• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

After 25 league games last season...

Reg Martin

No Relation
....we had 34 points and reached the play-offs.
After 25 league games so far this season we have 31 points.
I'm not saying we will reach the play-offs this season (but then I didn't think we would this time last year) but it does show that maybe our current position is not quite the pit of doom-and-gloom some on here would have us believe.

I've found the Zone a depressing place in recent days, so much anger from some people who talk as though their divine right to support a successful football team is being denied.

Our season in the league has been a big disappointment so far after reaching the play-offs last year and we certainly need a bit of extra creativity in midfield but we've also had some shocking luck with injuries.

And there are bright spots if you want to see them - team spirit seems good if the number of late goals is any indicator, we have a very young squad and we're starting to see our own youth players break into the first team.

I suppose it all comes down to that debate we've had on here so many times before about what a supporter is - is it someone who gets on the players backs if things aren't going well or is it someone who gets behind the team even when they're struggling?

....we had 34 points and reached the play-offs.
After 25 league games so far this season we have 31 points.
I'm not saying we will reach the play-offs this season (but then I didn't think we would this time last year) but it does show that maybe our current position is not quite the pit of doom-and-gloom some on here would have us believe.

That's actually quite interesting and gives the optimists like myself hope. However, the real question isn't how many points have we got compared to last season. What we should be looking at is the difference between us and the lowest play off place compared to last season.

I have no idea if that makes things better or worse. I just think it would be more relevant...

Yes, we may have only 3 points fewer than we did at this time last season. The major difference is that last season we had a lot more quality in the squad, and a settled team.
Flahavan, Francis, Mulgrew, Clarke, Barrett, Black, Bailey, McCormack, Gower, Barnard, Walker was our first eleven, with Robson-Kanu and Moussa making a few appearances.

There is no likelyhood of us having a settled team with the amount of injuries we have. I'll be glad with a safe mid-table finish this season.

icon1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC51DAS
Last year we were only 4 points behind the play-off places at moreorless the same stage of the season.

Had a chance to check this now. Last year after our 24th match ( 0-1 home defeat by Boristol Rovers ) we were on 33 points , 4 points behind 6th placed Walsall. After our 25th match ( 1-1 draw with Yeovil ) we had 34 points and were 6 points behing 6th placed Leeds.

As we all know, we are currently 14 points behind 6th placed Scunthorpe, albeit with a game in hand.

From a few days ago

I suppose it all comes down to that debate we've had on here so many times before about what a supporter is - is it someone who gets on the players backs if things aren't going well or is it someone who gets behind the team even when they're struggling?

I think at the end of the day, we all just want the club to be sucessful - whatever that means, winning trophies, reaching finals, even winning games.

Just because people have a moan, doesnt mean they dont care for the club - in my case, quite the opposite. I've had a lot of negative things to say recently, but at the end of the day, I've supported this nearly 25 years home and away and I absolutely love Southend United.

Like others, I get frustrated when the club I love doesnt do so well - and especially so when I feel (personal opinion) they could be done differently to improve things.

I'm not the sort of person that can smile and bang the drums blindly like others just because its expected of me as a great 'supporter'. I'll always give the team 100% support from the stands no matter what. No matter what I think of Tilly and Ron Martin as I have posted on here, I dont shout against them from the stands as it serves no purpose in helping the team.

I love to back underperforming players - case in point Revell. At the start of the season when he was under fire, I went to Millwall and said to my mate "I'm gonna back Revell 100% today" and I cheered virtually his every touch and encouraged him even when he did something wrong and I felt (silly in a way!) rewarded when he got the goal.

Ever since then, he has become my current favourite player and I encourage him all the time from the stands.

So dont think that just because some SZ posters are moaning and groaning that it doesnt mean they dont love the club as much as you!

We are united!!!

We had arguably the strongest midfield in the division though we just lacked decent strikers (Barney and Walker came in and turned our season around), whereas now I would argue we have one of the weakest and a bunch of crocked strikers.

Also to add some positivity, we have actually played 3 fewer games at home now. Given our away record, certainly a good thing.

Think people just get anxious about the position we are in, bottom half of the table closer to relegation than promotion. But not taking note of how tight the leagues are getting year in year out.

Yes, we may have only 3 points fewer than we did at this time last season. The major difference is that last season we had a lot more quality in the squad, and a settled team.
Flahavan, Francis, Mulgrew, Clarke, Barrett, Black, Bailey, McCormack, Gower, Barnard, Walker was our first eleven, with Robson-Kanu and Moussa making a few appearances.

There is no likelyhood of us having a settled team with the amount of injuries we have. I'll be glad with a safe mid-table finish this season.

I think its worth remembering that Mulgrew, Barnard, Walker and Robson-Kanu were all signed in the January transfer window.
We don't know yet who we're going to get in this year's window and I would say that with 3 or 4 good additions to our squad plus the same luck we had with injuries last year our squad would be as good as last year.
It seems to me that last year's team is now seen as a decent side with the benefit of hindsight after their good run in last few months of last season
If you go back to Jan and Feb last year before their good run exactly the same comments about lack of quality were being made about that team as are being made about current team.

Back