• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great little read that interview , shame he was a complete nut job , funny but absolute psycho.

Some decent Southend references in there:

What was your time south of the border like? I barely spoke English so couldn’t understand Paul Sturrock. I remember him kicking over a board one day and shouting at us in the dressing-room, so I asked the player next to me what he was saying. He was English but just replied, ‘I’ve no idea either’.

Who has the most annoying habits? I played with a guy called Anthony Grant who was so superstitious he wouldn’t change his pants when he was playing well. It was disgusting and it almost got to the point you didn’t want him to do well because it was time for them to change.

What’s the best wind-up you’ve been involved in? At Southend I came out of training one day and my car was missing. I walked around looking for it but there was no sign. I was away to phone the police when the person on reception said they would take care of it, they’d be able to find it by tomorrow. In the end I had to walk home and when I came back the next day, the car still wasn’t there. So I was ready to call the police again, but we had to go to training. After we finished the car was back again — the other players had nicked it and hid it round the corner.

What’s your worst moment in the game? Seeing my move to West Ham fall through. I’d been allowed to go and train so Sam Allardyce wanted to sign me. In the end the Southend chairman wouldn’t agree a fee. I still wonder what would have happened if that had gone through.

What was Luggy like to work for? He was brilliant. He made a huge effort and in the end I felt like one of his family. He would tell me that he was making dinner so I had to come round. I’d go to his house and making me feel so welcome helped me settle.

Who is the most boring person you’ve met?
At Southend I played with a guy called Ryan Hall who was decent but he loved to talk about it. Every Monday you had to listen to him going through everything he did and how good his left foot was.

After this he went to a turkish side, not sure if he still there tho.

According to every football stats sites etc, he’s without a club. Such a waste of talent on his day he could be a world beater but also a massive liability.

He could still do a job... We're short of defenders and strikers and he can play ANYWHERE!

When at his best for us, yes. The way he is now, no. As I mentioned before, I saw a few of the games he played for Dundee on the TV. He was a big lump who had piled on the pounds. He was a lot slower. He was making a lot more mistakes at the back. Probably why he's without a club. Anyway, if you heard some of the things he did when last here, you wouldn't want him anywhere near our players. Probably the most disruptive player we have ever had. Away from football, a lovely bloke. In amongst football, tantrums, fights, scissors, sulks, bust ups, stopping the coach to pray, getting off the coach in a huff, making his own way home. Wanting to train on his own. They are things already out there and been mentioned before. There are a few more I know that I won't mention. So no thanks.

When at his best for us, yes. The way he is now, no. As I mentioned before, I saw a few of the games he played for Dundee on the TV. He was a big lump who had piled on the pounds. He was a lot slower. He was making a lot more mistakes at the back. Probably why he's without a club. Anyway, if you heard some of the things he did when last here, you wouldn't want him anywhere near our players. Probably the most disruptive player we have ever had. Away from football, a lovely bloke. In amongst football, tantrums, fights, scissors, sulks, bust ups, stopping the coach to pray, getting off the coach in a huff, making his own way home. Wanting to train on his own. They are things already out there and been mentioned before. There are a few more I know that I won't mention. So no thanks.

Yeah, I've heard a few of those things. What I said was tongue in cheek. My belief that Bilel could actually come back and make a difference died when he did come back v Crewe at Wembley and didn't show very much of anything in that game.

Yeah, I've heard a few of those things. What I said was tongue in cheek. My belief that Bilel could actually come back and make a difference died when he did come back v Crewe at Wembley and didn't show very much of anything in that game.

Yeah a shame really, with a different brain he could have played at the top.

Has he not got some serious driving charges waiting for him in Scotland that might be actioned on if he came to the UK? If he hasn't had them dealt with there is possibly an arrest warrant issued.
As others have said, when he was good he was great but when he was poor he was dreadful.

He had natural ability and flair - which is sadly lacking in the clones who have been coached in academies since they were 8 years old.

It is strange how sometimes you just don't see what others do in a player and have a very different opinion to most - have supported Blues for 50 years now and, for various reasons, he is my all time least favourite player ever to wear our shirt.

It is strange how sometimes you just don't see what others do in a player and have a very different opinion to most - have supported Blues for 50 years now and, for various reasons, he is my all time least favourite player ever to wear our shirt.

Below even Nile Ranger? I can understand why you think the way you do, Bilel's antics certainly weren't conducive to building team spirit.

Despite that however he remains one of the most naturally talented players I've seen at Southend. I loved watching him, a player who always got you out if your seat. That goal he scored at home against Northampton was my all time favourite, at least until Kelman's 'Beckham' moment.

Below even Nile Ranger? I can understand why you think the way you do, Bilel's antics certainly weren't conducive to building team spirit.

Despite that however he remains one of the most naturally talented players I've seen at Southend. I loved watching him, a player who always got you out if your seat. That goal he scored at home against Northampton was my all time favourite, at least until Kelman's 'Beckham' moment.

Don’t forget Crewe and Northampton away and the Barnet hat trick.........

Back