• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bonfire night

Fireworks? Total @rse and a waste of money?

• Total voters

MK Shrimper

Striker
Are you bothering or waiting to the weekend to set your hard earned on fire, throw it in the air and go "oooooh!".....

I think a firework display is the least you can do to celbrate Jesus' birthday.

I like to let off fireworks at the weekend because I can drink to excess without worrying about work the next day.

Essex man is judged by the expense and danger of his firework display just as surely as he is judged by the expense of his vehicle or holiday.

Last edited:
I like to let off fireworks at the weekend because I can drink to excess without worrying about work the next day.

Essex man is judged ny the expense and danger of his firework display just as surely as he is judged by the expense of his vehicle or holiday.

...and his Christmas lights?

They always remind me of a line from an Aimee Mann song (written about July 4th, but the point remains)

"Today's the 4th of July
Another June has gone by
And as they light up our town
I just think what a waste of gunpowder and sky"

I do love sausages though and they appear to be synonymous with November 5th.

I've not been to a firework display since the mid 90's when I was employed to be MC for the Rayleigh display.
My comments over the tannoy of 'Oooh, ain't it ****ing lovely' and 'that one was well ****' didn't go down well.

What made things worse was that I nipped off for a dump halfway through (including a quick knuckle shuffle) and I forgot to turn off the mic.

On my return, I was faced with the familiar sight of angry parents/ crying children.

Kind Regards

Trick or Treat was originally a Scottish thing as I understand it.....

Let them have it & we'll reclaim English inventions such as the telephone, television, haggis & the kilt :p

As others have said what a bunch of miserable killjoys (and this is coming from me!!!) - as long as fireworks aren't an excuse of the cranially challenged to make their home villages/towns/cities a dead ringer for Beiruit circa 1986 then I've got no issues with them!

Agree 100%. MK - you are sometimes a bit of a miserable sod. Personally, I love firework displays, and will be going to one on Saturday.

So ner.

I'm hoping to leave work early tomorrow to go to my son's nursery display.

So also ner.

I one had one in my back garden. We spent about £300 on fireworks that are usually used in public displays. Now that was a laugh!

Which reminds me, my mate's little lad came home from school yesterday, and his dad said "what have you been doing today son?2

"Sticking bangers up frogs arseholes dad"

"Rectums son, rectums"

"Yes dad blew to ****ing bits"

Trick or Treat was originally a Scottish thing as I understand it.....

Actually it was originally an British/Irish thing, as similar practices were carried out in Scotland, Ireland and Northern England during the dark ages known as souling, where children and poor folk would go door to door to sing and say prayers for the dead in return for cakes on Hallowmas (November 1). Shakespeare mentions the practice in his comedy The Two Gentlemen of Verona (1593), when Speed accuses his master of "puling [whimpering or whining] like a beggar at Hallowmas.

Regarding the poll, I think it is another where your personal circumstances come in to play. i.e. those who are for tend to have children and those against do not. To see how kids enjoy Halloween, Bonfire night and Xmas returns the magic of these days, to what we once experienced, namely when we were kids. Lets not deprive our children the fun we had.

Last edited:
Regarding the poll, I think it is another where your personal circumstances come in to play. i.e. those who are for tend to have children and those against do not. To see how kids enjoy Halloween, Bonfire night and Xmas returns the magic of these days, to what we once experienced, namely when we were kids. Lets not deprive our children the fun we had.

Bah you and your common sense :p

The thing about most of these things is that they are for the smaller person in your life i.e. kids.If you had youngens then the crap that is bonfire night trick or treating and christmass take on a whole new meaning,its all about the kiddage.

Back