• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Its simple really ,yes Wordy is a very talented midfielder that can score goals , yes there are times he goes missing in games ,but the bottom line is Southend cannot afford his wages for a player that is injury prone,better spent on someone who is as good but isnt as injury prone .Sorry to see him go and i wish him the best for the future except if he plays against Southend.

I just think of Wordsworth as a player with an ability to ghost in and score the occasional goal which disguised his lack of appetite for the requirement of a lower league player, ie to get stuck in and get hurt for the team when required. He was defended by statistics that listed the distance he covered during a game but for me he did that but always positioned himself where he could avoid making a physical challenge. Yes his injuries reduced his impact but even when fit and before his personal problems there were too many games when he hid from view and left the "dirty work" to his teammates. Give me Yearwood, Timlin, Mantom over him any day. I think his creative skills have been over-rated. I have waited for him to realise his "true potential" but for SUFC that hasn't happened. I hope for his sake that another club gets that benefit but for us I think he's had his chance but not taken it.

Not fussed, far too injury prone and questionable attitude at times, if he didn’t like the set up or his position he was asked to play seemed to sulk....

Some very good games in previous seasons but not easy to fit into a 442

Also please we have got rid of Wright and please we didn’t execute that extra year, he was **** in my humble opinion.

Hopefully a few more the be cleared ou5 as well, so Chris can create HIS team

Ultimately the correct decision. A very talented player who scored some great goals but too injury prone and often went missing in games. A luxury to have and one that we cannot afford.

That's because Powell kept playing him wide left. It wasn't where he played or where he felt comfortable but he did what was asked. He made plenty of challenges, left some of us wincing at times. I think you'll find he will be missed, you just can't appreciate the style of his play.

The later ones here are not with us, but there are plenty here that are. Just look at the quality and tell me he didn't give his all? Like I've said elsewhere, try playing when you already have a hamstring tear and when your brother dies.....you haven't got a bloody clue!!! :angry:

[video=youtube;SLB6j5-TOzI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLB6j5-TOzI[/video]
Your defence of your favorite player is admirable. But I'm afraid you are in a small minority. Fans will not accept lack of effort and, rightly or wrongly, he has been perceived as ineffectual and lazy. Clearly, and most importantly, CP either feels the same or feels Wordy cannot fit into a CP system. Personally, I wish he could have been more involved in games as flair players bring personality and excitement to the game. Rodney Marsh and Stan Bowles were two heroes of mine. I really hope he does well at his next club. Say hi to Jackie for me

Last edited:
Shame that he's gone as he was one of our only true 'match winners' based on his ability to influence a game, but once his legs were sold (i.e. Leonard) then in my opinion he was more often a luxury in the Team.

More gutted about Josh Wright, I don’t think we saw the best of him, as he had a bit of an injury, his Gills record was quite good.

Wordy had great quality on the ball but his fitness and mobility levels were poor; I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the latter as injury must have played a large part and it didn't help that Mr Brown kept throwing him back in when he clearly wasn't ready. I also think Atkinson played a big part in masking Wordy's inability to track back, something he rarely got credit for.

That's not to say Wordy was always a liability or a luxury player. His performance in the 3-0 win at MK in the previous season, for example, was outstanding. But sadly I think letting him go is the right decision.

Always a shame to see talented players depart but realistically where was Wordworth going to play. He desperately needed to have an injury free run but guess that wasn't going to happen any time soon. Josh Wright well I always thought him a poor over rated signing. All he did was deny Dru game time in the earlier part of the season.

I think with the type of players we have now, Wordsworth wouldn't fit in.

What he benefited from was Atkinson doing the role of 2 players which allowed him to get forward more.

Less than 20 games a season for the last 7 years. It becomes irrelevant if he is good or bad without playing at least 50% more often.

Less than 20 games a season for the last 7 years. It becomes irrelevant if he is good or bad without playing at least 50% more often.

Given that statistic is accurate, I couldn't agree more. He cannot be "our most talented midfield player" if he only plays for half a season. Releasing him was the right decision IMO.

Not sure where you have those stats from, so it made me look. According to Soccerbase, these are his appearances (and goals) going back to Season 2010/11:

SUFC
2017/18 - Appearances 26 Goals 3
2016/17 - Appearances 38 Goals 12
2015/16 - Appearances 23 Goals 4

ITFC (CTFC & RUFC on loan)
2014/15 - Appearances 26 Goals 5

ITFC
2013/14 - Appearances 11 Goals 1

CUFC/ITFC
2012/13 - Appearances 34 Goals 3

CUFC
2011/12 - Appearances 47 Goals 13
2010/11 - Appearances 41 Goals 5

So, it would seem that whether you are averaging that figure or whatever, it's clearly wrong. There are only 4 seasons where he has played less than half, and two of those (one for us) are marginal.

Some people are very quick to forget what a very good year he had for us last season.

Last edited:
I think quite a few on here miss read that quote. I read as he has the skills and ability to play higher but never does more than enough and when he doesn't fancy it disappears.

Blimey, I'm in agreement with rigsby. Premier League ability doesn't necessarily equal Premier League performance.

I was very happy when we signed Wordsworth, he hasn't been bad but he hasn't lived up to expectations. Coming down from the championship I'd guess he was on a decent enough wage here. I would have been happy for us to negotiate a better deal with a lower salary and maybe a more performance and appearance based contract, but in all honesty I think he'll find a decent enough deal elsewhere and that would be a non starter. Wish him all the best in the future but probably the correct decision.

Wright I am happy to see go, was told by both Gillingham and Millwall fans that he was powderpuff and did nothing to convince me otherwise. A good scoring run which included a lot of penalties for Gills doesn't make a good player and you have to wonder why they were happy enough to cancel his contract if he was that good.

I liked McGlashan but mostly due to the lack of pace in our squad, if Powell can bring in a bit of pace to replace his threat then it isn't a major loss.

Not sure where you have those stats from, so it made me look. According to Soccerbase, these are his appearances (and goals) going back to Season 2010/11:

SUFC
2017/18 - Appearances 26 Goals 3
2016/17 - Appearances 38 Goals 12
2015/16 - Appearances 23 Goals 4

ITFC (CTFC & RUFC on loan)
2014/15 - Appearances 26 Goals 5

ITFC
2013/14 - Appearances 11 Goals 1

CUFC/ITFC
2012/13 - Appearances 34 Goals 3

CUFC
2011/12 - Appearances 47 Goals 13
2010/11 - Appearances 41 Goals 5

So, it would seem that whether you are averaging that figure or whatever, it's clearly wrong. There are only 4 seasons where he has played less than half, and two of those (one for us) are marginal.

Some people are very quick to forget what a very good year he had for us last season.

I admit I didn't include the 2 Colchester seasons but since leaving them at the end of 2012 he has played only 128 games . As someone else posted this now belongs on the ex players section of the forum.

Just as a reply to those who want this moved to ex-Shrimpers - Wordsworth is a very recent departure so I would be inclined to keep this here in the main forum for a little while longer. It is an inexact science, but when a regular-ish first teamer leaves, we'd leave it up longer than if (say) a loanee was sent packing. These topics tend to drift down the page soon enough anyway.

It is a shame it hasn't quite worked out as there is clearly plenty of talent there but it is difficult for any club to carry injury-prone passengers, never mind a club sailing as close to the wind as us.

Back