• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best Own Goal Ever Seen

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Jan. 06 2006,11:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Jan. 06 2006,10:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Jan. 06 2006,10:46)]Dave Young at Derby in the Cup a beautifully placed backward header.
I remember that... made it 3-0 to them IIRC... it skidded off his spam head beautifully!

Was it me (a mere teenager at the time) or did Dave Young look about 60?
He looked 60 because he WAS 60. Had a longer neck that Victor the Giraffe.

On the o.g's in the Cup against Derby. What about Dave Martin's o.g. against them in the 7-0 defeat in the League Cup. That was from about 25 yards. In my memory that was a header.
Actually I think he was nearer 80 at the time. We came back to 3-2 in that game and Colin Morris was through for 3-3 when Bruce Rioch kicked him over the stand.

How the memory fades, I had forgotten that Dave Martin og.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Jan. 06 2006,11:24)]Sammy throwing the ball into his own net has to be the winner for me.
If it is the home vs. Oxford one on a Tuesday night, what a blinder.

Think Jack Douglas in the Carry On films, and you get the nature of the twitch that afflicted Sammy as the ball came slowly towards him in goal.
biggrin.gif

Now, if that had been Darryl!
wink.gif

I remember a 30 screamer into the top corner from Andy Sussex at the North Bank end some years ago when we were in the old Division One (now the Championship)...

I think it was against Bristol City, and I'm pretty sure it was a one touch volley

smile.gif

Best attempt at an own goal that I have seen was back in the '70s with Roberts in goal. Picture dank cold February night with minimal crowd and zero atmosphere. Ball comes to our defender in the centre circle. Opposition player decides he is bored with warming his hands on his crotch, and takes a mildly threatening step towards our player. Our noble combatant panics (he was clearly under the impression that their players were as immobile as ours) turns, and thrashes the ball back to his keeper. Roberts was patrolling the edge of his area, arms wrapped around his chest wondering if anyone would notice if he blagged a sip of hot chocolate from his flask. He looked up just in time to see the ball flying over his head in a Beckhamesque parabola. With mild curiosity he turned to watch the ball slide down the sky, cannon into the crossbar and rebound precisely into his arms. As the most exciting moment of a 0-0 draw, I distinctly saw a couple of eyebrows raised in the West Stand.. Then we all went back to sleep.

How I miss those days, that was PROPER football.
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Jan. 06 2006,11:24)]Sammy throwing the ball into his own net has to be the winner for me.
Fantastic og that one, you could hear a pin drop for a few seconds after the ball went in as not even the Oxford fans could believe what they were seeing! Infact that goal made up one of the advert trailers on the Euro '92 coverage soon after - think the voice-over was something like "I thought you said he'd had his eyes tested?!"  
laugh.gif

If I had to pick one though it would have to be Brushy's magnificent 40 yard volley over Sammy's head at Maidstone United in 89/90......if it had been at the right end we'd have been talking SUFC goal of the DECADE never mind season!!  
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Jan. 06 2006,11:52)]Best attempt at an own goal that I have seen was back in the '70s with Roberts in goal. Picture dank cold February night with minimal crowd and zero atmosphere. Ball comes to our defender in the centre circle. Opposition player decides he is bored with warming his hands on his crotch, and takes a mildly threatening step towards our player. Our noble combatant panics (he was clearly under the impression that their players were as immobile as ours) turns, and thrashes the ball back to his keeper. Roberts was patrolling the edge of his area, arms wrapped around his chest wondering if anyone would notice if he blagged a sip of hot chocolate from his flask. He looked up just in time to see the ball flying over his head in a Beckhamesque parabola. With mild curiosity he turned to watch the ball slide down the sky, cannon into the crossbar  and rebound precisely into his arms. As the most exciting moment of  a 0-0 draw, I distinctly saw a couple of eyebrows raised in the West Stand.. Then we all went back to sleep.

How I miss those days, that was PROPER football.  
sad.gif
This is a true story. Only the facts have been changed to make it more interesting.

We had no 0-0 draws with Roberts (either of them) in goal throughout all of the winter months, throughout the entire 70s.
rock.gif

Nice evocative description though; can almost smell the bovril.

Phil Whelans tremendous volley at Birmingham in the League Cup. I even had a 'waaahaaay' moment when that went in as we were getting sh*tted on at the time. Classic.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ Jan. 06 2006,14:38)]This is a true story. Only the facts have been changed to make it more interesting.

We had no 0-0 draws with Roberts (either of them) in goal throughout all of the winter months, throughout the entire 70s.  
rock.gif

Nice evocative description though; can almost smell the bovril.
You must be wrong, Mick, all I ever did through the Seventies winter months was huddle on the terrace freezing to death and wondering why I bothered.... They were ALL dire 0-0 draws.

laugh.gif

Back