• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best restaurants in the area

Elachis in woodham, its a bit out the way for some people but they have an Elvis Night on a thursday,which is brill! Excellent food, good people and very inexpencive! Elachis

Caf's

Estuary Cafe - The arches - although a little over priced for what you get
The Buttery's - good full English served all day

Restaurants

Stefano's - Milton Road Westcliff
The Shagor - Hamlet Court Road
Farthings - Southchurch Road (simple food but well done i.e. chicken kiev and steak)
Southchurch Tandoori - Southchurch Road (surprisingly good)
Angel Inn - Shoebury (near Asda)
Ed's Easy Diner at Bluewater - great alternative to Maccy D's or Burger King
The Fish House (obviously!!!)

Does any know if there's an indian delivery service that does Thali ?
or indeed a decent vegetarian set meal.
I've never found a Take away or Delivery that does this.

wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ July 19 2006,14:00)]Does any know if there's an indian delivery service that does Thali ?

wow.gif
The New Indian Valley on the London Road in Leigh was the most magnificent veggie Indian food I've ever tasted. Sadly, they never re-opened following a kitchen fire over a year ago
sad.gif

I've never found an adequate replacement in the borough.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ July 19 2006,14:00)]Does any know if there's an indian delivery service that does Thali ?  

wow.gif
No.

I will let you into a secret as well.....

The chefs don't like cooking them because they have to cook small amounts of eight(ish) different dishes

If I have to have a takeaway I usually just order a few of my favourite vegetable dishes such as Tarka Dal, Sag Paneer etc...

I have only tried to Shagor once.. I thougt it was excellent.. not only the food and service but the bit of extra space between the tables..I will be doing my usual and giving the place a right hammering untill I am sick of it, well once the top comes off this heatwave.

Oh dear, reading throuhg this I realise how few times I have been out for meals in Southend when I know the best places in Loughborough, Portsmouth and Whistler.

Usually go to the Pipasha for a curry and get a Chinese from Leigh Broadway's Hong Kong that now deliver in the evenings. Somehow, in spite of the heat, I'm actually getting hungry!!

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ July 19 2006,10:34)]Has anyone been to the Popular Restaurant in Leigh?
About 25 years ago, yes...

laugh.gif

Err, what qualifies as "the area"? I can recommend some lovely places in Greenwich & Blackheath, if you're interested...

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ July 19 2006,09:47)]Azzurro in London Road, Westcliff - close to the junction with Hamlet Court Road.
I'd vouch for that too, bloody cracking food.

However my favourite place to go is the Boatyard in Old Leigh for Sunday lunch. If you get a nice days weather, theres nowhere better - although admittedly its a fair bit pricey.

One place that deserves a good mention is the Woodmans in Thundersley, used to be pub but has been changed into a non-smoking pub with no drinking area, so its a restaurant! Anyway, its been refurbished and I have to say the food was superb at a reasonable price, would definately go there again if the wallets a little to thin for the Boatyard

I can recommend a few good places in Jávea! (PS - Pretty sure I spied Stephen Merchant (of "The Office" and "Extras" fame) wandering past the beach bar this evening).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ July 19 2006,15:48)]Pipasha
Good shout. Buffet night Wednesday and Sunday lunchtimes - eat as much as you like for six quid or so. Gorgeous Indian food - my favourite.

Also, good call goes to the Hasina in Eastwood - another top indian restaurant.

For fish 'n chips and take-aways etc, you can't beat the Hong Kong House, also in Eastwood; opposite the Hasina.

Thorpe bay broadway has a a good indian - Cafe Masala ( havn't tried the other place there but is recommended elsewhere on this thread), a good chinese takeaway - Oriana, a good chinese restaurant - Mr Pings and even the chippy isn't too bad. So generally I don't go far !

Mario's (formerly the Earlybird on eastern esplanade) is good for a breakfast and the Halfway House does a good carvery .

Pre-match is normally a Steak sandwich and a couple of Kronenberg Blancs in Bar Vic

Alvaro's just off Hamlet court road and i highly recommend the

Bife a Frigideira
Slices of fillet steak served with a julienne of ham in a tasty white wine sauce with garlic. £15.50

Lovely place.

Full English wise i dont think you can beat a couple of places down the Arches.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ July 19 2006,11:15)]The Buttery... every match day morning
wink.gif
Nothing better than a bacon sausage sandwich before a long day out or in your case csj, quite a few sandwichs. Im pretty sure its not called that any more, change there name a while ago, gone upmarket.

I think sometimes you can only judge a place properly if you have eaten there a few times. The biggest problem is down to turnover of chefs and also if they are on shift. although any decent Restaurant should cope when such things hit them.

My personal favourites are

Stefano's - Westcliff
Manoly's - Leigh

Places I have tried and liked

The Boatyard - eaten there a few times and never a bad meal and the location pushes it up the list for me.

Pipe of Port - Good food but quite limited if you dont like Pies.

Fleur de Provence - Great food but very pricey with pouncey middle aged couples dining there. Food about the same quality as Stefano's but £50/60 more expensive.

Worst meal for while goes to

Cafe Rococo - I ordered the pigeon and rosti, and both were burnt so left a nasty taste in the mouth. The bill was originally priced at £90 for two and would expect better for this price, if Burger King does not dish out burnt food why should this place. My main problem was my sister in-law's new flame had chosen the restaurant and raved about it so did not want to make too much fuss.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ July 20 2006,14:21)]Cafe Rocco - I ordered the pigeon and rosti, and both we burnt so left a nasty taste in the mouth. The bill was originally priced at £90 for two and would expect better for this price
Can't believe they charged you to cook your own food!

laugh.gif

good to see you are busy at work Naps - or are you on your tea break?

I guess you need it after giving the elderly residents their lunch and tucking them in for their afternoon nap.
tounge.gif

Back