• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Album of the year...

hexagon_sun

Manager
"Return to the Sea" by Islands - if you like well crafted, inventive, slightly quirky indie then you need this album. It's a slice of modern, skewed-pop genius and is highly recommended to fans of Arcade Fire, Wolf Parade, Broken Social Scene, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah etc. I'm sure a few albums will run it close but this will be among the very best releases of 2006. Out on Rough Trade this April, don't miss it.

Its defintely not the Arctic Monkeys, take away the two singles its awful. I'm currently listening to a band called Wolfmother (cross manics/sabbath) album self titled. Quite enjoying it, got tickets for the Scala gig in March.

Other than that, check out Erlend Oye from Kings of Convienence (think the album was last year though).

Personally I really cant wait for the new offering from the Flaming Lips (At war with the mystics).

I can see many evenings in a comatose state with this belting out  

upside.gif

wow.gif

blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ulysses @ Jan. 31 2006,13:03)]I'm currently listening to a band called Wolfmother (cross manics/sabbath) album self titled.
Aye they are tops! Australia are enjoying an extended golden age in alternative music (Jet are still one of my favourite bands).

In the evenings I listen to 'Triple J' over the internet and its Australias version of XFM. Obviously being that time I listen to their morning show but its high quality high octane stuff.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (A loyal supporter @ Jan. 31 2006,13:18)](Jet are still one of my favourite bands).
I downloaded some Jet ages ago with aview to getting some of their stuff. they flood the firesharers with bogus songs that repeat and repeat one line. needless to say i was not impressed and have not afforded them the time or my money.

b@st@rds.

PS I downloaded artics...and bought the album ! this system does work.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (A loyal supporter @ Jan. 31 2006,13:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ulysses @ Jan. 31 2006,13:03)]I'm currently listening to a band called Wolfmother (cross manics/sabbath) album self titled.
Aye they are tops! Australia are enjoying an extended golden age in alternative music (Jet are still one of my favourite bands).

In the evenings I listen to 'Triple J' over the internet and its Australias version of XFM. Obviously being that time I listen to their morning show but its high quality high octane stuff.
Yeah triple j is pretty good at revealing local aussie talent, however 'needle in Haystack' comes to mind.

Quite an easy scene to break into as it's small and a following is easy to establish.
I think thats why there's very few big bands that come from here, as within a few gigs you can get a big following very quickly which seems to assuage the musicians ego to make them feel succesfull thus taking all effort to get any bigger.
Musicians here feel they have 'made it' very quickly indeed.

Covers bands are pretty big here as pubs pay amazing sums, a cruddy band can pick up $2,000 ( 850 quid ) for 2 hrs work.

Back