• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
Bit random this, but thought I'd just see if anyone's had the same problem with their apple trees as us? Had loads of blossom and plenty of fruit form all hunky dory and just as usual, have had no trouble at all with aphids this year (normally a major pest) but nearly all the fruit has dropped far, far too early and way too small. I think there's about 3 apples left on the whole tree whereas we usually have absolutely tons off it. It's a real shame as it's a Discovery, which, as anyone that knows their apples can back up, is a lovely sweet desert apple, where the red skin tinge goes through into the apple flesh.

Not had that problem here, but it could be down to the weather. The lack of sun, and cooler days, may well have persuaded the tree that Autumn has arrived, in wich case it's shedding its fruit prematurely.

The other possibility is that the tree has a problem, and could be shedding fruit to conserve energy.

I'd guess the former, as our Wisteria at work's come into bud again, and last year my folks Rhododendrons flowered twice

Did wonder if it was down to the weather, it was a very wet spring, and it's also been very windy. The tree itself looks fine, very healthy in fact, and is probably getting on for 20 years old. Only possible non visible problem is ants - being as most of Benfleet seems to have ants' nests underneath it but I don't know if they would bother the roots of such an established tree.

Bit random this, but thought I'd just see if anyone's had the same problem with their apple trees as us? Had loads of blossom and plenty of fruit form all hunky dory and just as usual, have had no trouble at all with aphids this year (normally a major pest) but nearly all the fruit has dropped far, far too early and way too small. I think there's about 3 apples left on the whole tree whereas we usually have absolutely tons off it. It's a real shame as it's a Discovery, which, as anyone that knows their apples can back up, is a lovely sweet desert apple, where the red skin tinge goes through into the apple flesh.

Are you growing the tree in sand?:stunned:

I'd say it's a discovery, when did you find the tree in your garden???

There are ladies in Hadleigh who have reported that Crickos plums shrivel up if its too cold...:stunned:

Hes not had any problems with his apples tho...

There are ladies in Hadleigh who have reported that Crickos plums shrivel up if its too cold...:stunned:

Hes not had any problems with his apples tho...

Can't believe I did desert instead of dessert! No, it's in bog standard Benfleet clay, and we don't have plums thank you.

It seems pretty likely that the tree has been stressed somehow and jettisoned its cargo as a result, but just what that stress was isn't clear. Could be weather or disease or root damage.

managed to grow Peaches in my garden here

Blimey, are you sure?

20060121peaches.jpg

:stunned:

**** me OBL you are so boring you really are you should be Old Boring Lady never thought SZ would end up talking about a problem with somebody's Apple tree they have only just discovered!

**** me OBL you are so boring you really are you should be Old Boring Lady never thought SZ would end up talking about a problem with somebody's Apple tree they have only just discovered!

Thanks for your input there Scott, very useful. Why is it not ok for me to ask in the Pub section if anyone has any knowledge about fruit trees? the tree has fruited well ever since we've been here, this year it has a problem. I'm well aware that a lot of people enjoy gardening so any helpful advice would have been appreciated. Why is it only ok to seek advice on things which are of interest to you? I'm sorry if I bore you, guess that'll be no more steak meals on offer then.

Thanks for your input there Scott, very useful. Why is it not ok for me to ask in the Pub section if anyone has any knowledge about fruit trees? the tree has fruited well ever since we've been here, this year it has a problem. I'm well aware that a lot of people enjoy gardening so any helpful advice would have been appreciated. Why is it only ok to seek advice on things which are of interest to you? I'm sorry if I bore you, guess that'll be no more steak meals on offer then.

you bite sooooo easy

Back