• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best XI that have played at Roots Hall

Maldon Blues

Yeeeeeeellows
One of the best things about last night's game, in my opinion, is seeing so many internationals stars plying their trade inside Roots Hall.

Made me think of what could be the best XI of players who have played at Roots Hall.

I'm sure there's plenty to choose from; the likes of Cech, Lampard, Terry, Ballack, Ronaldo, Rooney etc in recent years. Stars of the Liverpool side '79 plus characters from the past like Bert Trautman.

Players like Lineker and Gascoigne with Spurs in 1989, the marvellous Kinkladze!

Not forgetting the likes of Peter Beardsley and George Best late in their careers.

Who would be in your team?!

Flahavan, Hunt (Francis), Hammell, Sodje, Prior, Maher, Clarke, Campbell-Ryce, Gower, Eastwood, Hooper (Lawson)

Was thinking about exactly the same thing on the way home.

Tough call between Shilton and Cech, but I think I'd give it to Cech.

Right-back: Wes Brown or Rob Jones?
Left-back: Ashley Cole, better than even Chrissy Powell
Centre-backs: Terry and Mark Wright?
Centre-mid: Gazza and Rio Alderton sneaks in ahead of Ballack and Lampard
Right-wing: Ronaldo
Left-wing: Joe Cole
Up front: Rooney and Lineker, although I could be tempted to go Collymore.

Ashley was good wasn't he? I'd go for Gazza/Kinkladze in the middle.

Liverpool 1979
Clemence, Neal, Hughes, Thompson, R.Kennedy, Hansen, Dalglish, Case, Fairclough, McDermott (Heighway 77), Souness

Spurs 1989
Thorsvedt, M.Thomas (Howells 55), Van den Hauwe, Fenwick, P. Allen (Walsh 90), Mabbutt, Gascoigne, Stewart, Nayim, Sedgley, Lineker

Chelsea '72
Included Bonetti, Hollins , Webb and Osgood

Bergkamp played for Arsenal in a friendly

Liverpool 1979
Clemence, Neal, Hughes, Thompson, R.Kennedy, Hansen, Dalglish, Case, Fairclough, McDermott (Heighway 77), Souness

Spurs 1989
Thorsvedt, M.Thomas (Howells 55), Van den Hauwe, Fenwick, P. Allen (Walsh 90), Mabbutt, Gascoigne, Stewart, Nayim, Sedgley, Lineker

Chelsea '72
Included Bonetti, Hollins , Webb and Osgood

Bergkamp played for Arsenal in a friendly

You could interchange Souness and Rio Alderton quite easily. Similar players.

Might include Phil Neal as my right-back as well.

Hansen never scored the winner against Egypt in a world cup so he can only make the bench.

Arsenal put out a strong side back in 1995. Definitely included Platt (who scored) and maybe Adams / Dixon / Winterburn?

Cant argue too much with that and I appreciate that its a tough call between Lampard and Alderton. Also I dont think Ronnie Whelan would be far off to be fair.
I take the point regarding Wright but the irony is that when he was the best centre half in the country in 1987, he seemed to get outjumped by the useless Mcdonough every time in the game against Derby.

Of course Risbridger would have to be a substitute for the tiring Gazza in the last minute.

Berkamp is the best invidual I think from the list above. A world legend in my eyes. Amazed no oen has gone for Scott Forbes.

Jimmy Greaves played in Danny's testimonial- though he was at least 50-something & 2 stone plus overweight, he threaded a 'super little ball' (cf Ray Wilkins) through the midfield a la Platini in his prime. Like I tell the young 'uns in my 6-a-side team, 'talent is permanent, form is temporary...'

For Me:

Peter Shilton

Phil Neal Emlyn Hughes Alan Hanson Tommy Smith

Ronaldo Graeme Souness Ray Kennedy Paul Gascoigne

Bobby Charlton George Best

Sod it if some of the midfield are out of position, they're so good they could handle it!

I thought it was when he was player manager of Preston in 1974
But having checked he may not have been in charge in 74-75 when we played them (being manager in 73-74).
I always think he played, but it was a long while ago

He deffo played, I was at the game and saw him.

And saw Best play for Bournmuff v us, he was complete cack that day but it was very sunny and with only a handful watching and it being a nice warm day there was plenty of room on the South Bank to stretch out and soak up the sun.

How about players who have only played against us in their prime? That knocks out people like Best and Charlton.

If we extended it to away games as well, could we include Batistuta? I think he played for Fiorentina in the Anglo-Italian cup.

Actually, last nights Chelsea side on paper was probably one of the strongest teams in the world that could have been put out.

They fielded:

The recognised best keeper in the world
Current England captain
Current German captain
Leading scorer in Premiership, the best league in the world
3 other English players with a combined total of 187 caps

Last nights Chelsea side could go anywhere in the world and give any team a bloody good game. We did extremely well.

Back