get us far. I think we'd be doing him a disservice to throw him in now with no experience, given the obviously high expectations and fickle nature of a large number of our fans. Let's wait for this season to finish, get him bedded into the back room team as a coach/assistant etc. and give him time to do his coaching badges and get the qualifications and experience. If we just throw him in now and it's a disaster, we're doing his future career as a manager absolutely no favours.

having a connection with a club doesn't make someone have any more managerial ability though. passion will only get you so far as Stuart Pearce has found out.

yes, every appointment is a risk, but to appoint a manager because they are passionate and are/were a good player isn't enough

My belief that Barrett is the right man to lead us forward is far more than just the fact that he is a passionate ex player. My previous posts cover all of these.

First of all nearly everyone was happy as we were climbing the table. And yes I know there are some that will never be happy.
Secondly, he was unlucky. The plan was to get Elliot Lee up front with Joe Pigott. That could have been some strikeforce.

In my view it's very simple. If we don't win promotion this season then I would imagine there's a good chance Brown will be out the door. He will have had two full seasons to get this club back into L1, and this season in particular Martin has backed him strongly in a financial sense in terms of player recruitment. There can't be a club in the division with more strength in depth than Southend United, it's PB's responsibility to get this club promoted.

Does he deserve to be sacked? No, he deserves til at least the end of the season. Huge over-reaction to the 2 defeats on here, we're still in a great position and if we end up in the play-offs then the experience of last year should help this time around. Give the guy every chance to get the job done, if he doesn't then I would imagine many of you will get your wish.

Bottom line is we are Southend UNITED and we as supporters also have a responsibility to help our boys over the line so get behind the lads!

Secondly, he was unlucky. The plan was to get Elliot Lee up front with Joe Pigott. That could have been some strikeforce.
That certainly could have been some strikeforce and one I would have liked to see. However according to certain posters on here it wouldn't be as good as the strikeforce we currently have of Pigott and Cassidy. :winking:

I still believe we should back Phil Brown, at least until the end of the season. If we fail to go up then RM should review things. If we fail as a result of the play offs again it might be prudent to give PB a final year dependent on his contract. Anything less and I feel a change is inevitable. If we do change in the next season or two a gamble on Adam Barrett or Paul Clark or both due to their history with us would be preferable to ano outsider no matter what the CV.

Would Barrett do a better job- I have no idea.

However I do feel very strongly though that when you take into account the players we have and the backing Brown has been given he hasn't really done anything special- both in terms of our league position and in terms of the quality of football being played at home ( I dont go away so cant comment on away games) Yes we are 5th, yes we did have a good run in terms of being unbeaten (in terms of points it wasn't quite as good) but given the resources surely this is what he should be achieving ?

Back