• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best ever 'keeper!

• Mervyn Cawston

Votes: 27 13.6%
  • Trevor Roberts

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Paul Sansome

Votes: 48 24.1%
  • Daniel Bentley

Votes: 15 7.5%
  • Darryl Flahavan

Votes: 49 24.6%
  • Tes Bramble

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Cameron Belford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simon Royce

Votes: 42 21.1%
  • Jim Stannard

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Mel Capleton

• Ted Smith :)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think some people on here saw mr Royce play .miles better than flavs :smile:

Nor could they have seen Paul Sansome play; a little better than Royce (in my opinion), miles better than Flavs.

As for the shortlist... no Andy Woodman, Federici, or less seriously Prudhoe, or Bart.

Danny Gay is still playing by the way; for Leiston in the Ryman Premier. Not exactly Southend's finest but put in a shift when required. Certainly more of a contributor to the cause than Bantz Belford.

Another big vote for John Burridge. From memory he played about 6 games for us. We won five and drew the other. He let in only 3 goals - two of them in a 4-2 win against Southport. He was the turning point in changing a bad run around this time of the year which ended in a promotion. Neil Freeman who he filled in for was also a good keeper as was (my earliest memories_ Peter Goy. Actually we have had some good keepers over the years.

As stated before this very much depends on how long you have supported the blues. For me it was a hard decision between Merv the swerve and Paul Sammy Sansome. Sure there have been good keepers since but none that I felt as safe with. Appologies to those before my time

I'd have included Neil Freeman, Brian Lloyd, Derek Bellotti, John Burridge, Malcolm Webster, Steve Mildenhall, Harry Threadgold and Peter Goy above many on the list... and I didn't even see the last two play!

Brian Lloyd! He was worse than me on LSD! Couldn't catch a cold and conceded goals from his own goal kicks!

As stated before this very much depends on how long you have supported the blues. For me it was a hard decision between Merv the swerve and Paul Sammy Sansome. Sure there have been good keepers since but none that I felt as safe with. Appologies to those before my time

This has pretty much nailed it. I'd say close the thread now. Darryl was an outstanding shot stopper and not demonstrated any better than the Man U game but a fifth defender he never was.

Back