• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

April Smith Made Redundant

sucet do not appear to have any direct links to the club on the charity commission site

I am confused as to where the club’s responsibility lies /extends to in this , were sucet hiring or “lending “ her to SUFC for any tasks/duties outside of her Sucet remit or are everything we see sucet duties not SUFC

sucet do not appear to have any direct links to the club on the charity commission site

I am confused as to where the club’s responsibility lies /extends to in this , were sucet hiring or “lending “ her to SUFC for any tasks/duties outside of her Sucet remit or are everything we see sucet duties not SUFC
And if SUCET aren’t linked to the club what role does Gary Lockett play in all of this

Apologies if this has been said already but I managed to speak to Justin Rees today (for the first time so had to squeeze a lot of appreciation in a short convo) and we did touch on April. He said he wasn’t best pleased to hear about it and that he couldnt really comment but said (in not so many words) that he even though he wanted to, he couldnt just ask Tom Lawrence to hire her. The way he said it I took it to mean he very much wants to ask Tom to get in touch with her. Whether that happens who knows but we agreed a fantastic servant to the club has been made redundant and he went on to say there may be 2 or 3 more redundancies coming. The words he used were “we are quite bloated at the moment”. I didnt push the issue or question as we were in the Far Post and also my first time meeting the guy but thats what I gathered.

Apologies if this has been said already but I managed to speak to Justin Rees today (for the first time so had to squeeze a lot of appreciation in a short convo) and we did touch on April. He said he wasn’t best pleased to hear about it and that he couldnt really comment but said (in not so many words) that he even though he wanted to, he couldnt just ask Tom Lawrence to hire her. The way he said it I took it to mean he very much wants to ask Tom to get in touch with her. Whether that happens who knows but we agreed a fantastic servant to the club has been made redundant and he went on to say there may be 2 or 3 more redundancies coming. The words he used were “we are quite bloated at the moment”. I didnt push the issue or question as we were in the Far Post and also my first time meeting the guy but thats what I gathered.
Is Justin anything to do with SUCET though ? Or is he suggesting that April asks SUFC for a job ?

I think the question was asked earlier on here 'Is the consortium/ Justin aware' and the answer was 'yes'.
Can I ask if they were aware as in informed by Aprils boss or only aware when SZ brought it to their attention ?
I understand that the football club , and especially the consortium as they've not yet taken over , are not her direct employers , but this could have a big impact on how the club is perceived etc so I do hope they make their feelings known too.
They were aware before the wider SZ public were.

This from Chris Bent is probably the saddest picture of the day, although i have no doubt Apes will be back.

View attachment 31836
😥😥😥

She said to me she received so many hugs and well wishes yesterday and was so humbled with everyone one of them.
One of the small JB made her a card which finally made her crack.
It is sad - But if nothing else she is a resilient person

This from Chris Bent is probably the saddest picture of the day, although i have no doubt Apes will be back.

View attachment 31836
I managed to grab a quick word with April during the game (well shout as she was pitch side working and I was in the South Upper) and she was holding it together.

It needs to be said her professionalism was unbroken throughout the afternoon.

She was organising things throughout the day, for the flag bearers and mascots pre game, during the game for some of the kids watching in the South Lower to ensure they were having a good time and all the way to after the end of the game for the lap of appreciation making sure the players families were able to join their Dads or partners when I took this picture.

Good luck Apes like I said Saturday , you have been amazing and your Southend family are with you

She also did a great job at the End of Season Awards Dinner last night, and although I don’t know April, I have only ever seen her on the pitch pre match, I felt compelled to speak to her and offer my thoughts on the matter and hope that the club may find a space for her. You can’t afford to lose dedicated people like April.

I managed to grab a quick word with April during the game (well shout as she was pitch side working and I was in the South Upper) and she was holding it together.

It needs to be said her professionalism was unbroken throughout the afternoon.

She was organising things throughout the day, for the flag bearers and mascots pre game, during the game for some of the kids watching in the South Lower to ensure they were having a good time and all the way to after the end of the game for the lap of appreciation making sure the players families were able to join their Dads or partners when I took this picture.

Good luck Apes like I said Saturday , you have been amazing and your Southend family are with you
This is i think a very valid point, nobody and i mean NOBODY does the kind or work April does. I still feel she cannot be let go , but it will be down to the club being sold as of now it would still be the rat who is in charge of staff.

Last edited:
Back