• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best Own Goal Ever Seen

Stats

aka Ian Poulter
Todays random topic

Whats the best own goal you've ever seen in a game involving the shrimpers

For me gotta be Rhys Weston's for Cardiff against us at Roots Hall in the 2000-01 season

Free kick swung in from the touchline, Weston emergered through the crowd to place a precision volley past the Cardiff keeper from 10-15yds

Pick that one out!!

you sure about the diving header Stats? I remember the same player playing for the same team around the same year when he scooped it over his keepers head from 6 yards out when the keeper had it covered
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Jan. 06 2006,08:43)]you sure about the diving header Stats?  I remember the same player playing for the same team around the same year when he scooped it over his keepers head from 6 yards out when the keeper had it covered
rock.gif
It was a complete slice - Damon Searle pumped the ball forward to the edge of the box, the keeper came out and Weston spotted him, which made him take his eye off it and completely slice the ball into the net behind him.

Classic moment, still the best own goal I've seen.

It wasn't 6 yards out. It was around 15 yards out from what I remember which made it even more hilarious. Plus the fact that it was the 89th minute in a match in which we'd been completely pummeled.

Close call for me between our management team

Aug 95 - Steve Tilson, a cracking half volley into the top corner away vs Pompey. A really clean strike, from the edge of the area IIRC but just happened to be facing the wrong way!

Mar 90? - Paul Brush, superbly lobbing Sammy IIRC from about 40 yards out.

Julian Hails vs Bristol City, October 1998 (I believe).

Cross came in from the right, Jinky covering from right-back, steered it into the bottom corner, giving Roycey no chance.

If he was a striker, it would have been blinding.

Lost the game 2-0

Yep, Weston's against the "mighty" Cardiff in the 89th minute takes an awful lot of beating. Shut their smug faces up for a few seconds, until some mad woman (yes, it was a woman) led the Bluebirds in a charge against F-block in the West stand. Oh, how the kiddies ran...

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Jan. 06 2006,10:46)]Dave Young at Derby in the Cup a beautifully placed backward header.
I remember that... made it 3-0 to them IIRC... it skidded off his spam head beautifully!

Was it me (a mere teenager at the time) or did Dave Young look about 60?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ Jan. 06 2006,09:08)]Close call for me between our management team

Aug 95 - Steve Tilson, a cracking half volley into the top corner away vs Pompey. A really clean strike, from the edge of the area IIRC but just happened to be facing the wrong way!

Mar 90? - Paul Brush, superbly lobbing Sammy IIRC from about 40 yards out.
Paul Brush for me as well, but it must have been at least 50 yards
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Jan. 06 2006,10:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Jan. 06 2006,10:46)]Dave Young at Derby in the Cup a beautifully placed backward header.
I remember that... made it 3-0 to them IIRC... it skidded off his spam head beautifully!

Was it me (a mere teenager at the time) or did Dave Young look about 60?
He looked 60 because he WAS 60. Had a longer neck that Victor the Giraffe.

On the o.g's in the Cup against Derby. What about Dave Martin's o.g. against them in the 7-0 defeat in the League Cup. That was from about 25 yards. In my memory that was a header.

Paul Wotton of Plymouth at Home Park during a 3-2 win ... if i remember rightly someone crossed from the left but Wotton seemed oblivious to the ball as it hit him on the chest and flew past the keeper.
The great Sada I'm Dire scored the winner too... great fun !!!
The Aldershot goal someone mentioned ... They managed 2 own goals that day in a 5-0 romp during the first of the back to back promotions, but cant remember any of their names.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BLUEBLOOD @ Jan. 06 2006,11:04)]Paul Wotton of Plymouth at Home Park during a 3-2 win ... if i remember rightly someone crossed from the left but Wotton seemed oblivious to the ball as it hit him on the chest and flew past the keeper.
The great Sada I'm Dire scored the winner too... great fun !!!
The Aldershot goal someone mentioned ... They managed 2 own goals that day in a 5-0 romp during the first of the back to back promotions, but cant remember any of their names.
Steve Wignall was one, I'm sure.
biggrin.gif

Back