• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyone been to Bath?

Jedi Shrimper

formerly Drastic™
I'm going to Bath at the start of June with Mrs DS and her sisters who will be visiting from the USofA, and wondered if any Zoners have been?

I know I'm a bit ahead of myself here, what with it being march but it'll be the first proper holiday I've had since I went to Chicago in 2008, so I'm pretty excited.

Anyway, does anyone have any reccomendations of things to do, places to eat, good pubs (preferably quiet, friendly ones with good ales & cider).

Ta, DS.

I went a few years ago, and it's a great place. Can't really remember that many restaurants we ate at except Sally Lunns. That was good, but there are loads of other to choose from.

We did this too which was really good: http://www.bizarrebath.co.uk/

Yep I've been and it's a nice place but I can't remember any particular pubs/restaurants.

Stayed at Pratts Hotel a good few years back. Pleasant, if not spectacular. One thing I found though, Bath isn't very car friendly so if you're driving check that the hotel has its own car park.

Having said that, it's a lovely city and definitely worth a visit

Lovely city. there;s a jamie's italian there. Enjoy - it's great when the sun is out there...

I prefer a shower :winking:

I have, many moons ago. I remember got quite bored and left early on the Sunday. Remember that at night the town was packed with noisy rugger-buggers but I guess there may have been a match on.

Remember that at night the town was packed with noisy rugger-buggers but I guess there may have been a match on.

Hopefully that shouldn't be a problem as the season finishes the week before...

I went a few years ago, and it's a great place. Can't really remember that many restaurants we ate at except Sally Lunns. That was good, but there are loads of other to choose from.

We did this too which was really good: http://www.bizarrebath.co.uk/

Thanks for that tip, might suggest it to the inlaws.

Might have to visit this place though... *drools*

you should try PM'ing Bath Shrimper... that said he lives in Rayleigh these days!

I went once when we were playing Bristol Rovers at Twerton Park, the day coincided with John Major campaigning as there was a General Election imminent, i was on the 6 o'clock news barracking him :smile:

I went once when we were playing Bristol Rovers at Twerton Park, the day coincided with John Major campaigning as there was a General Election imminent, i was on the 6 o'clock news barracking him :smile:

I went to that game to.Sir Stanley scored our winner.Went to some good lunchtime pubs but can't remember the name of any.:cheers:

Finished 3 years at uni there in June so know the place pretty well.

Main touristy attractions are normally The Crescent and The Roman Baths. There is a sightseeing bus that drives around and plenty of other buses too if you know more about where you want to be going. The "really nice spa place there with a swimming pool on the roof" is the Thermae Bath Spa (link) which is nice (was a bit expensive for me as a student) especially in the evening. The Cathedral is also very nice as well as the weir around the corner.

Pubs are very common around the city, not cheap but a great variety. There are also some very nice cocktail bars if you don't want just a standard pub.

Wide range of places to eat too. As mentioned, there is the Jamie's Italian and an Ask, as well as Slug and Lettuce, Wetherspoons, Strada, some good thai restaurants and more upmarket ones which as mentioned before I couldn't really afford.

Longleat Safari Park is quite nearby if you fancy something different. Good shopping centre in Bristol (cabot circus) about 20mins away if traffic is good (which it normally isnt), although Bath has plenty of shops if you're that way inclined.

As mentioned, traffic around the city centre is very bad at peak times and parking is few and far between so would advise walking or getting a bus around the town.

Let me know if you have more specific questions, and I should be able to answer them.

Thanks pringlejon, if I think of anything specific I'll pm you. It's hard to tell from maps how compact the centre is, so just to give me an idea, how long would you guess it would take to walk from the train station to the Royal Crescent?

We stayed here. I would thoroughly recommend it. The restaurant is top notch and the hotel is within walking distance of everything you need. And it has its own parking.

If you are getting in at Bath Spa Station (the main station in Bath), you're looking at about a 20 minute walk, but it is mainly all uphill which is why you get some good views on a clear day when you get there, and rest assured there are many pubs on the way up there (beau nash has relatively cheap drinks and is a nice pub - more commercial than traditional though - and is about half way to the crescent from the station if you want a cheeky pint). The crescent is right next door to the circus (looks like a big roundabout on the map, not a bunch of clowns), which I believe is featured in the middle of a bbc one advert at the minute and is also worth a quick look, purely for it's artistic merit.

Back