• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best game this season?

Pubey

i was wondering what game people thought we played best in for 90mins. every win i have seen this season has had a period where the opposition have been allowed to get back into it, but for me it has to be yeovil, what a comeback!

We were rubbish in the first half against Yeovil.

I've not seen us have a sustained 90 minutes in which we can honestly say we were the better side. Barnet in the Cup is the closest I'd guess.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Jan. 05 2006,21:07)]We were rubbish in the first half against Yeovil.

I've not seen us have a sustained 90 minutes in which we can honestly say we were the better side. Barnet in the Cup is the closest I'd guess.
i didnt think we were too bad, the second half was an awesome performance. Col******r was a good display too

i didnt see the barnet game. i spose in our league there aren't really any whipping boys, every team is of a good standard and can make it difficult so a 90min pummling isnt really going to happen

Its hard to say over a 90 minute period but best match i have seen is yeovil. Amazing!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Jan. 05 2006,21:07)]We were rubbish in the first half against Yeovil.

I wouldn't say the Barnet game was the best 90 mins this season from what i saw, they had spells in the first half when they were on top.

Every game you play the opposition will have good spells. The Yeovil game obviously springs to mind but only for the second 45mins.

Didn't go to the Rotherham game but that must have been a pretty good all round performance to get 4 goals away from home (apart from the 2 conceded of course)?

Bristol City as an average 90 minute performance, but those last 20 mins against Yeovil was the best I've seen Southend play for years...

I dont think the win at Bradford got enough credit. We had just lost the first game of the season so morale may have been low and Valley Parade and the surrounding areas are not the most welcoming.

They started well but never looked like scoring and once we edged infront never gave them a sniff really. The did only have 10 men so guess hat helped a bi.

2nd would be Bristol City away and 3rd Col U - as thought they were never really in the game either....

DtS
ghostface.gif

I would have to say Yeovil, but I thought we looked good and solid against Tranmere. For grit and determination, I thought Huddersfield away was a great performance. For the best football, I would say last twenty against Yeovil and twenty mins either side of half time at Walsall.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Jan. 05 2006,22:22)]I dont think the win at Bradford got enough credit. We had just lost the first game of the season so morale may have been low and Valley Parade and the surrounding areas are not the most welcoming.

They started well but never looked like scoring and once we edged infront never gave them a sniff really. The did only have 10 men so guess hat helped a bi.

2nd would be Bristol City away and 3rd Col U - as thought they were never really in the game either....

DtS
ghostface.gif
Funny how the end result influences people's memory of the 90 minutes. We gifted you both your first and second goals, and after our equaliser we were the better team for a good spell. Following the second goal you were the better side in a fairly open game and killed it off like a good team. We were certainly in the game and for long periods.

<takes cover>

At the end of the day you won 3-1 in the derby, but I must say I'm mighty surprised if that's in the top of the table side's best 3 performances of the season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tr0ublegum @ Jan. 05 2006,23:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Jan. 05 2006,22:22)]I dont think the win at Bradford got enough credit. We had just lost the first game of the season so morale may have been low and Valley Parade and the surrounding areas are not the most welcoming.

DtS
ghostface.gif
Funny how the end result influences people's memory of the 90 minutes. We gifted you both your first and second goals, and after our equaliser we were the better team for a good spell. Following the second goal you were the better side in a fairly open game and killed it off like a good team. We were certainly in the game and for long periods.

<takes cover>

At the end of the day you won 3-1 in the derby, but I must say I'm mighty surprised if that's in the top of the table side's best 3 performances of the season.
Its special to me for walking pasy the North Bank on the way home and seeing the look of upset on your trampy fans faces
ghostface.gif

I thought 3-1 flattered us majorly in the derby. I wasn't complaining at the time, mind.

I'm trying to think of matches where we did't give the opposition a good spell on top of us. I've seen all the hone matches and can only think of Tranmere and Forest but neither of them were particularly good attacking performances from us. Huddersfield was a good performance, down to ten men for 40 minutes against one of the better teams in the league.

Overall I'd go for Yeovil still though. the second half was as good as we've played in many years, even if the first half wasn't brilliant.

its funny how different people view matches isnt it?
personally i thought that during the yeovil match we had all the possession yet managed to do nothing with it. However...the final twenty or so minutes was, well ... AMAZING! As for us dominating for a full 90 minutes i dont think that will ever happen as there will always be moments of play when the other team will threaten.

For me, Forest at home would probably rank as our best 90 minutes of the season. Although the opposition was lacklustre that day, it was a really controlled and disciplined performance by us - we were defensively solid, rarely looked like conceding and gradually turned the screw going forward the more the game went on. We should have won by a bigger margin.

Don't get me wrong, we've played much better in patches in other games - first halves against Tranmere and Oldham, for example, not to mention the blistering last 30 minutes against Yeovil - but overall, the Forest performance is one we should be looking to reproduce at every opportunity.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kris @ Jan. 06 2006,01:46)]For me, Forest at home would probably rank as our best 90 minutes of the season. Although the opposition was lacklustre that day, it was a really controlled and disciplined performance by us - we were defensively solid, rarely looked like conceding and gradually turned the screw going forward the more the game went on. We should have won by a bigger margin.

Don't get me wrong, we've played much better in patches in other games - first halves against Tranmere and Oldham, for example, not to mention the blistering last 30 minutes against Yeovil - but overall, the Forest performance is one we should be looking to reproduce at every opportunity.
I was just going to post the same thing.

There wasn't one blue tht had a bad game that day. Everyone did their job, and were totally disciplined. The screw was turned further and further until in the end Forest cracked.

It wasn't the best game by a long chalk; certainly the last 30 minutes v Yeovil was awesome and as a progressive attacking display, that ranks as probably the spell of the decade, but it's rarely possible to sustain that over an entire game. If we could, then we would grab an absolute hatful. The trouble is, if you start playing like that fromthe off and go in at half time 4 or 5 up, then it's really difficult to keep the pressure on and the foot naturally comes off the gas.

The best spell we've played in the last decade was the last 30 minutes against Yeovil, once the equaliser went in. It really was "Total Football"... most people I could see around me in the South Upper were grinning with disbelief: "is this really the same club that, two years ago, was losing 2-0 at home to Boston?"

However, as most people have observed correctly, we were poor in the first half - Yeovil were the better side, Darren Way was bossing the middle of the park, and the Glovers probably deserved their half time lead.

So, for most complete performance, I agree - I'll go with Forest at home. Nothing flashy, but really solid all over the park, especially in defence; and then from about 10 minutes' in to the second half, it was just all us... the goal was inevitable, really.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Jan. 05 2006,23:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (tr0ublegum @ Jan. 05 2006,23:08)]
[b said:

DtS
ghostface.gif

<takes cover>

Its special to me for walking pasy the North Bank on the way home and seeing the look of upset on your trampy fans faces
ghostface.gif
I rather suspected that had quite a lot to do with it and I don't blame you.

Just hoping what goes around, comes around....

Back