• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

April Smith Made Redundant

I managed to grab a quick word with April during the game (well shout as she was pitch side working and I was in the South Upper) and she was holding it together.

It needs to be said her professionalism was unbroken throughout the afternoon.

She was organising things throughout the day, for the flag bearers and mascots pre game, during the game for some of the kids watching in the South Lower to ensure they were having a good time and all the way to after the end of the game for the lap of appreciation making sure the players families were able to join their Dads or partners when I took this picture.

Good luck Apes like I said Saturday , you have been amazing and your Southend family are with you
Saturday and last night was hard for her but proud that she brushed herself down and completed her work.
Today has not been a good day for her and I suppose now that the season is over and she is saying goodbye to all her various groups and people she has dealt with it, has finally hit her

Saturday and last night was hard for her but proud that she brushed herself down and completed her work.
Today has not been a good day for her and I suppose now that the season is over and she is saying goodbye to all her various groups and people she has dealt with it, has finally hit her
I was speaking to a lady who attends the senior Blues group today, run by Frankie Banks, who meet monthly in the Shrimpers Bar and she had no idea that April had been made redundant. She thought it was strange that April didn't join the recent get together and could not believe what has happened. This lady is not on here but would like to give her thanks for all the hard work April has done for this group, organising outings and driving the club minibus, etc. Strangely she mentioned that they had been told that funding had been increased for this group and they were asked to write down where they would like to next visit. I think that they have to pay part of the costs but was surprised that they were told that funding had been increased.

Last edited:
I was speaking to a lady who attends the senior Blues group today, run by Frankie Banks, who meet monthly in the Shrimpers Bar and she had no idea that April had been made redundant. She thought it was strange that April didn't join the recent get together and could not believe what has happened. This lady is not on here but would like to give her thanks for all the hard work April has done for this group, organising outings and driving the club minibus, etc. Strangely she mentioned that they had been told that funding had been increased for this group and they were asked to write down where they would like to next visit. I think that they have to pay part of the costs but was surprised that they were told that funding had been increased.
I have never trusted that Dale Slimy man.

I managed to grab a quick word with April during the game (well shout as she was pitch side working and I was in the South Upper) and she was holding it together.

It needs to be said her professionalism was unbroken throughout the afternoon.

She was organising things throughout the day, for the flag bearers and mascots pre game, during the game for some of the kids watching in the South Lower to ensure they were having a good time and all the way to after the end of the game for the lap of appreciation making sure the players families were able to join their Dads or partners when I took this picture.

Good luck Apes like I said Saturday , you have been amazing and your Southend family are with you
Not denigrating any of the excellent work April did/does but a very minor point of order, she doesn't organise anything for the flag bearers. I do that.

Last edited:
Not denigrating any of the excellent work April did/does but a very minor point of order, she doesn't organise anything for the flag bearers. I do that.
Of course, I realise that.

Maybe I should have put she was talking and interacting with the children, like I often see her do pre match for many years.

I was merely making the point on a day that I know was extremely difficult her April was 100% professional from start to finish in what I saw her do.

Of course, I realise that.

Maybe I should have put she was talking and interacting with the children, like I often see her do pre match for many years.

I was merely making the point on a day that I know was extremely difficult her April was 100% professional from start to finish in what I saw her do.
Oh absolutely. She always is. That's why this decision is so hard to understand.

April was given her P45 yesterday and things that should be said at this time are probably better left for now, however it is a disgrace the way she has been treated after 10 years loving service to SUCET and the club. I still hope that the new guys when able to get her back where she calls home. At SUFC!

April was given her P45 yesterday and things that should be said at this time are probably better left for now, however it is a disgrace the way she has been treated after 10 years loving service to SUCET and the club. I still hope that the new guys when able to get her back where she calls home. At SUFC!
I assume she will receive redundancy of some sort after 10 years ??

I assume she will receive redundancy of some sort after 10 years ??
Statutory I believe, 10 weeks. Words cannot express my anger at some of what I have been told about her treatment, but which cannot be made public........yet.

I honestly think she would be better cutting her losses and going after a bigger, better paid job elsewhere now.

I don't know her personally (probably know the face), but she's clearly highly regarded by shrimpers / zoners. Do we know whether this was a decision made by Ron and his people, or the new regime ?

For anyone not aware, April worked for the Community Trust, SUCET, who are affiliated with Southend United, and have a partnership, but run separately. SUCET are the official charity for Southend United. SUCET are absolutely brilliant for all the work they do with the community, right the way through from kids to OAPs. They rely on donations and help from other organisations.
This will give you an idea of the brilliant work they do, from their site.

We are incredibly proud of our affiliation with Southend United Football Club, but the Community & Educational Trust is about so much more than football.

We strive to engage with and enrich the lives of people of all ages, abilities, backgrounds and interests. We use our varied Sports Participation, Health & Wellbeing, Education & Training and Community Cohesion schemes to reach people throughout South East Essex – offering something for everyone!

We are driven by our Million Mission – our commitment to engage with one million people through the brand of Southend United Football Club between 2016 and 2026. Be one in a million, go on – get involved!

We tackle the many complex issues facing our local community such as poverty, diabetes, isolation, bullying, anti-social behaviour, poor education, low self-esteem and so much more. We implement community and education focused programmes and solutions that make a real difference.

Our services are vast, from sports lessons within schools (not just football) to IT lessons for the elderly. We run volunteering programmes and training courses from entry-level qualifications up to Degree level. We organise regular outings for our Senior Shrimpers and we arrange for players at Southend United to make motivational visits to various organisations including schools, holiday camps and celebration events. The list goes on…
Our team works tirelessly to inspire people to achieve their potential.

There's a great video on...... https://www.sufccommunity.co.uk/
that shows the type of things they do. They help kids with disabilities, and you can see the happiness on the kids faces to involved and enjoying themselves.

As many have said, April was a massive part of all of this. She did so much, and went above and beyond to help organise various things, and make people happy. Thankfully, SUCET will survive without her, but I still think it's a massive own goal. There are other staff cutbacks they could have done. After all she's done, having put her heart and soul into SUCET, they should have bent over backwards to keep her.

Last edited:
Back