• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the 80s films - Bill and Ted's EA v Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adv v Planes, Trains and Automobiles

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Two of the finest comedy actors of their generation, John Candy and Steve Martin, against Mr. Wooden Keanu Reeves...

Girl at Mall: Oh, my god!
Sigmund Freud: You both seem to be suffering from a mild form of hysteria.
Girl at Mall: You are such a geek!
Billy the Kid: Way to go, egghead!
Socrates: GEEK!
Sigmund Freud: What is a geek?

Tough one. Bill & Ted should be utter guff, but it's in fact a work of genius working on the very fact that Keeeaaaaaaaaaannnnnnu has the acting ability of an Ikea bookcase.

That's being harsh on Ikea Bookcases, I love my Billy Bookcases!

I have much love for Bill and Ted, and I've never quite got the love for Planes...

I rewatched Planes Trains & Automobilies a couple of months ago. It was good and John Candy was a great actor in that type of role, but I don't think it was as good as I remember it being.

Bill & Teds feels less dated, and meant a lot more to me at the time so I've voted for that.

can't recall exactly what Naps criteria was, but think quotability was one of them....have to say B&T is likely to just edge this one for me, unless someone can convince me otherwise!

can't recall exactly what Naps criteria was, but think quotability was one of them....have to say B&T is likely to just edge this one for me, unless someone can convince me otherwise!

Quotability
Great music/soundtrack
Cool clothes
Of its time (which was debated quite a lot)

(From 1:50 onwards) Bill & Ted's history project presentation:

[video=youtube;uv9NfdavZsQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv9NfdavZsQ[/video]

Quotability
Great music/soundtrack
Cool clothes
Of its time (which was debated quite a lot)

It has to be Bill & Ted:

Be excellent to each other.... and PARTY ON DUDES!
Amazing music
Very 80s clothes
Very 80s full stop

Bill & Ted may not be high art, but in terms of exemplifying the 80s, it's right up there with the best (e.g. Ferris Bueller's Day Off).

Indeed, a great reflection of the 80s is Bill and Ted. The fact that they followed it up with an equally good sequel shows how good the writing and acting was in both films. Keanus finest moment!

Vote wyld stallyns!

Wow, haven't been around yet to support my nomination, so here goes...

Without a doubt Planes, Trains & Automobiles is a better movie than Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

However B&T is a far far better evocation of the time, great music, eminently quotable (thanks for the help so far chaps), it's about teenagers etc etc. And let's not forget it starred the great George Carlin as Rufus. It's just a shame neither of the two leads went on to be good actors...

Bill-And-Teds_l.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------

Bill: He's dead?
Mr. Ryan: So, Bill, what you're telling me, essentially, is that Napoleon was a short dead dude.
Bill: Well, yeah.
Ted: You totally blew it, dude.
Mr. Ryan: Ted, stand up.
Ted: Stand up?
Mr. Ryan: Yes, son. Stand up.
[Ted stands]
Mr. Ryan: Now, who was Joan of Arc?
Ted: [pauses] Noah's Wife?

Sorry, but PT&A is my all time most hated film! I t winds me up more than TefRon!!!!

Back