• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

All time 11 (86-date)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 06 2005,09:40)]
rock.gif
They played top flight before they Joined us.[/quote]
Keith Jones didn't!  We signed him from Brentford and sold him to Charlton...

cool.gif
[/QUOTE]
Of course.

I forgot that he played that high up for Charlton, it was the bit about leaving us because of his bad back meant he didn't like the daily drive which did it.....

Sammy

Austin
Powell
Barrett
Roget

Byrne (for talent rather than application)
Otto
Whelan
Marsh

Collymore
Angell/Fredy

can't work out the last place up-front, it should probably be Angell but the prospect of Stan and Fredy in tandem (if they could work out how to play together) is potentially so good to watch..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ June 06 2005,09:57)]Here's my post-September 85 XI:

Sansome

Austin
Prior
Barrett
Powell

Otto
Butler
Marsh
Gower

Collymore
Cadette

Eastwood and Angell are unlucky not to make this, but Cadette was my first hero when I started watching the team.

Gower on the other hand is lucky to get in, but on the strength of some fantastic goals, one of which won me a nice few quid, he's picked!
This good, but I would replace Cadette with Crown and Marsh with Bents!

tounge.gif

Subs bench; Flavs
Hunt
Tilson
Eastwood
Ansah

For me ('88-present):

GK - Simon ROYCE

RB - Lewis HUNT
LB - Chris POWELL
CB - Adam BARRETT
CB - Paul CLARK

RW - Andy ANSAH
LW - Ricky OTTO
CM - Mike MARSH
CM - Peter BUTLER

FW - Stan COLLYMORE
FW - Freddy EASTWOOD

Subs:

Paul SANSOME (GK), Spencer PRIOR, Dave MARTIN, Steve TILSON, Brett ANGELL

Special mention though for Mike Lapper who would have been in the side easily had it not been for that dreadful broken leg suffered when we won at Norwich on Boxing Day '95 (in the snow, remember?). Never the same after that but he COULD have gone on to become one of the greatest defenders we've ever had. Couldn't believe we'd signed a FULL international at the time, albeit one from the USA.....
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Its grim up north! @ June 06 2005,10:51)]This good, but I would replace Cadette with Crown and Marsh with Bents!

tounge.gif
Oooh, good call there! I'll stick with my XI, but I'd have no complaints about picking Crown (legend!) and the Rhythm Ace.

Player manager is Mr Tilson by the way - he's not quite up there with Webb yet, but it mkaes it easier for me to fit Tilly in this way!

GK Royce

RB Austin
CB Prior
CB Barrett
LB Powell

RM Marsh
CM Maher
LM Tilson

RW Collymore
CF Eastwood
LW Otto

Subs: Sansome, Lapper, Whelan, Byrne, Angell

Royce
Austin
Powell
Prior
Clark
Butler
Marsh
Ling
Otto
Collymore
Crown

Subs:
Sansome
Barrett
Tilson
Ansah
Eastwood

[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ June 06 2005,09:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 06 2005,09:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ June 06 2005,09:32)]Taylor
Butler
??
Keith Jones...?  Mike Marsh or Ronnie Whelan could also presumably slot into that midfield...

rock.gif
They played top flight before they Joined us.

cool.gif
Oh yes he did, Keith Jones made a few appearances for Chelsea in what's now the Prem (as did Keith Dublin
rock.gif
) before joining Brentford.

[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ June 06 2005,09:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 06 2005,09:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ June 06 2005,09:32)]Taylor
Butler
??
Keith Jones...?  Mike Marsh or Ronnie Whelan could also presumably slot into that midfield...

rock.gif
They played top flight before they Joined us.

cool.gif
Keith Jones came from Brentford but joined them from Chelsea where he did play top flight football a few times...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 06 2005,09:39)]Well, bearing in mind that I'm going from 1990-91 season onwards, my XI would be:

Sansome

Austin     Prior    Barrett {c}  Powell

Ansah     Butler   Marsh         Otto

Angell    Collymore

Subs: Royce, Eastwood, Maher, Tilson, Roget

cool.gif
Not bad Matt... I would have chosen similar except Royce in goal, Roget instead of Barrett at the back and Jones for Marsh in midfield.

What must be remembered is that there is a significant difference between Div 2 and Div 4, and as great as Barrett, Maher and Freddy have been this season, whether they would have the same impact 2 divisions higher is debatable.

A prime example was Tilly, who was great in Div 4 and 3, but only really cut the mustard in Div 2 when he was at the top of his game. An average Tilly performance wasn't really good enough as he lacked that extra yard of pace and touch to succeed at that level, and his general performances in the last season he was here were not really up to scratch.

Further, absolutely any higher league player that we had would probably be brilliant at our level now, no matter how bad they seemed at the time - yes, even Mark Hone. Hang on... I'm forgetting Gridelet. OK, everyone except Gridelet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ June 06 2005,13:34)]Not bad Matt... I would have chosen similar except Royce in goal, Roget instead of Barrett at the back and Jones for Marsh in midfield.
wow.gif

Surely, it can only be Sammy...

tounge.gif

Leo (and I'm thinking Leo pre-injury in particular) vs. Barrett was a close call. However, I genuinely believe that Adam Barrett is one of the best players we've seen here in recent years - not least because he gives everything, every time he pulls on the shirt, because of his goal-scoring prowess... and because he has the temperament to match his talent, which is Leo's big achilles heel.

Jones for Marsh... a close call, but I just loved the way Marsh played. It seemed effortless, yet it usually was brilliant.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ June 06 2005,13:34)]:

What must be remembered is that there is a significant difference between Div 2 and Div 4, and as great as Barrett, Maher and Freddy have been this season, whether they would have the same impact 2 divisions higher is debatable.[/QUOTE]
Too true.

How many goals would Andy Thomson have got in this Division
(Well the one we have just got out of )

95 ONWARDS FOR ME

GK - ROYCE

RB - HUNT
LB - POWELL
CB - BARRETT
CB - LAPPER

RM - BYRNE
LM - TILSON
CM - MARSH
CM - MAHER

CF - EASTWOOD
CF - CARRUTHERS

SUBS
FLAHAVEN
PRIOR
CORT
HAILS
N JONES

GK - Paul Sansome

RB - Dean Austin
CB - Paul Clark
CB - Adam Barrett
LB - Chris Powell

RM/RW - Andy Ansah
CM - Keith Jones
CM - Peter Butler
LM/LW - Ricky Otto

CF - Stan Collymore
CF - Ian Benjamin

SUBS, Darryl Flahavan, Spencer Prior, John Cornwell, Jonathan Hunt, Brett Angell.

In my time of going to Roots Hall:

Simon Royce

Lewis Hunt
Mike Lapper
Adam Barrett
Chris Powell

Paul Byrne
Mike Marsh
Kevin Maher
Mark Gower

Freddy Eastwood
God Bramble
wink.gif

Subs: Flahavan, Cort, Thomson, N Jones, Bentley

paul sansome
dean austin adam barrett paul clark chris powell

andy ansah martin ling glen pennyfather steve tilson

richard cadette
stan collymore

tounge.gif

Samsome

Austin Scully Clark Powell

Ansah Butler Jones Tilson

Angell Collymore

Subs: Royce, Barrett, Whelan, Benjamin, Eastwood

Loads of others who could have made it, but that line-up would take some beating in my opinion!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 06 2005,12:30)]Ling?

rock.gif

ps which version of Prior?
Ling scored and created a lot of goals in the late 1980s. Incidentally he's another who went onto play in the Premier$hite (for Swindon).

It was a tough call between him and Ooh Andy Ansah.

As for what version of Prior? Both. Everyone goes on about how much Adam Barrett wants it and how he took a pay-cut to come to Roots Hall, but if anything I'd say Prior wanted it just as much, if not more. He also took a pay-cut (and I'd expect a much larger pay-cut as he was reportedly on about £6,000 per wage). Yes, he made mistakes on the ball, but he was such a key player for us this season. How many times when crosses came in, was it Spinner heading it clear? He was a real rock at the heart of the defence and his experience was crucial and for me shone through. Fingers crossed, he won't get injured next season, because I fear we would really struggle without him. He was already in my best ever team before he returned and nothing I've seen since has made me change my mind. Although if I had to choose a version of Prior I'd go for the one pre-broken leg.

FWIW, Barrett was pretty close. In the end I felt one season's outstanding accomplishments didn't outweight the contribution someone like Paul Clark made over ten seasons as player and two stints as (caretaker) manager.

Back