• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Morning,

I think an away day with Southend is pretty much of a thank less task. Lets face it even the most simple and basic away game we have the amazing ability to turn into a four nil defeat.

But once in a while we do have the amazing ability to win and win in style. So my question would be of all the away games you have attended what would be your best three? They dont have to be wins just three special days.

In the interests of keeping this post remotely intersting I am veto our 3-0 thrashing/spanking/trouncing/humbling/ of the scum that are Col U last season.

My three are as follows

EVERTON AWAY 1992??

Whilst we lost anyone that was there will tell you we killed them in the 2nd half and should really have got the back to Roots Hall. Big Fat Nev made two world class saves from Benji and then Andy Ansah to give them the win.

I think I was about eleven at the time and having 4000+ blues fans in one place for the first time ever gave me such a wicked buzz.

DERBY AWAY - WON 2-1 EARY 90'S

Our first ever away game going into what is now the championship. I remeber going to the game on the train with Dad of DtS. All the way I was telling him about how worried I was playing them as they had Peter Shilton & Mark Wright who only the year before I had seen as heros in Italia 90.

Game started well and I think we took a really early 2-0 lead through Brett Angell and Andy Sussex. I think they grabbed one back late on but it didnt matter as we had done it.

CHESTERFIELD AWAY - 2005

Again one of them games you had to be there to believe. We were winning, then losing, then winning again. Anyone who ever doubts Freddys talents wasnt at Chesterfield as if you were you would have seen one man single handily decide he was going to win a game for Southend. That was the day i really feel in love with the magic of Freddy.

Yours DtS
:guns:

Chesterfield 4-3 absolutely cracking game and my knees were weak at the end of it.

Swansea 2-2, a great display from the boys coming from behind twice and i'll never forget the tension at atmosphere in the stand that day and then the rush of joy as we found out Brentford were drawing :D

Colchester 3-0, my brothers birthday and we ****ed all over our backward neighbours that day, i think i spent most of the 90 minutes laughing at how easy the first 30 minutes were! :hilarious: :finger:

Easy this one
Peterboro away to win the first promotion under King Webb I rubbish with years

Bury away the very next season to secure THAT promotion to second division for the first time ever WHO PUT THE BALL IN THE BURY NET BENJI BENJI

And Swansea away two seasons ago to win promotion to the championship

Colchester 3-0, my brothers birthday and we ****ed all over our backward neighbours that day, i think i spent most of the 90 minutes laughing at how easy the first 30 minutes were! :hilarious: :finger:

Some one has not read all my post I suggest.

:fart:

Macclesfield (A) - I think it might have been 0-0, but who knows or cares. Legendary away trip.

Charlton (A) c.1995 - won 3-0. We were still madly celebrating Tilly's goal to put us 2-0 up (in those days shots away from home were rarities, let alone goals), when Andy Thomson chased a back pass to make it 3-0.

Cambridge (A) 2005 - won 2-0. I've never believed in the side so much. Freddy was scoring goals for fun (I think he'd just equalled the club record), Spencer Prior was a clossus at the back, Maher and Bentley were running the midfield. I just knew we were the better team and that we were going to win. We could have gone 2-0 down and I think we'd still have won that game.

1) Preston 3-2 in April. All 3 quality finishes by Kev & Macca, we thought we'd struggle after Eastwood went off injured especially against a team vying for the playoffs. A total team performance and unfortunately one that gave us all false hope!

2) Gillingham 2-1 Dec 97. We were 1-0 down to an early goal right until 2nd half injury time & then up popped Boere to score an undeserved equaliser. Then lo & behold a screamer from Regis Coulbault went in to nick all 3 points, the away corner terrace went absolutely mental (I'll always remember being carried down the steps in a rush of bodies only to turn around and see my 19 stone Dad being lifted off his fit and kissed by some random Shrimper!)

3) Derby 3-1 Nov 93. The closest I've ever seen Southend come to total fotball. This win took us 2nd in the 2nd tier and basically ignited Birmingham's interest in Fry & his coaches, the rest as they say is history.

Honourable mentions to Ipswich 06/07 (1st time we've won there in 50 years, how sweet for someone who detests ITFC like me), Scarborough 98/99 (an army of expectant Shrimpers thinking we'd walk Div3 on the first day of the season), Blackpool 05/06 (Freddy's last minute super-strike), Barnsley 93/94 (Otto's wonder goal in a 3-0 win) & Cambridge 04/05 (what Cousin Weir said)

Dave, I assume as Col U is banned, so should the playoff final be too!

1-0 at Bury (THAT goal, clinching THAT promotion)

4-3 at Col Ewe (or any win aside from the 3-0 which i'm not allowed to mention)

2-1 at Blackpool (the whole day out, but esp. the flights)

These are the 3 that stick readily to mind, but there have been 100s of great days out watching the mighty Shrimpers, honorary mentions to promotion at Stockport (when Peter Miles got into the away dressing room and jumped into the players bath), even some defeats have been memorable for various reasons ... Maidstone was one, we went on double decker buses and rang the stop bell constantly all the way there and all the way back (it seemed like fun at the time :o ) lost 3-0 with Paul Brush lobbing Sammy from the half way line ... still a fun day out though !!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
1) Preston 3-2 in April. All 3 quality finishes by Kev & Macca, we thought we'd struggle after Eastwood went off injured especially against a team vying for the playoffs. A total team performance and unfortunately one that gave us all false hope!

2) Gillingham 2-1 Dec 97. We were 1-0 down to an early goal right until 2nd half injury time & then up popped Boere to score an undeserved equaliser. Then lo & behold a screamer from Regis Coulbault went in to nick all 3 points, the away corner terrace went absolutely mental (I'll always remember being carried down the steps in a rush of bodies only to turn around and see my 19 stone Dad being lifted off his fit and kissed by some random Shrimper!)

3) Derby 3-1 Nov 93. The closest I've ever seen Southend come to total fotball. This win took us 2nd in the 2nd tier and basically ignited Birmingham's interest in Fry & his coaches, the rest as they say is history.

Honourable mentions to Ipswich 06/07 (1st time we've won there in 50 years, how sweet for someone who detests ITFC like me), Scarborough 98/99 (an army of expectant Shrimpers thinking we'd walk Div3 on the first day of the season), Blackpool 05/06 (Freddy's last minute super-strike) & Barnsley 93/94 (Otto's wonder goal in a 3-0 win)

Bah, I missed all 3 of those games, and also Swansea away when we only had 8 men. Blackpool is a good shout, but for Webby's return inspiring us from 2-0 down to a 2-2 draw. After years of depressing football (Taylor, Whelan, Alvin Martin, Alan Little) all of a sudden there was hope. That was a magical feeling.

i have to say Chesterfield away, 3.4 is right up there

we played poorly that day but only one player was on form.
Eastwood really did single handedly win that match for us - it wasnt just the hatrick, all those runs beating player after player.

whats more chesterfield had to win that game to have a chance of making the play offs and to thier credit showed immense passion and performed exceptionaly well...yet the mightly talent of a young mr eastwood was just too good for them...wow - that really was an amazing match. fantastic

bolton 5-2

hullbirdge sports friendly 11-1 :)

bournmeouth 5-3 jerone boere style

:)

Back