• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Javea Shrimper

Just receivd "Motson's National Obsession" and a fine read it is too. The Shrimpers make two or three appearances, not least the trivia referring to sh*te managerial stints; Alvin Martin is aparently the sixth worst manager EVER in English football :

1. Terry Fenwick (Northampton Town : 2003) 0.28 points per game
2. Martin Hinshelwood (Brighton & Hove Albion : 2002) 0.50 ppg
3. Peter Withe (Wimbledon : 1991-92) 0.56 ppg
4. Howard Wilkinson (Sunderland : 2002-03) 0.74 ppg
5. Steve Nicol (Notts County : 1995) 0.95 ppg
6. Alvin Martin (Southend United : 1997-99) 1.03 ppg

ALVIN MARTIN took over the reins from the disastrous Ronnie Whelan in the summer of 1997; the Shrimpers had just been relegated from the First Division with just eight wins out of 46, the worst tally since the 1921/22 season (when Southend finished bottom of the Third Division (South) and had to apply for re-election to the Football League).

As it turns out, the 1997/98 season would prove to be of little improvement. By the end of September the Shrimpers remained unbeaten at home but has lost every single game away from Roots Hall to hover just above the relegation zone. By the end of 1997 Southend were still just above the zone but just FOUR wins in the next 21 games - and a run of five straight defeats - condemned the Shrimpers to another 24th position spot and another relegations.

Martin promised to rebuild the side and bring back the golden years to Roots Hall (much like every other manager since) and after three games Southend were sitting in third place having become one of the early pace-setters. Then it all went horribly wrong once again. From the end of August to Christmas, the Shrimpers won just FOUR games and had tumbled down the division. By March 1999 were 20th and just six points from the dreaded relegation zone and the board finally had enough. Alvin Martin was sacked on 26 March 1999 and has never managed a football club since. Phew ... !

WS

Makes my blood run cold just reading that.... I notice that Mr. Martin was given far longer than No.s 1-5 in the list to wreak his particular brand of Havoc on the club. From the dates Messrs Fenwick, Hinshelwood, Withe, Wilkinson, and Nicol were sussed and despatched pronto, while our revered Chairman sat back and let Martin do his worst!

mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ Aug. 07 2004,09:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Aug. 07 2004,09:07)]while our revered Chairman sat back and let Martin do his worst!

mad.gif
... I beg to differ, our chairman was vigorous in telling us all how Alvin was a really nice bloke!
I've been trying to expunge those seasons from my memory, Artful, but you are as always quite correct...

sad.gif

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs JS, you're running the board... but isn't this an Ex-Shrimpers thread?
wow.gif

Well, I did kinda mull over that little conundrum for a while. But then I thought it really is a period in the history of Southend United that should be generally discussed ...

WS

(Jeez! I talk a load of b******s ...)

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Aug. 07 2004,09:19)]Well, I did kinda mull over that little conundrum for a while. But then I thought it really is a period in the history of Southend United that should be generally discussed ...

WS

smile.gif
Rule 1. The Moderator is alway right.
Rule 2. In the event that the Moderator is wrong, please refer to Rule 1.
Rule 3. No discussion of Rules is permitted unless the Moderator has been bought at least 2 pints.
Rule 4. Shrimpers Rule!

Good grief - First day of the season and I'm more hyper than my son, and he's ADHD!

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Just about to go and have a swim to calm down a bit! It's fecking hot so I'm wondering whether we should dispense with the 'chirinquito run' and just catch a bus straight down to the bar ... jeez! the nerves are a-spinning ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Aug. 07 2004,09:19)]Well, I did kinda mull over that little conundrum for a while. But then I thought it really is a period in the history of Southend United that should be generally discussed ...

WS

smile.gif
Well there is only a few of us on here at the moment and I aint objecting...
biggrin.gif

Best forgotten though!
ghostface.gif

Don't you think Alvin Martin deserves a bit more respect though? Okay, he had a pretty poor record, but the players never gave him 100% and he was a victim to some very bad luck.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Aug. 07 2004,09:29)]Just about to go and have a swim to calm down a bit! It's fecking hot so I'm wondering whether we should dispense with the 'chirinquito run' and just catch a bus straight down to the bar ... jeez! the nerves are a-spinning ...

WS
It must be pretty close here to the temperatures in Spain at the moment surely. It's going to be about 30 C in London today so here it must be just below that. Only problem most people don't have pools here.
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Aug. 07 2004,10:36)]Okay, he had a pretty poor record, but the players never gave him 100%
Many of whom he brought in. A rotten manager, with rotten players in a rotten time for the club.

And it's fecking rotten that I'm stuck in work today and not making my way down to the Hall
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Aug. 07 2004,10:36)]Don't you think Alvin Martin deserves a bit more respect though? Okay, he had a pretty poor record, but the players never gave him 100% and he was a victim to some very bad luck.
As a player enormous respect - as a manager a little more respect than I had for Ronnie Whelan but that's still close to **** all.

Still at least the thread reminded me that things have been a lot worse.
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Aug. 08 2004,06:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Aug. 07 2004,10:36)]Don't you think Alvin Martin deserves a bit more respect though? Okay, he had a pretty poor record, but the players never gave him 100% and he was a victim to some very bad luck.
As a player enormous respect - as a manager a little more respect than I had for Ronnie Whelan but that's still close to **** all.

Still at least the thread reminded me that things have been a lot worse.
wink.gif
I would like to dostance myself from the comment I made. It was meant as a wind up, but it seems many are too forgiving towards the Chipmunkster to bite.

Damn you.

mad.gif

tounge.gif

Back