• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Attendances for Friendlies

Remember as a very young kid the shock of the pre season friendly loss against Raith Rovers which was covered in the team we called United film . Anyone got an idea of the gate then?
Presumably Hawkwell Blue as he hasn't asked for that one !

Remember as a very young kid the shock of the pre season friendly loss against Raith Rovers which was covered in the team we called United film . Anyone got an idea of the gate then?
Not sure when we played Raith Rovers at Roots Hall but around the time of that film we played the following matches:- 17th.April 67. Berwick Rangers; 5th.August 67. Clyde; 3rd.August 68. Clyde(again); 30th.July 69. Morton and 4th.August 69. Dundee. The following season 1970-71 we played Clyde, St.Mirren & Dundee on a pre-season tour of Scotland between 1st. August 70 through to the 5th.August 70 with just a single home friendly that season on the 10th.August against Accra Hearts of Oak S.C.

Southend Utd. 1, Fulham 0. the winning goal was scored in the fiirst minute by Billy Best. The attendance was 4,719.
I remember going to that game. Sure it was on a cold Fri night in Jan & was arranged as Fulham had been knocked out of F.A cup & our initial opponents the following day were still in the cup?.

Not sure when we played Raith Rovers at Roots Hall but around the time of that film we played the following matches:- 17th.April 67. Berwick Rangers; 5th.August 67. Clyde; 3rd.August 68. Clyde(again); 30th.July 69. Morton and 4th.August 69. Dundee. The following season 1970-71 we played Clyde, St.Mirren & Dundee on a pre-season tour of Scotland between 1st. August 70 through to the 5th.August 70 with just a single home friendly that season on the 10th.August against Accra Hearts of Oak S.C.
I remember buying an old 'Shoot' or similar football magazine in 68 ( i think? ) & there was a colour pic inside of the Clyde game ( ? ) showing a Clyde fan on the pitch during play!.

I remember going to that game. Sure it was on a cold Fri night in Jan & was arranged as Fulham had been knocked out of F.A cup & our initial opponents the following day were still in the cup?.
That wasn’t that game. The one Dave referred to was before the start of the 1968/69 season. Fulham was the first home friendly on Saturday July 27th when we played in a new Navy Blue kit. The following Saturday August 3rd, we beat Clyde 4-2 at home in another friendly.

Being the complete anorak I have of course all my programmes catalogued and where possible crowds and scorelines. Unfortunately I have gaps for the attendances of a lot of our friendlies as below. Does anyone know where I can get these crowds from, if indeed the information is out there.

Thanks and Utbs!

04-May-70​
Southend UnitedFiorentina0-1
10-Aug-70​
Southend UnitedAccra Hearts5-1
18-May-72​
Southend UnitedStoke City2-4
03-May-74​
Southend UnitedChelsea1-3
21-May-77​
Southend UnitedLeicester City3-3
10-Mar-80​
Southend UnitedHvidovre2-0
08-May-81​
Southend UnitedWolves0-1
21-Aug-81​
Southend UnitedWest Ham United1-2
12-Aug-83​
Southend UnitedJapan X10-1
20-Aug-84​
Southend UnitedWest Ham United0-6
17-Feb-85​
Southend UnitedF.K. Austria1-2
12-May-87​
Southend UnitedNorwich City1-1
04-Aug-87​
Southend UnitedPeterborough United3-2
13-Apr-88​
Southend UnitedNorwich City2-3
16-Aug-88​
Southend UnitedIpswich Town0-1
20-Feb-89​
Southend UnitedIFK Goteborg2-4
05-Feb-92​
Southend UnitedNew Zealand X14-2
10-Aug-93​
Southend UnitedCape Town Spurs4-0
31-Jul-98​
Southend UnitedWest Ham United0-5
25-Jul-01​
Southend UnitedLeicester City1-2
01-Aug-01​
Southend UnitedGillingham1-1
31-Mar-03​
Southend UnitedEngland X18-2
23-Jul-05​
Southend UnitedNorwich City2-1
19-Jul-08​
Southend UnitedFulham0-2
19-Jul-10​
Southend UnitedDerby County1-1
03-Aug-10​
Southend UnitedWest Ham United1-1
22-Jul-11​
Southend UnitedIpswich Town1-1
28-Jul-11​
Southend UnitedNorwich City0-0
03-Aug-11​

This is kind of off topic and a shot in the dark but was you the creator of the blue anorak site years ago ? Loved that site.

I'm sure there was a mid/late 90s friendly against Arsenal with Bergkamp and Platt playing for them. I think my first live club football match. anyone got any details of that?

I remember the unenthusiastic look on Tony Adams' face when he was presented with the trophy after the game.

Being the complete anorak I have of course all my programmes catalogued and where possible crowds and scorelines. Unfortunately I have gaps for the attendances of a lot of our friendlies as below. Does anyone know where I can get these crowds from, if indeed the information is out there.

Thanks and Utbs!

04-May-70​
Southend UnitedFiorentina0-1
10-Aug-70​
Southend UnitedAccra Hearts5-1
18-May-72​
Southend UnitedStoke City2-4
03-May-74​
Southend UnitedChelsea1-3
21-May-77​
Southend UnitedLeicester City3-3
10-Mar-80​
Southend UnitedHvidovre2-0
08-May-81​
Southend UnitedWolves0-1
21-Aug-81​
Southend UnitedWest Ham United1-2
12-Aug-83​
Southend UnitedJapan X10-1
20-Aug-84​
Southend UnitedWest Ham United0-6
17-Feb-85​
Southend UnitedF.K. Austria1-2
12-May-87​
Southend UnitedNorwich City1-1
04-Aug-87​
Southend UnitedPeterborough United3-2
13-Apr-88​
Southend UnitedNorwich City2-3
16-Aug-88​
Southend UnitedIpswich Town0-1
20-Feb-89​
Southend UnitedIFK Goteborg2-4
05-Feb-92​
Southend UnitedNew Zealand X14-2
10-Aug-93​
Southend UnitedCape Town Spurs4-0
31-Jul-98​
Southend UnitedWest Ham United0-5
25-Jul-01​
Southend UnitedLeicester City1-2
01-Aug-01​
Southend UnitedGillingham1-1
31-Mar-03​
Southend UnitedEngland X18-2
23-Jul-05​
Southend UnitedNorwich City2-1
19-Jul-08​
Southend UnitedFulham0-2
19-Jul-10​
Southend UnitedDerby County1-1
03-Aug-10​
22-Jul-11​
Southend UnitedIpswich Town1-1
28-Jul-11​
Southend UnitedNorwich City0-0
03-Aug-11​
Very interesting list !
I’ll try to find time to thumb through my allbut * complete collection of home progs 1955-2015 to check I have all of these and have added the same score lines.I’m afraid I never add attendances—unless they’re exceptional.
* 3 home friendlies I’ve never been able to acquire—can anyone help ?,were they actually played ?did we issue a programme?
78-9 v Brighton
75-6 v Qatar
72-3 v FC Volendam

Very interesting list !
I’ll try to find time to thumb through my allbut * complete collection of home progs 1955-2015 to check I have all of these and have added the same score lines.I’m afraid I never add attendances—unless they’re exceptional.
* 3 home friendlies I’ve never been able to acquire—can anyone help ?,were they actually played ?did we issue a programme?
78-9 v Brighton
75-6 v Qatar
72-3 v FC Volendam
Hi Paul, definitely a programme for F.C. Volendam fairly certain we won 3-0? Programme issued was a Southend Standard 4 pages. I think it is quite hard to get, have seen it on eBay for about £25 back in the day. Not sure about the Brighton game but can tell you that the Qatar is extremely hard to get. Cheers Dave 🦐⚽🦐

Hi Tony, regarding the above match against Fulham, this was played on Friday 5th. December 1969 hastily arranged due to both clubs being knocked out of the F.A.Cup in the first round us by Gillingham 2-1after a 0-0 draw at Roots Hall where as Fulham were beaten 2-0 at Exeter City. In this friendly we again came out on top winning by 2-1 with our goals being scored by surprise, surprise Billy Best (no change there) with the winning goal being scored by Big Bill Garner his first goal for the club after signing from Bedford Town a few weeks earlier. Attendance was just 1,973, mind you it was a bloody cold evening.

Hi Tony, regarding the above match against Fulham, this was played on Friday 5th. December 1969 hastily arranged due to both clubs being knocked out of the F.A.Cup in the first round us by Gillingham 2-1after a 0-0 draw at Roots Hall where as Fulham were beaten 2-0 at Exeter City. In this friendly we again came out on top winning by 2-1 with our goals being scored by surprise, surprise Billy Best (no change there) with the winning goal being scored by Big Bill Garner his first goal for the club after signing from Bedford Town a few weeks earlier. Attendance was just 1,973, mind you it was a bloody cold evening.
I remember walking back to the old bus depot ( where Sainsbury's is ) after the game, & the water in the fountain outside Southend Police station was frozen in parts!.

A little bit off topic but found this article in the Chelmsford Chronicle from August 1938. It seems the view was that a gate of 8000 was low. Also note the profit made by the club!!!

View attachment 30699
Appreciate the 'off topic', but a good read, that profit is around £93,000 in today's money, see, it can be done!! I love "their famous little supporters club" though......£1,000, a tidy amount! Derby Wanderers?

Back