• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No surprise, but a shame about Clifford - really think he has the talent to go further than League 2 in the future. It's a shame we didn't really get to see Ibenfeldt play either, looked exciting in pre-season. In Brown we trust!

No surprise, but a shame about Clifford - really think he has the talent to go further than League 2 in the future. It's a shame we didn't really get to see Ibenfeldt play either, looked exciting in pre-season. In Brown we trust!

Yes - as you say it would have been good to see Ibenfeldt. No surprise over Clifford or Barnard.

A big thank you to all three for their efforts for the club. I will be interested to see where they are next season. :thumbsup:

No shocks, little disappointed it never really worked out for Clifford. There's a player in there but he's very erratic.

I saw enough from Ibenfeldt during his sub appearance at York away to realise he wasn't up to much. Spooned a couple of free headers straight up in the air. He might have been good on the deck but for a tall guy he was poor.

Slightly gutted about Clifford as I know he is a quality player, I saw him play a few times for Chelsea reserves (captain) and he was different class, I wish hi the best though and I know someone will be getting a good player in him.

The other two guys, I don't think we'll miss.

Thought Clifford had some real class. No doubt he will be the one of those former Southend players to make it at a decent championship club in a few years :unsure:

Would the wages that the club are saving by releasing these three equate to the wages of a decent Lg1 player?

Would the wages that the club are saving by releasing these three equate to the wages of a decent Lg1 player?

Clifford is probably on a fair wedge having been ex-Chelski youth team captain. Mads moved from overseas so I expect he wasn't cheaper either. Then Barney dropped down 3 divisions to play for us so I expect his money can be spent better.

Would have liked to have seen Mads more but can't say I'm too disappointed with this. That money will be much better spent in other areas of the squad.

Clifford is probably on a fair wedge having been ex-Chelski youth team captain. Mads moved from overseas so I expect he wasn't cheaper either. Then Barney dropped down 3 divisions to play for us so I expect his money can be spent better.

Would have liked to have seen Mads more but can't say I'm too disappointed with this. That money will be much better spent in other areas of the squad.

Didn't Mads move because his missus got a job in England? My guess is that he is on pennies - he was a gamble and foreign players in general are cheaper.

Didn't Mads move because his missus got a job in England? My guess is that he is on pennies - he was a gamble and foreign players in general are cheaper.

Didn't know about that, would have assumed we paid a bit extra to entice him over but given the lower-league element this makes sense. It's not like he would have been desperate to get into League 2!

Didn't know about that, would have assumed we paid a bit extra to entice him over but given the lower-league element this makes sense. It's not like he would have been desperate to get into League 2!
Pretty sure Pubey is right, had been on trial at a few other clubs and Peter Taylor was at Gillingham and recommended him to us which is why he got a trial here. Doubt he was on very much at all. Shame we didn't get to see more of him as I liked what I saw of him in pre-season, but looked a tad erratic and was always going to struggle to get back in the side after injury.

Clifford probably wasn't on too much either, having been released by Chelsea and then Forest, and Brown seems to have been in the minority in not rating him here. Think if he'd been a bit more disciplined in his first season and avoided being a walking red card then he may have been given more of a chance, but he started this season very well and was unlucky to lose his place.

Barnard was probably a top earner and his signing was just a disaster really! Sad to see a favourite like him struggling so much but I think he could probably grab a couple of goals at another League 2 side playing a different way with a different manager, would expect him to sign for an Eastleigh or Ebbsfleet type non-league club who will pay big money.

Clifford wasn't disciplined enough - in both senses. He didn't stay in position or read the game well enough, and he was a liability in terms of cards and sendings off. I didn't see a great deal from him but while he had the talent, we couldn't give him minutes if he was going to give the ball away and then get sent off when trying to win it back in an overenthusiastic challenge (c.f. Mansfield away).

Clifford wasn't disciplined enough - in both senses. He didn't stay in position or read the game well enough, and he was a liability in terms of cards and sendings off. I didn't see a great deal from him but while he had the talent, we couldn't give him minutes if he was going to give the ball away and then get sent off when trying to win it back in an overenthusiastic challenge (c.f. Mansfield away).

If he can get minutes on the pitch and develop his game then I'm sure he could become a decent league midfielder, but that's not going to be with us now we've gone up. If he doesn't develop then he'll end up like Lee Sawyer.

Back